Wiki Posts
Search

Need help booking a trip IAH-SYD-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Need help booking a trip IAH-SYD-SIN

I'm hoping that someone can help me. I'm trying to book a work trip leaving from IAH, going to Sydney, Australia on the day after Labor Day (9/2), then to Singapore that following weekend (9/6 or 9/7), and coming back from Singapore sometime late the following week (leaving either Thursday 9/11, or Friday 9/12). I can't get this booking to work on United.com, and of course it is not very helpful in telling me where the problem lies.

Aren't these all major airports that should have multiple daily flights, or am I missing something here?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Aren't these all major airports that should have multiple daily flights, or am I missing something here?
Just because they are major airports doesn't mean UA flies between them.

You can get to SYD on UA via LAX or SFO, but UA probably won't sell you a ticket between SYD and SIN. The carriers on that route would include SQ and QF. QF also recently started flying DFW-SYD. In any event, that itinerary is going to require multiple carriers. This may be easiest for you to book through a travel agent.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Find what you want on google.com/flights using multi city, then click through to United. I tried your itinerary with flights on 9/2, 9/6, and 9/11, and got an itinerary for $2156, bookable on the United site, with JetStar on the SYD-SIN portion.

Last edited by jbeckett; Aug 22, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Find what you want on google.com/flights using multi city, then click through to United. I tried your itinerary with flights on 9/2, 9/6, and 9/11, and got an itinerary for $2156, bookable on the United site, with JetStar on the SYD-SIN portion.
Thanks.

And yes, I will book through my work travel agency, just wanted to get a high level understanding of available travel times for a discussion with my boss. I was kind of surprised that UA could not accommodate the itinerary (either directly or via partner airlines) through their site.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
It's not horribly common for them to sell partner flights that they are not codeshared on through UA.com. They do sometimes show up, but not always.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Just be warned, Jetstar is an LCC the equivalent of AirTran

Much better to buy a premium economy ("business") ticket on Scoot (flyscoot.com) between SYD and SIN, or get a proper flight on SQ.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
It's not horribly common for them to sell partner flights that they are not codeshared on through UA.com. They do sometimes show up, but not always.
Agreed, UA will often sell tickets on other carriers' metal (noncodeshare). I think ticketing on SQ through UA is a problem though.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by harryhv
Just be warned, Jetstar is an LCC the equivalent of AirTran

Much better to buy a premium economy ("business") ticket on Scoot (flyscoot.com) between SYD and SIN, or get a proper flight on SQ.
Definitely SQ over Qantas, even more so Jetstar. You could try booking via phone through SQ, their web won't handle it. Also, Air NZ and SQ have an alliance with both having direct flights from Christchurch and Auckland to SIN. You could fly one way United to SYD, then short Jetstar/Virgin/Air NZ to either city. Pick up SQ there for rest of trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.