Wiki Posts
Search

An idea about million milers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
How about 2 RPU'S per year.
+1. Then let my GPUs clear without a W fare.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Why would I spend money to fly to an event with a cash bar and presumably no free hotel room? Seems to be a waste of money when I could spend a nice weekend at home for free. I could not imagine any raffle that would be worth my time or miles.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teeceedee
.... Unless someone's already tried this and it didn't work out? .....
There is Family Day @ SFO which some FTers can attend 2013 , 2012 , 2011 and older

And FT organized events which UA officials attend (at least once Smisek)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ports-etc.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-12-13-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2014-a.html

and other DOs (long history from both pmUA and pmCO)

And recent new terminal openings where elites were giving special invites

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rminal-3e.html

Similar on in BOS -- not finding the link
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Ok I guess it'd have to fine tune the offering a bit more to entice people to come out(open bar, etc). What would an event like this have to offer incentive-wise to see size able attendance?

I don't really care about the RPU / GPU comments, though, since they don't seem too relevant to the thread.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ok I guess it'd have to fine tune the offering a bit more to entice people to come out(open bar, etc). What would an event like this have to offer incentive-wise to see size able attendance? .....
Considering any out of town attendees would be out of pocket $600-$700 or much more for travel and lodging plus a full day or two of their time, you are looking at sizable incentives unless some intangible would over come those barriers.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I'm not a million miler, but did some thinking on the plane last night.

An interesting opportunity to "sell" long-term loyalty would be to do a yearly invite-only convention for all million milers in Chicago.

Now setting aside all talk about how cheap United is, how crappy their customer service is, etc., let's assume for a second that this is possible and within United's marketing budget.

A couple ideas:
- You could have a silent auction where attendants bid RDM's for unique gifts.
- Examples of gifts could be: a XX increase to your lifetime miles balance (i.e. 250,000 increase to lifetime miles, no increase to PQM or RDM), tours of UA operations center, lifetime club access, etc.
- You could have a prize raffle. Different ways to get raffle tickets include:

1. One ticket per MM tier (1 at 1MM, 2 at 2MM, etc.)
2. Showing a paid revenue ticket on UA into Chicago for the event (1 for economy, 2 for first)

Cash bar, some appetizers. Could draw an enthusiastic crowd of fliers and sweeten the MM'er deal.

Obviously I haven't thought about the implications of cost, etc., but if well planned and thought out this could be a tremendous marketing tool. Unless someone's already tried this and it didn't work out?

Thoughts?
Singapore used to have get togethers in San Francisco for Solitaire passengers. Never attended one. I talked to an agent and they said they were trying to get more SF based passengers into Solitaire. Didn't work.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I am a Million Miler, and you know, there was a time when I would have considered going to a gathering like this if I could arrange it.

I was once so happy and proud to be a United Million Miler. I used to read, eat, sleep (etc.) United.

Now I see that it really was stupid and immature of me to be so loyal to a corporation!

The management at United since the merger has finally made me understand my relationship with the company: I am just a paying customer (not so much any more) who they (might, from time to time) get from point A to B nearly on-time for a fee.

That's it.

Still, it has been hard to let go - especially when I see fleeting signs of hope: like the new safety video and a new ad once in a while.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I am a Million Miler, and you know, there was a time when I would have considered going to a gathering like this if I could arrange it.

I was once so happy and proud to be a United Million Miler. I used to read, eat, sleep (etc.) United.

Now I see that it really was stupid and immature of me to be so loyal to a corporation!

The management at United since the merger has finally made me understand my relationship with the company: I am just a paying customer (not so much any more) who they (might, from time to time) get from point A to B nearly on-time for a fee.

That's it.

Still, it has been hard to let go - especially when I see fleeting signs of hope: like the new safety video and a new ad once in a while.
THIS

If Smisek were to depart and the new CEO where to throw a shindig for MM to make an announcement to perhaps, uh I don't know, decide they would follow through with the promises made to us decades ago, then I would go.

The airline has a lot of work to do and MMs are the last for them to think about.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO / UA already knows how to host these events. I attended all the CO DO's starting in 2005. Larry, Jeff when he was #2 at CO, Jim etc - the whole team was there.

An experience I will never forget. Even with some of the later Mega Dos events with UA - similar meetings with UA execs. Even Jeff spoke at the last event we had in ORD at the Willis tower.

There are enough of us that any big event like what is proposed would be well attended, regardless of cost. The last big CO host DO in IAH had to be limited to 525 people.

On MegaDos - some of us will even spend $3500 for a Business or First ticket to fly to Europe for just one night and have events with BA (Oneworld) or LH (Star) then proceed back to US the next day for a private charter (like a UA 739 or AA 757 for $1200 - $2700 per person).

Hey - how many here have done what we have done at a DO - like sit in UA de-icer cab, control it, and spray water around!! Drive a baggage cart, push back a UA airplane at the gate (live). We did this all at this last UA DO event in ORD!!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cova
There are enough of us that any big event like what is proposed would be well attended, regardless of cost. The last big CO host DO in IAH had to be limited to 525 people.
How many of those 525 were million milers? I would think that in itself would limit participation. I'm one and would not attend an event without some restoration of benefits on the table. I'm not the only premerger UA flyer that is still upset about having these pulled out from under us.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:08 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by starman1992
I know they have done "events" for GS members in the last couple of years. Twice, I received an invitation - to a Houston Astros game (you can't GIVE those tickets away, lol). The first time, they were offering a SINGLE ticket - I declined, with a note reminding them that, even had I been in town that day - going to a game alone to sit with a bunch of other people that are on the road all the time...not my idea of fun leisure time.

The second time, they sent an invite offering two tickets to a football game. I sent an RSVP, but later got an email saying that all slots had been taken (random drawing amongst RSVPs I think).

Haven't seen any special GS events since - maybe they have figured out these just don't work...lol
Several years ago, UA had these kinds of things for 1Ks. I can recall making 1K for the first time and suddenly having access to the 1K portion of the web site, where I could request tickets to some sporting events (often ORD-area events), etc. I believe these were first-come, first-served; however, UA did away with them very shortly thereafter anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:34 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Given that being a 1K MM means nothing to UA these days, I can't see it happening and, as others have pointed out, why would I want to spend money to be at an event with a company that no longer values my history with them?

On their present philosophy, they'd do better holding a party for kettles.....
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Plats got an invitation for two nights at LHR, btw
Plats may have but clearly 1ks did not
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: AADULtArer

Correct. 10 years ago for me. This is a business arrangement, not a personal relationship.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Ok I guess it'd have to fine tune the offering a bit more to entice people to come out(open bar, etc). What would an event like this have to offer incentive-wise to see size able attendance?

I don't really care about the RPU / GPU comments, though, since they don't seem too relevant to the thread.
The previous CO DO or PMUA family day at SFO, or even after the merger UA DO had no incentive to offer, we all had to pay for our tickets to travel there, pay for our hotel rooms, yet hundreds of FTers show up and even had long waiting lists.

These are all geared towards airplane geeks rather than the general GS/MM flyers, as you had already seen the replies in the thread like "I had already been flying every other week, why would I be interested to see another plane when I am not flying ?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.