Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Venting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Not quite. He's willing to give them a chance to improve their product until then. Should that happen, he'll stick with them and benefit from MM status. If not, he'll walk, and essentially trade 6-9 months of subpar UA for a lifetime of *G.
He can just fly 20,000 miles on a much superior airline like SQ and credit to A3 and get the same thing assuming he/she flies *A at least once every 3 years.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:26 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Looking at Options

This is sort in reply to all the flamers who say "that if you are so unhappy with UA why don't you fly someone else". Well, I am one that is probably going to do just that.

I am a long time 1K @ 1.6 mm--and was really intent on getting 2mm until just recently--but at least I am *A gold. I fly almost exclusively to BKK (and a little to other SE Asia destinations), and understand that my case is a little unique. With UA dropping BKK; the stupid JV with ANA (where you can't even get a seat assignment until check-in in their sardine can NRT--BKK) and all the other devals; downgrades; down gauges; soft product meltdown, I am soon to give both QR and EK a shot from ORD. If either works OK for me, I am totally done with UA--and at 100,000 + miles per year status should come pretty quickly.

If I go with QR I will have the OneWorld alliance--not as good a *A, but decent enough. Domestic does not matter so much to me and I'll go with whoever when I need those trips. Four hours domestic is nothing compared to 20-24 hours to SE Asia. I'll probably continue to fly UA until March to build miles at the current 1K bonus rate, and then burn them up as quickly as possible afterwards.

I have never flown any other airline for the past 10 years, except for short inter-Asia hops. I never ever thought that I would consider abandoning "My Hometown Airline". A sad day.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dfe
This is sort in reply to all the flamers who say "that if you are so unhappy with UA why don't you fly someone else". Well, I am one that is probably going to do just that.

I am a long time 1K @ 1.6 mm--and was really intent on getting 2mm until just recently--but at least I am *A gold. I fly almost exclusively to BKK (and a little to other SE Asia destinations), and understand that my case is a little unique. With UA dropping BKK; the stupid JV with ANA (where you can't even get a seat assignment until check-in in their sardine can NRT--BKK) and all the other devals; downgrades; down gauges; soft product meltdown, I am soon to give both QR and EK a shot from ORD. If either works OK for me, I am totally done with UA--and at 100,000 + miles per year status should come pretty quickly.

If I go with QR I will have the OneWorld alliance--not as good a *A, but decent enough. Domestic does not matter so much to me and I'll go with whoever when I need those trips. Four hours domestic is nothing compared to 20-24 hours to SE Asia. I'll probably continue to fly UA until March to build miles at the current 1K bonus rate, and then burn them up as quickly as possible afterwards.

I have never flown any other airline for the past 10 years, except for short inter-Asia hops. I never ever thought that I would consider abandoning "My Hometown Airline". A sad day.
Don't do it! If you do, the flamers win...

Seriously though, do the 6 GPU's from UA factor in to your decision? I don't believe that the Middle Eastern carriers have an equivalent, although I could be wrong.

Do you fly primarily in Economy? Or Business / First? I would look hard at the Y offerings of the ME carriers before making a decision as well, if this is the class you are in mostly.

Is DL through SEA (or MSP / DTW) an option? Another connection is not that attractive, but may be worth considering.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1353513636
He can just fly 20,000 miles on a much superior airline like SQ and credit to A3 and get the same thing assuming he/she flies *A at least once every 3 years.
At around 650K on UA, I bailed in 2012 after the merger and moved to AA.

I do miss *A Gold, but gotta wonder if UA will ever take that away from million milers.

I did just sign up for Aegean to earn Gold there. Just depleted my UA account and fully expect to credit all future *A flying to Aegean.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Is DL through SEA (or MSP / DTW) an option? Another connection is not that attractive, but may be worth considering.
No contest in my experience. A connecting flight on DL is better than a non-stop on UA, more often than not. UA really is that bad! I am SFO based but fly 85% DL.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:43 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond

Seriously though, do the 6 GPU's from UA factor in to your decision? I don't believe that the Middle Eastern carriers have an equivalent, although I could be wrong.

Do you fly primarily in Economy? Or Business / First? I would look hard at the Y offerings of the ME carriers before making a decision as well, if this is the class you are in mostly.

Like I said I am probably a one off, and there are lots of considerations. But nonetheless I fly 100,000+ a year and will spend more than my $10 K PQD but obviously not a HVF in UA's eyes.

First, it's not because of the flamers, but a decision based on my own disgusted position with UA, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is rather than simply making idle complaints. But I really hate the snarky comments about moving if you don't like UA.

I fly totally on my own dime and yes I fly mainly Y but play the UA lottery by buying a W, H or Q tickets in hopes of getting a GPU upgrade--sometimes win and sometimes lose.

So in the long run I am always prepared to tough it out in E+. With EK or QR the pitch on their 772' and 773's from ORD are the same pitch as E+, and after a few long hauls I should have enough miles to get a few upgrades--probably much like UA.

In addition right now I fly ORD-->NRT-->SIN with an overnight and use award miles on TG to BKK. So I have the hotel overnights R/T and spend 35,000 miles on the award (vs about $400 cash for the 2 hour flight), and it takes an extra day each way. Now with award miles based on ticket price even with a Q fare I will get only about 22,000 miles--a net deficit on my 35,000 mile award to BKK of 13,000 miles.

Last flight UA could not make interlining my bags work at SIN, so I had to go through immigration and baby sit them all night because I could not get back airside to the hotel or lounge w/o a boarding pass which I had to get from TG when they opened a 0600.

DL is a terrible option from ORD and that was the first one I looked at. There is no direct flight from ORD--SEA, so it involves a whole bunch of connections MSP or JFK or DTW etc to SEA and forward. About 28 hours

EK or QR fly directly to BKK via their hubs so I have a short connection in DXB or DOH or a stopover if I chose and I suspect that their soft product is far superior to UA's.

In the long run, it simply may not work the way I expect and I won't leave UA, but at least I'm going to give it a try.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:52 pm

6? AA gives you 8 which aren't restricted by fare class.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:33 pm

Also

Don't forget Etihad. They fly ORD-AUH-BKK. Quick connections both ways. Great service too. And AUH has US pre clearance. You clear us customs And immigration in Abu Dhabi so on arrival at ORD you arrive just as if you're coming in as a domestic passenger. Worth a try

Originally Posted by dfe
Like I said I am probably a one off, and there are lots of considerations. But nonetheless I fly 100,000+ a year and will spend more than my $10 K PQD but obviously not a HVF in UA's eyes.

First, it's not because of the flamers, but a decision based on my own disgusted position with UA, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is rather than simply making idle complaints. But I really hate the snarky comments about moving if you don't like UA.

I fly totally on my own dime and yes I fly mainly Y but play the UA lottery by buying a W, H or Q tickets in hopes of getting a GPU upgrade--sometimes win and sometimes lose.

So in the long run I am always prepared to tough it out in E+. With EK or QR the pitch on their 772' and 773's from ORD are the same pitch as E+, and after a few long hauls I should have enough miles to get a few upgrades--probably much like UA.

In addition right now I fly ORD-->NRT-->SIN with an overnight and use award miles on TG to BKK. So I have the hotel overnights R/T and spend 35,000 miles on the award (vs about $400 cash for the 2 hour flight), and it takes an extra day each way. Now with award miles based on ticket price even with a Q fare I will get only about 22,000 miles--a net deficit on my 35,000 mile award to BKK of 13,000 miles.

Last flight UA could not make interlining my bags work at SIN, so I had to go through immigration and baby sit them all night because I could not get back airside to the hotel or lounge w/o a boarding pass which I had to get from TG when they opened a 0600.

DL is a terrible option from ORD and that was the first one I looked at. There is no direct flight from ORD--SEA, so it involves a whole bunch of connections MSP or JFK or DTW etc to SEA and forward. About 28 hours

EK or QR fly directly to BKK via their hubs so I have a short connection in DXB or DOH or a stopover if I chose and I suspect that their soft product is far superior to UA's.

In the long run, it simply may not work the way I expect and I won't leave UA, but at least I'm going to give it a try.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:07 am
dfe
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jasondc
Don't forget Etihad. They fly ORD-AUH-BKK. Quick connections both ways. Great service too. And AUH has US pre clearance. You clear us customs And immigration in Abu Dhabi so on arrival at ORD you arrive just as if you're coming in as a domestic passenger. Worth a try
Good catch. Will consider.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
6? AA gives you 8 which aren't restricted by fare class.
What route(s) could you use these on (partially, like UA) from ORD-BKK?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasondc
AUH pre-clearance has been a disaster so far. Read Lucky's posts. Not a real benefit.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What route(s) could you use these on (partially, like UA) from ORD-BKK?
DFW-HKG/NRT.

One extra connection to BKK vs. UA.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Yanks08802
[...]my seat cushion was broken and "caved in" in the middle. Had the flight gone off, I was going to have to use my pillow as support in order to be somewhat comfortable.
[...]
I will cross 1 million miles in late 2014 or early 2015. United has those months to at least try to improve or I will walk. I may only be one customer, but once gone I will never come back[...][/I][/I]
With 1 million in flight experience, you'd allow yourself to be seated in a broken seat? Wow.

Given that it could be a safety issue, MX should have been called out to inspect it. Report the problem: end up with either an alternative, not broken seat, or at least piece-of-mind... possibly even a DBC if one is lucky enough to have an inop seat on a full aircraft.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You actually sound happy here---I know you got extra PQM/RDM and a voucher, but, If I had spent all night in the airport in BOS, and endured the routing you're going through, I would be far more cranky!

You must be young.
Making lemonade here and no (55).

Cheers,
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dfe

You might have some moral qualms about flying QR:
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-...qatar-airways/
http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/q...9208.bild.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.