Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Family Elder has 2 hr transit @ SFO. To go meet & assist them. Fully refundable fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Elder has 2 hr transit @ SFO. To go meet & assist them. Fully refundable fare?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by danM
While TSA pre-check won't work, if you have Clear, you can use that... (which is what I did when I got a gate pass to go and meet my wife and two sons at the gate a little while back)
I thought I was the only person on FT with Clear! Combined with Pre-Check it's pretty sweet, but its limited reach really stings now that we've moved from SFO to BOS. I can't see us renewing.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PVDProf
AA opted for the hold policy, and does not offer 24 hour refunds. Holds aren't available within7 days of travel.
But refunds are available on AA within 7 days of travel. It is a baffling policy but they seem to like it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
xmlsoa, how did it go? Did you get to visit your relative?
Thank you for asking. It was good to see them and spend some time talking (also to receive them right at the gate, and take them to the food court).

I will keep the Gate pass thing in mind if it works without issue, if such a situation comes up in the future. How do you get one anyways? I am not Gold anymore, but might hit Status again if I start frequent flying.

When I booked it I asked the booking agent..
"I may not be able to make this trip at the last minute or miss this flight. Will that be okay?"
"Yes, sir. Perfectly alright and you will receive a full refund".

Fact is, several times when I was Gold with CO, I would end up missing flights due to work/ client reasons at the last minute.

PS: I haven't looked at pages 2 and 3 but wow.. so much attention
BTW - Their flights in and out were both overbooked.. So, if Airlines can do that to manage their business inventory and offload passengers at times, with or without compensation.. I think something small like this is NOT BAD once in a blue moon.

PS: There seems to be an interesting debate on the..
- Gate Passes
- Refund /Cancellation policies

Could we not have a WIKI with a comparative Table/ Chart that maps the policies of the Major Carriers? The mods from various Airline forums could put individual items together from each Airlines knowledge base.

Notes: If for some reason or emergency / urgent such thing if someone needs steps on how I did it.

- Checked FlySFO for flights departing at night or early am from SFO
- Figured the best prices would be flights for shorter distance or so

I MATRIX ITA searched for Intra-California flight lengths. Funny thing was, a vegas flight ended up being cheapest / minimal weight on the card.

PS: When I cancelled for refund, they said it would take 7-10 business days. Weird? I'll check online for card statement.

Last edited by xmlsoa; Aug 22, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:53 am

Where did you end up parking for 2-3 hours?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by danM
I second (or third/fourth or whatever) the gate pass suggestion. At that time of night, things are lightly loaded anyway, so there should be no issues. If ian agent denies you, get in a different line and try a different agent (the in person equivalent to "hang up and call again")

While TSA pre-check won't work, if you have Clear, you can use that... (which is what I did when I got a gate pass to go and meet my wife and two sons at the gate a little while back)
It's called AGAST

AGAST.....Alternate gate agent, second Try

Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Fastpark @Level 4. But weirdly got charged more than I was expecting as per SFO website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.