UA vs Swiss vs Air Canada in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
UA vs Swiss vs Air Canada in Economy

I'm booking a flight to Zurich in Economy and my options are the following:

Option 1) IAD-ZRH-IAD on United
Option 2) ORD - ZRH on Swiss and ZRH-YYZ on Air Canada (and then off to IAH).

Believe it or not, in the 8 years that I have been flying, all of my 330K BIS miles have been on Continental and United metal.

So, what do you recommend?

A friend might have some extra GPUs. If that is the case, then option 1 would be the best, assuming there is R space. What are the chances of R space on IAD-ZRH and ZRH-IAD? Any experiences?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:55 pm

The answer to this question depends almost entirely on how tall you are. If you're 5'10" or over, E+ on United wins.

Also, I'm not sure if Air Canada uses them on this route, but AC's new and renovated 777s are 10-across in economy with tiny 16.8" wide seats.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sincx
The answer to this question depends almost entirely on how tall you are. If you're 5'10" or over, E+ on United wins.

Also, I'm not sure if Air Canada uses them on this route, but AC's new and renovated 777s are 10-across in economy with tiny 16.8" wide seats.
Good point. I take E+ for granted.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sincx

AC doesn't fly a 777 on this route. It's typically been an A330, but moved mostly to a 787 in late May. I think they still occasionally throw an A330 in there as well. I flew it on May 28 (ZRH-YYZ), and they had been using 787s for the past three days on the route (the first international AC 787 flights, I believe) but mine was an A330. Found it quite comfortable - its been a while since I've done an AC international flight. AC, like most, do 9 across in a 787 though. They should have a premium economy section though with 8 across in the 787.

I've flown all three of these carriers within the last few months internationally. In fact, on the flight above, I was connecting in ex-India on Swiss. I don't know why - I found the Swiss flight less comfortable, even though it was the same kind of 330 I flew in on AC. AC loses the IFE battle, for sure (though the updated system in the 787 may be better - I haven't tried it. If you're tall and want more legroom, as mentioned, UA is probably the best to go with.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juansequeda
A friend might have some extra GPUs. If that is the case, then option 1 would be the best, assuming there is R space. What are the chances of R space on IAD-ZRH and ZRH-IAD? Any experiences?
Been on the ZRH-IAD run probably a dozen times over the last couple of years. Overall, upgrade space ex-ZRH has been pretty decent, especially on weekdays MO-TH. This year it even has been ticking up a bit, with the 767-400 operating now the route. There is also a daily 764 ZRH-EWR.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've done AC and UA fairly often. UA wins because of E+. AC is better in almost every other respect (assuming it's not one of their new 777s or 787s) and rspecially on food, booze and service. But none of these are important enough to trump E+ and nonstop.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Remember to use a GPU you have to buy, what could be, a significantly higher fare to play upgrade lotto.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:38 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I'll choose flights based on leg room any day. I'll put up with crap service and amenities just to get leg / knee room. I'm 6'2'' and go through absolute hell, misery, trauma with my knees jammed tight against a seat for hour upon hour. And if the person in front reclines suddenly, my knees cop it. The person in front also has to put up with my knees in their back.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
If you are going E-, bring a relatively short person I would go with Swiss. UA and AC E- are pretty otugh even being arounf 5'8". Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
I have flown Swiss A340 in economy and while service is better perhaps than united and better food options, I didn't care for the seat compared to E+. Given you also have a potential GPU upgrade if you buy W or higher, I'd stick with UA. If you had a way to get business class however, in my experience its then Swiss>AC>UA.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mbenz
I have flown Swiss A340 in economy and while service is better perhaps than united and better food options, I didn't care for the seat compared to E+. Given you also have a potential GPU upgrade if you buy W or higher, I'd stick with UA. If you had a way to get business class however, in my experience its then Swiss>AC>UA.
Is the only way to get upgraded on Swiss and AC through miles on Y fare economy tickets? Or is there another way?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Seat space (E+) and total travel times would matter to me. I'd also look at IAH-FRA or IAH-MUC to cut down travel time, especially if you can get a GPU.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmr12
Seat space (E+) and total travel times would matter to me. I'd also look at IAH-FRA or IAH-MUC to cut down travel time, especially if you can get a GPU.
How easy is to get a GPU on IAH-FRA and IAH-MUC?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by juansequeda
Is the only way to get upgraded on Swiss and AC through miles on Y fare economy tickets? Or is there another way?
As far as I know Y or B i believe with the Star Alliance upgrade award but I haven't looked into it lately. Not sure how either would work for upgrade for cash. But I don't think its a viable option really.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Was just on UA B764 IAD-ZRH-IAD and Swiss A340 ZRH-TLV-ZRH. UA flights in Y were far more comfortable than Swiss in Y. The seat is far more comfortable, the IFE is far better. Meals are about equivalent. Further, both UA flights were on time, while both Swiss flights were late, one severely.

On that basis I would select UA, and if you can get E+ on UA, there should be no contest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.