Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A friendly reminder from your volunteer moderators.

Year-end questions such as these are bound to come up and we are happy to have this thread exist as a source of information. However, we would also request members take note of the following:

Please do not offer or solicit transfers of upgrade instruments in this forum, even in "jest".
see
Posting Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades Not Allowed. for more

Members with questions about the Coupon Connection Forum are kindly asked to refer to the following thread:

The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)
Note you need 180 posts and 180 days of FT membership, at a minimum, to access CC forum

Thank you,

l'etoile, Ocn Vw 1k, J.Edward, Pat89339 and WineCountryUA
United MileagePlus Forum volunteer moderators

Safe, allowed uses other than for yourself
-- offer (for no consideration) to family / friends / coworkers / ....
-- asking a GA to do a surprise / delight upgrade of someone using your instruments
-- If requalified as 1K, UA has in recent years, allowing the extending of two GPUs until April
Print Wikipost

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean the GS who was giving his GPUs to a middleman who was supposedly handing them out in Israel for "fundraising" purposes? Because that's the only thread lately about account cancelation based on GPU misuse. The other thread was the GS who repeatedly booked award flights and then canceled them at the last minute (something like 14 last minute cancels). And the foregoing description is based on their description of what happened, which you can be pretty sure is missing key details.
Well I personally wouldn't take chances. If GS members are not even given an opportunity to explain their side of the story, then what would happen for we ordinary folks?

I won't risk being accused of wrong doing for gifting rpus to people I dont even know. I almost did so last year to someone here who pmed me after I said I had expiring RPUs - for all I know it could be UA sting. I know this is paranoid but just dont trust UA especially as regards transparency of application of rules.

One thing is clear is that the whole intent of dishing out rpus and gpus in contemporary UA is that a significant proportion, if not majority, will go unused. I dont think UA will take lightly systematic attempts to have strangers cash RPUs on day of travel rather than paying them coveted TODs for upgrades; that obviously wasnt UAs intention in giving them out and I am sure they can find a way to make it a program violation and accuse a member of defrauding them of (tod) revenue.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just a caution, as noted in the wiki and as a sticky in the main forum -- please be mindful of Posting Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades Not Allowed. and note as with all things on FT this includes the use of the PM system.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Is there an NGO (non-governmental organization) or non-profit that you have an affinity for? Something you feel sort of connected or close to? You might drop by their office, explain your situation and ask if you could talk to their travel desk and see if there's someone's trip you could sponsor. I wouldn't do it randomly though. Do something that makes sense to you. I brought up NGOs because my recent trip to Africa made me a believer in what they've accomplished in parts of the world where the governments really haven't done a whole lot for their people. If you belong to a church, there might be missionaries that could put them to use.

But they don't really go to waste per se if not used. In most cases, not everybody on the GPU list clears, so chances are, there aren't empty seats in C because you didn't use your GPUs. Rather, somebody else below your elite level might have gotten lucky.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 6, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: Remove quote of deleted post
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:23 am

How to give away my 6 GPUs expiring Jan 2017

Hello -

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have 6 GPUs that will be expiring in Jan 2017. I don't think I'll be able to use them myself. I'd hate to see them go to waste.

What is the best way to give them away? In past years I emailed a bunch of people at work and no one wanted them because of the hassles of finding upgradeable fares. Its almost impossible to buy high fare classes with our new corporate travel system. No one in my family travels enough either.

Should I just let them expire? Or does anyone else have any suggestions.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello -

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have 6 GPUs that will be expiring in Jan 2017. I don't think I'll be able to use them myself. I'd hate to see them go to waste.

What is the best way to give them away? In past years I emailed a bunch of people at work and no one wanted them because of the hassles of finding upgradeable fares. Its almost impossible to buy high fare classes with our new corporate travel system. No one in my family travels enough either.

Should I just let them expire? Or does anyone else have any suggestions.
First, read the wiki on CC (link above in the wiki for this thread) to see if that might work for you.

However, if you wish to avoid the possible risks from transacting on the CC forum, you could always do anonymous (to a certain extent) battlefield upgrades for strangers at the gate the next time(s) you fly international.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 6, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:01 pm

In the past, I used my excess GPU to upgrade family, friends, or co-works on domestic flights. There's no fare class requirement.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by z8108
In the past, I used my excess GPU to upgrade family, friends, or co-works on domestic flights. There's no fare class requirement.
It is a waste to use them domestically. I give them to co-workers mostly for C --> F upgrades on LH.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cfischer
It is a waste to use them domestically
More of a waste than letting them otherwise expire?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean the GS who was giving his GPUs to a middleman who was supposedly handing them out in Israel for "fundraising" purposes? Because that's the only thread lately about account cancelation based on GPU misuse. The other thread was the GS who repeatedly booked award flights and then canceled them at the last minute (something like 14 last minute cancels). And the foregoing description is based on their description of what happened, which you can be pretty sure is missing key details.
Wow. I just saw this. Tried to find the post you referenced. Why was his account t suspended?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Wow. I just saw this. Tried to find the post you referenced. Why was his account t suspended?
Both accounts were cancelled - because UA decided that the owner wasn't playing by the rules, whether or not the facts support that conclusion is a matter of great debate...
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Appears it was for supplying GPUs that may have been "sold" by a third party (original party claims to have been in the dark). Information dribbled out in pieces. It was last year and you can read the discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...it-advice.html -- the thread was closed as explained in the last post.

The second incident (also last year) was http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-closed.html

Let's not rehash those discussions in this thread as the individuals with any knowledge will not be responding.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 12:41 pm Reason: second link
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Expiring GPU's and RPU's

I have 2 RPU's and 4 GPU's expiring 1/31/17. I'd like to gift them to my brother as I have no need for them (AA flyer now). Is this legal and what is the procedure?

Also are there any other benefits I still have as a 1K that I could gift him? Elite status?

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
As long as your brother doesn't provide you compensation for them, there's no reason why you cannot gift them to him.

By gift, I mean, you'd have to pull up his reservations and apply the RPU's / GPU's yourself from your account. There is no way to 'transfer' them to him so that they appear in his account.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
As long as your brother doesn't provide you compensation for them, there's no reason why you cannot gift them to him.

By gift, I mean, you'd have to pull up his reservations and apply the RPU's / GPU's yourself from your account. There is no way to 'transfer' them to him so that they appear in his account.
10-4.

He just sent me his PNR for Sunday BOS-den flight. So log into my account on ual.com then find his reservation? I will be apply to apply a GPU? Yes this is strictly a gift.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
10-4.

He just sent me his PNR for Sunday BOS-den flight. So log into my account on ual.com then find his reservation? I will be apply to apply a GPU? Yes this is strictly a gift.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.