Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 10, 20, 4:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A friendly reminder from your volunteer moderators.

Year-end questions such as these are bound to come up and we are happy to have this thread exist as a source of information. However, we would also request members take note of the following:

Please do not offer or solicit transfers of upgrade instruments in this forum, even in "jest".
see
Posting Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades Not Allowed. for more

Members with questions about the Coupon Connection Forum are kindly asked to refer to the following thread:

The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)
Note you need 180 posts and 180 days of FT membership, at a minimum, to access CC forum

Thank you,

l'etoile, Ocn Vw 1k, J.Edward, Pat89339 and WineCountryUA
United MileagePlus Forum volunteer moderators

Safe, allowed uses other than for yourself
-- offer (for no consideration) to family / friends / coworkers / ....
-- asking a GA to do a surprise / delight upgrade of someone using your instruments
-- If requalified as 1K, UA has in recent years, allowing the extending of two GPUs until April
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 25, 14, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi fellow FT folks,

This is my first year as a 1K and receiving the complimentary GPU's. Due to a change in work role, I am no longer flying as much as I did in previous few years hence I should have an excess of GPU's at the end of Jan 31 next year.

Is there anything I can do with the unused GPU's (does UA give miles for them etc) or are they simply an added benefit with an expiration date that go away after Jan 31 if unused by that time?

I searched on here but couldnt find a clear answer.

Thanks for any info in advance. Even with less flying, I will still stay on here to learn more about fellow FT experiences.
Old Jul 25, 14, 5:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG Plat; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I use extra GPUs to sponsor friends that are traveling internationally. Thye appreciate it very much. Otherwise I try to plan quick weekend trips (because I am single) to somewhere I havent been and apply teh GPUs. I never let them expire. I earned them.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:01 am

Some ideas:

-Gift them to friends or family
They make great (though, conditional depending on availability) birthday gifts

-Use them on yourself for regional travel (ie: within a single zone, where a regional upgrade might otherwise be used)

-Give one to your S.O., or someone you want to be your S.O. in the future

[Edited by Moderator to comply with forum announcement.]

Recognize gifting/giving assumes you tell the recipient a certain fare class is required to be eligible for upgrade

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 25, 14 at 12:44 pm Reason: See post 11.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
What to do with excess GPU's?

You can also request an extension of two GPU's that will expire the end of April, that was very useful for myself.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Hendo5698 View Post
You can also request an extension of two GPU's that will expire the end of April, that was very useful for myself.
Perhaps. I tried this a few weeks ago and they said a decision whether they will honor an extension won't be made until just prior to their expiry date - at least in my case.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks guys, donating to friends/family is definitely an option.

I will ask for an extension closer to the expiry date to see if it works.

I assume UA wont redeem for miles or other since no one posted that option.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by trini19 View Post

I assume UA wont redeem for miles or other since no one posted that option.
Correct, and UA may interpret you as trying to sell your GPU (even if it's to them!) and close your MP account.

Joking aside: No.
Old Jul 25, 14, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
i have heard that sometimes they will not extend the GPUs if you didn't requalify for 1K in the following year. YMMV.
Old Jul 25, 14, 9:10 am

Programs: United Silver
As someone who has received a gifted GPU from a family member I can attest that it is a very thoughtful gift.
Old Jul 25, 14, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
As a mere platinum, several of my 1K friends have been incredibly generous in the past to me when they had GPU's they didn't think they would use. When gifted, I can assure you they're very much appreciated it.
Old Jul 25, 14, 12:13 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

The thread is now re-opened for posting. First, thanks to all the members who posted, as you kept within the United Forum announcement not to solicit for or offer any upgrade certificates.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lowed-598.html

Second, discussion of another outlet for the OP to consider has been deleted to best protect this forum and FlyerTalk. I’ll be communicating separately with the OP with a fuller explanation. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
Old Jul 25, 14, 1:17 pm

Programs: United 1K
By my calculations I'll have 3 spare GPUs expiring 1/31/2015. I would like to gift them to friends and family. However some of them have already bought their tickets in less-than-W fares.

I think I've read somewhere that there is a way to "upgrade" to the W-fare and then apply the GPU. Can this be done online or do I have to call?
Old Jul 25, 14, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P (1k ain't what it used to be)
Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
By my calculations I'll have 3 spare GPUs expiring 1/31/2015. I would like to gift them to friends and family. However some of them have already bought their tickets in less-than-W fares.

I think I've read somewhere that there is a way to "upgrade" to the W-fare and then apply the GPU. Can this be done online or do I have to call?
You'd have to call and ask for an upfare to a different fare class, sometimes they'll charge the $250/350 change fee, other times they won't, YMMV.

Even after doing so you are not guaranteed an upgrade, unless there is R inventory at the time you apply the GPU. If your friends are not upgraded they don't get money back for the upfare.
Old Jul 25, 14, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
Perhaps. I tried this a few weeks ago and they said a decision whether they will honor an extension won't be made until just prior to their expiry date - at least in my case.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
i have heard that sometimes they will not extend the GPUs if you didn't requalify for 1K in the following year. YMMV.
The offer to extent up to 2 GPUs is rarely done before November and has always required the individual to have requalified for 1K status.
Old Jul 25, 14, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA (1K, MM), AA
My understanding is that you need to requalify for 1K before the certificates can be extended.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: