Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I'm imagining Delta Air Lines must have recently announced similar changes to the food and beverage service served on there own metal?
Nope.

DL has had fresh food on RJs for a while but the cut-off for service is 900 mile flights, not 800.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
See pictures here.

Among other things, it looks like there's something called a "Strawberry Fields Salad" and a GF Tomato Basic Soup with a Shrimp Salad on the side. Side shrimp salad looks reasonably tasty, with tomatoes and cucumbers in the base.
I had the Strawberry Fields Salad on the 787 on the Friday 2 PM LAX-IAH flight. Since my seat was a waitlisted award upgrade, by the time I could select a seat, I was stuck with 5L.

The rest of the cabin got the hot chicken entree (forget what it was now), and then the FA approaches our row and begins with, "you're gonna hate me..." and then describes the only option, the salad, featuring cold chicken.

Each one of us left with this option asked if we could be comped something from the BOB menu in the back, and the FA said we could purchase it if we really wanted it.

So I took the gamble on the salad. It was okay, but it's just too sugary. The fruit plus the raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing served with it (provided by the same company that provides the ranch dressing in United clubs) makes it a sticky, sugary mess. The FA was right -- I did wish I could have the hot entree. The cream of mushroom soup accompanying it is mediocre.

Maybe this is an early version of the upgraded menu and not the full one, so I'll have to see the new rollout before passing any judgment.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Good news! Looking forward to the improvements. ^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
they have completely forgotten about their long haul Business and First class meals.

Those are still dismal by any international carrier standards.
Their intra-Asia service is very dismal too on HKGSIN and NRTSIN routes!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
How about introducing COFFEE? This would make a big difference in all cabins!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Great news - baby steps. If this improves UA's performance, then hopefully we'll see more in the same direction.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Does this update help catering for international long-haul flights?

"Betweeen US, Canada, and Mexico"

i.e. SFO-HKG , GlobalFirst
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I think that strategy would damage the F value proposition given its stated MSRP. It'd be perceived as UA asking an additional $200 or $300 and providing a $10 F&B credit in return. Quantitative approach not to UA's advantage.
Good point. But consider that UA has not been shy about changing the denominator in other dimensions of its value proposition, e.g., Million Miler status, *A partner awards, United Club bar offerings, etc.

Bringing the BOB menu into F would have been one such enhancement that I'd welcome, in contrast to the long list of diminutions we've seen. That's why I was trying to get a handle on what this new 'investment' is all about. If UA spends money on crockery and cloth napkins for the RJ's while still serving food with lower quality than found on the BOB menu, that is not a change I will like very much.

I'll wait and see what these new menus taste like before passing judgement, but I don't think I'm the only FTer who would put the food quality at the top of my priority list and be able to see past the aura of an 'exclusive' F menu.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:07 am

Off to a good start, nice to see the change publicized.

And even a plate for the bread. Though I would have figured a napkin would suffice.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
I think this is excellent news, thank you UA Insider. Since I fly 95% F/J and 5% on RJ these changes are certainly welcomed!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
In the end, management continues it's painfully slow movement towards reinstating pre merger UA levels of service. These guys are so hard headed its crazy.

Originally Posted by eng3
Is this really an improvement? It sounds like my warm entry is being changed to a cold (possibly warm) sandwich or salad. Basically what you pay for in Y.
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The announcement states the lunch meals on flights under 2299 miles will get salad and sandwich. Dinner meal options remain unchanged for those flights.
I was confused by this as well. So now LAX-ORD, or LAX-IAD, or DEN-LGA will no longer have an entree but instead a salad or sandwich option? How is this not a downgrade?

Originally Posted by ianmanka
Each one of us left with this option asked if we could be comped something from the BOB menu in the back, and the FA said we could purchase it if we really wanted it.
Unacceptable response. I don't blame the FA, but her employer.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And even a plate for the bread. Though I would have figured a napkin would suffice.
I'm quite pleased to see the bread plate return.

It will be interesting to see the RJ meal enhancements details.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Does this update help catering for international long-haul flights?

"Betweeen US, Canada, and Mexico"

i.e. SFO-HKG , GlobalFirst
Nope. Those changes (in Y) are coming in "mid-2015" according to the announcement.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve heard you loud and clear, so we’re cooking up a new and improved onboard dining experience. After a thorough menu review and extensive research, we will be making a multi-million dollar investment in our onboard food and beverage options through mid-2015, introducing improvements in all of our cabins. We’ve already begun to make immediate changes to menu items that you’ve told us need to be addressed. See below for the full details.

Mainline premium cabins within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and most of Mexico:
United Express premium cabins:
United Economy on long-haul international flights:

We’ll keep you posted through the coming months as you begin to see these investments in the onboard dining experience come to fruition.

UA Insider
Call me a negative nellie, but there's a lot of "plans in progress" which we've heard from United on a lot of things and are still waiting on them to come to be. The actual details will be helpful. So instead of chicken and shrimp rotation are they going to just add steak and say its an improvement? Also, while I applaud these changes (esp when I actually see them happening), I note that again they are upgrading economy long-haul meals but doing nothing to the front cabins.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
I do like the addition of the Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Much improvement over the Heineken.
+1 (or perhaps I should say 5 after last nights TATL)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ianmanka
So I took the gamble on the salad. It was okay, but it's just too sugary. The fruit plus the raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing served with it (provided by the same company that provides the ranch dressing in United clubs) makes it a sticky, sugary mess.
The salad came pre-dressed?

Typically I have put on my own dressing from the small package / container they provide, and make sure not to put on too much.

The fresh fruit (this was a separate plate or bowl, right?) is hit or miss, but it does seem like recently the quality and freshness has been higher. Perhaps because it is summer time and fruit, well, should be fresh in the summer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.