Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS, United's ongoing fare fraud and why you should complain to the DOT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS, United's ongoing fare fraud and why you should complain to the DOT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I had this problem with AA, and I filed a DOT complaint. As posted in my thread, I ultimately got a full refund for the downgraded segment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ted-fares.html

I think it's important to call this what the DOT accused AA of doing: "False Advertising" - they advertised a flight as "First Class" when it wasn't.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gpicur
I routinely purchase Z and P fares, i.e. discounted Business Class on international flights, usually to/from Bahrain. In more than one instance, I have experienced MX or other IRROPS. The default position for UA is to book me on the next UA flight in Business class, but since the UA flights to/from BAH operate 4 times per week, the next flight can sometimes be two days later. My question, does Rule 240 and the CoC require UA to book me into Business Class on LH or TK even if there are no Z or P fare seats ? I have never been successful in getting UA to book me into Business Class on MX and IRROPS situations.
on a recent UA P-fare they re-booked me on LH in J during irop. I asked for it and it was not a problem at all.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
If they want to do that, they should be transparent about it up front. I think most of the ire displayed here is because UA isn't honest about what their customers are purchasing.
Where's the profit in that?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
That's always true - anyone seated in the front cabin (by fare, certificate upgrade, mileage upgrade, TOD, complimentary upgrade) is treated the same and entitled to downgrade compensation (refund of difference + travel voucher based on distance) if downgraded.
My point though was for the last 30 years, when you 'bought' a first class seat with miles (and not even a saver award but full boat), it used to say F. It never said upgrade confirmed and if you called or asked an agent, you had a first class seat not an upgraded seat. This is only new to UAdbaCO.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
wrong thread

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2014 at 8:19 pm
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seagar
My point though was for the last 30 years, when you 'bought' a first class seat with miles (and not even a saver award but full boat), it used to say F. It never said upgrade confirmed and if you called or asked an agent, you had a first class seat not an upgraded seat. This is only new to UAdbaCO.
The upgrade confusion is just because the JN bucket is for both elite/CC standard awards and elite Y instant upgrade. With JN you have a confirmed first seats just the same you would if it said F.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Did we figure out what the actual fare basis was for this?

I've heard reports from others about going to buy TATL Business Class tickets and getting a "free upgrade" to First, but have not been able to repro it myself on United.com

I know about the -UP fares domestically, but was not aware of it from C/D/J to F on TATLs....
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mduell
The upgrade confusion is just because the JN bucket is for both elite/CC standard awards and elite Y instant upgrade. With JN you have a confirmed first seats just the same you would if it said F.
Elite Y/B instant upgrade is PN now.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seagar
My point though was for the last 30 years, when you 'bought' a first class seat with miles (and not even a saver award but full boat), it used to say F.
I like to think of "saver" awards as "full boat". Go back far enough and in fact they were.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by Jflynn64
With all due respect, I disagree with your proposed solution to this problem. If you believe United is committing s devious act or not providing service to you, then you shouldn't fly them. Take your business elsewhere. Some government department should not be responsible for your transactions.

What ever happened to caveat emptor.

As today is the 4th of July, it is time people start standing up and bringing back the spirit and ethos that made this country great. United will suffer as their business declines and if they don't change they will go bankrupt, unless the government steps in.
You're new here, aren't you.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Did we figure out what the actual fare basis was ...
My receipt says "A" as the fare class, "Global First" as the cabin.

The fare rules, which I read and downloaded, refer to this as a Global First fare between areas 1 and 2 (or some such). No mention of "instant upgrade" at any point.

I believe that telling people they were upgraded and must now accept inferior substitute transport is United's stock response to IRROPS. There is no contractual basis for it. They must just figure that they'll give it a try to see if it sticks.

United is not unique in this regard, except perhaps for being so brazen in their attempt at fraud.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I believe that telling people they were upgraded and must now accept inferior substitute transport is United's stock response to IRROPS. There is no contractual basis for it. They must just figure that they'll give it a try to see if it sticks.
Agreed. That is my experience as well.

I've also heard the line that "We don't have a [First/Business] class agreement with [Other Air Line] so if we put you on them, it would have to be in coach."

But pressing on that will get 'er done as well.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

I know about the -UP fares domestically, but was not aware of it from C/D/J to F on TATLs....
I've seen P-UPs that book into A, assume there are probably Z-UPs as well. Have not seen economy UPs on int'l BF routes.

It's wrong to refer to these as upgrade fares. Poor agent training on UA's part.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IME, it used to be if there were IRROPS, UA would try to get you to your destination as quickly as possible in the same class of service regardless of carrier. Nowadays they bend over backwards to keep you on UA metal, and won't put you on another carrier unless not doing so will cause a delay of a day or more.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
You know, this makes a lot of sense. My last experience with this was on a P, with a fare basis of Pxxxxx, bought on UA.com asking for First, and with a hard copy of the T&C's that said nothing of upgrades - and I still got this story. I couldn't figure out how this could possibly be an -UP. Maybe it wasn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.