FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:02 am
transportprof

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I think that strategy would damage the F value proposition given its stated MSRP. It'd be perceived as UA asking an additional $200 or $300 and providing a $10 F&B credit in return. Quantitative approach not to UA's advantage.
Good point. But consider that UA has not been shy about changing the denominator in other dimensions of its value proposition, e.g., Million Miler status, *A partner awards, United Club bar offerings, etc.

Bringing the BOB menu into F would have been one such enhancement that I'd welcome, in contrast to the long list of diminutions we've seen. That's why I was trying to get a handle on what this new 'investment' is all about. If UA spends money on crockery and cloth napkins for the RJ's while still serving food with lower quality than found on the BOB menu, that is not a change I will like very much.

I'll wait and see what these new menus taste like before passing judgement, but I don't think I'm the only FTer who would put the food quality at the top of my priority list and be able to see past the aura of an 'exclusive' F menu.