Wiki Posts
Search

LAX/DEN - NRT Award Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

LAX/DEN - NRT Award Availability?

Hi folks,

I'd like to book a business class flight from either LAX or DEN to NRT for myself and my spouse. I've never been on a 787, so this would be a fun first for us!

I'd like to fly next August, and I have enough miles to book right now. But the website shows no availability.

So, I figured I'd ask here--how tough is it to book this leg? I'm flexible on the departure date, but if inventory isn't going to open up, I figure I should start looking at other options.

What do you think, will United release seats on this leg, or do they typically fill up with paying customers? Any advice from you fine folks would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
MarcusBWI, I moved your post from the "Ask a Basic Q." thread to create its own thread, as this topic could well garner a number of opinions or suggestions going beyond the purpose of the former thread. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm seeing a similar issue in May. Many other gateway cities to NRT have availability, but the 787 flights are zeroed out in both Y and C on the various dates I can travel (and several around them). I wonder if UA is intentionally making it harder to get an award on the 787?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Hi folks,

I'd like to book a business class flight from either LAX or DEN to NRT for myself and my spouse. I've never been on a 787, so this would be a fun first for us!

I'd like to fly next August, and I have enough miles to book right now. But the website shows no availability.

So, I figured I'd ask here--how tough is it to book this leg? I'm flexible on the departure date, but if inventory isn't going to open up, I figure I should start looking at other options.

What do you think, will United release seats on this leg, or do they typically fill up with paying customers? Any advice from you fine folks would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Since changing an award ticket without changing origin or destination is free, it's a good idea to book something you can find now, and watch the availability of your desired flight. Another 787 option is SFO-KIX.

IMO the 787 is really not that much fun. Seats are exactly the same as other sCO widebody aircraft. You'll likely be much better off with ANA's 777-300ER. Much better seats and much better service.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA will typically open seats on those routes closer to departure if they are unsold.

Originally Posted by blug
You'll likely be much better off with ANA's 777-300ER. Much better seats and much better service.
Yes, well worth the extra 10,000 miles each way.

Or if you really want to try the 787, fly NH SJC-NRT.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
With the deval, there seems to be a ton of ANA F availability to the US even in the summer.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
With the deval, there seems to be a ton of ANA F availability to the US even in the summer.
I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it!

OP, I've seen saver space on the 787s before - is your *silver status with United? If so, you can lock something in now and enjoy free routing changes later on. I've flown on the 787 and while the difference in humidity is noticeable and the larger windows are a plus, I would focus on the most comfortable product getting you there. ANA C, as others have suggested, is nice, and even LAX-ICN-NRT on Asiana, with the new A380.

You could even fly the other direction with a stopover in Europe.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
DEN - NRT is almost always open 3 days before in J for award. But you may not have LAX - DEN open close in.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody who replied. I hadn't even looked at ANA because I assumed the mile cost would be way too high on partner airlines. But for only 10k more per person, it definitely makes a lot of sense. And it looks like premium seats have wide open availability, which is awesome!

Thanks again for the help.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Thanks to everybody who replied. I hadn't even looked at ANA because I assumed the mile cost would be way too high on partner airlines. But for only 10k more per person, it definitely makes a lot of sense. And it looks like premium seats have wide open availability, which is awesome!
Award miles needed:
N.America - Japan, business class, one way, UA - 65K
N.America - Japan, business class, one way, *A - 75K.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the 787 ride is high priority, LAX-PVG with a connection to NRT might be another option, at least to get the ball rolling.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, MR Gold (lifetime)
SFO to KIX on a 787 may also be an option you might want to look into. I'm seeing 'saver' availability in Business class in August of 2015 right now.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SW Preferred, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Etihad Gold Elite
I noticed this when i was looking DEN-NRT also. It wasn't even presenting itself as a full award fare booking option. Just GONE! I almost started a thread about this too so I'm glad someone else did. Thanks for all the feedback. Great reminders of work arounds too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.