Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2-4 July NYC/E.Coast Storms: Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waiver, IRROPS, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-4 July NYC/E.Coast Storms: Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waiver, IRROPS, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
my 1030am EWR -> RDU flight was cancelled due to weather. luckily i caught it before i went to sleep, otherwise my options likely would have been slim tomorrow morning.

there was a pretty nasty storm system in the northeast tonight, and I'm guessing a lot of inbound planes got stranded at their destinations. it's going to be a pretty ugly travel day tomorrow i think
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyer31
My wife and kid are travelling from LAX-EWR-BOM in J class on a miles ticket. Her LAX-EWR flight has been diverted to PHL. Her flight to EWR from PHL was delayed and now she is in EWR. Her flight from EWR to BOM is already gone.
United has a line of about 500 people. Does United provide for hotel etc.
What are her options. Any help.
Thanks.
For intercontinental journeys, regardless of the reason for the disruption, United follows Star Alliance IRROPS policy, which grants a hotel for the overnight, and rebooking in the customer's best interest on United, Star partners, and other airlines, in that order. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
EWR Irrops

A friend flying through EWR tonight ( no status and in E-) had flight cancelled. Lots of weather so not much United could do. Where United then fails immensely is this. The next flight has open E+ seats, but they refuse to move you onto next flight available unless you pay for E+ as there wasn't E- seats avail on it. Shouldn't United just get them on their way. Customer already pissed off for delay, then cancelation, but now UA trying to charge them more to get them home.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:24 pm

Sounds like typical united lately. Trying to lose customers as fast as possible.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
For intercontinental journeys, regardless of the reason for the disruption, United follows Star Alliance IRROPS policy, which grants a hotel for the overnight, and rebooking in the customer's best interest on United, Star partners, and other airlines, in that order. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:32 pm

Flight delays at EWR

That may be the rule, but I'll assure you there are hundreds at EWR tonight that were told the opposite and are sleeping on the floor.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
.... The next flight has open E+ seats, but they refuse to move you onto next flight available unless you pay for E+ as there wasn't E- seats avail on it. .....
This is either a confused agent/passagner communication or a confused agent or something new. This has not been UA's practice.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:38 pm

EWR Irrops

I thought the same, but there are also a number of folks on various forums claiming the same too.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No waivers, no favors.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I thought the same, but there are also a number of folks on various forums claiming the same too.
Make no sense for what flights are getting to go out with empty seats. It will cost UA more to do that.
I can understand not get seat assignments until prior to departure in these circumstances and that may be the source of confusion.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:47 pm

EWR Irrops

there are waivers, but still no favors. Basically told they could go standby unless they purchased the E+ seats.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The next flight has open E+ seats, but they refuse to move you onto next flight available unless you pay for E+ as there wasn't E- seats avail on it.
How are you determining that there are E+ seats available? If you're looking at the seat map, then that is meaningless and it's very possible that the flight is indeed full.

What you're saying makes no sense otherwise, especially as it would be against the United Contract of Carriage.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:57 pm

there are waivers, but still no favors. Basically told they could go standby unless they purchased the E+ seats.
Now that is different than what was said earlier -- going without seat assignments is common if E- is filled.
.... they refuse to move you onto next flight available unless you pay for E+ as there wasn't E- seats avail on it. ....
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:00 am

EWR Irrops

How am I determining it ?, well, that would be by the agents telling them that's all that was available and that if they wanted on the next flight, then they would need to buy up to E+ To confirm seats or go standby and take their chances with no shows. Friend is a reasonably frequent flier, knows the game etc, but doesn't fly United much, and can now be added to the ever growing list of those who will never again.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"someone told me . . ." equals hearsay, which is generally considered less than reliable.

there are also a number of folks on various forums claiming the same too.
Haven't seen this here in the UA forum . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.