Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canceling/refunding return portion on award RT ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flew part of an award RT trip, but need to cancel the return, can I get a refund of the unused miles?
No
You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
You may still be able to use the miles by "changing" the return portion
-- Any changes must be consistent with award rules for the original purchase
-- Must be flown within 1 year of the original purchase
Print Wikipost

Canceling/refunding return portion on award RT ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
I have booked award travel for two as follows: SFO - PRG (40K miles), PRG - FCO (Excursion perk), MCO - SJC (15K miles). Once we arrive in Orlando, I may wish to change the date of the final leg by one day (later).

If flights are available in the same fare class (not likely) I assume I could just change date. If flights available but not in the same fare class, I assume I could still change and pay the additional miles/fees.

If I cancel the last leg (MCO - SJC), would the miles/fees be refunded to my account?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 16, 2024, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BruceWG
If flights are available in the same fare class (not likely)
This can be a challenge.

I assume I could just change date. If flights available but not in the same fare class, I assume I could still change and pay the additional miles/fees.
This can also be a challenge.

I've had regular trouble trying to adjust the last leg of an Excursionist Perk trip after flying the first two (or even just the first one). It rarely seems to work online, and when I've given in and called, I've gotten pushback from agents who didn't appreciate the creative use of the ExPerk.

If I cancel the last leg (MCO - SJC), would the miles/fees be refunded to my account?
No.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.