Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Not Crediting Flights (Ticketed With AC, SAA Metal, Credit to UA) Properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Not Crediting Flights (Ticketed With AC, SAA Metal, Credit to UA) Properly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum

I took some flights on SAA That I booked into a full earning class for UA mileage earning. They credited at only 50 percent. My itinerary says specifically that they booked into a full earning segment. How do I get my missing 5k+ miles?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 26, 2014 at 5:35 am Reason: critical details added to thread title
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AJCU
I took some flights on SAA That I booked into a full earning class for UA mileage earning. They credited at only 50 percent. My itinerary says specifically that they booked into a full earning segment. How do I get my missing 5k+ miles?
Send in copy of itinerary? Does it say specifically that you will be earning 100%? And make sure you are not confused by the following, which can easily confuse: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned. "
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The info on mileage earning at booking or in your flight bookings are rarely correct for partners.

Check this link for SA. You need to know your SA fare class and not a UA codeshare fare class.

SA is the party that determines earning for your SA flights, not UA.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I know that it is based on the operating carrier. I just find it strange how on my itinerary it books into one class for all of my flights but the SA flights, they book into a different one (G) yet on my itinerary it says a 100% earning potential for the class that I booked, which is why I booked it.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that it is based on the operating carrier. I just find it strange how on my itinerary it books into one class for all of my flights but the SA flights, they book into a different one (G) yet on my itinerary it says a 100% earning potential for the class that I booked, which is why I booked it.
Are you sure it doesn't say something like this (just an example - substitute your total miles): "MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 11,934 award miles. My bolding.

The key words are "up to". It doesn't say you are going to earn 11,934 miles. That is just the number of miles on your itinerary. And that number is bogus anyway, because it doesn't include COS miles and Premier bonus miles, if any. I looked at my itinerary and receipt and see no mention of "100%". At the end of the day, you're going to get the number of miles lined out by the program rules.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 25, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The info on mileage earning at booking or in your flight bookings are rarely correct for partners.

Check this link for SA. You need to know your SA fare class and not a UA codeshare fare class.

SA is the party that determines earning for your SA flights, not UA.
Yes, and UA makes it very easy to be misled into thinking you'll get full credit, while making it non-obvious and difficult to determine your true booking code on partners like SAA. In fact, one of the last straws that caused me to leave UA a few years ago was when (the new) ua.com was showing 150% credit for a very long SAA flight that came in at 50% instead. Doesn't happen on AA, where you always get 100% on any AA-marketing flight, regardless of partner metal.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Yes, and UA makes it very easy to be misled into thinking you'll get full credit, while making it non-obvious and difficult to determine your true booking code on partners like SAA. In fact, one of the last straws that caused me to leave UA a few years ago was when (the new) ua.com was showing 150% credit for a very long SAA flight that came in at 50% instead. Doesn't happen on AA, where you always get 100% on any AA-marketing flight, regardless of partner metal.
It works both ways. A few years back, booked a vacation package where flights were ticketed on IB code but some were operated by AA. Received the reduced amount of miles, including flights on AA metal, because of the IB booking class.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It works both ways. A few years back, booked a vacation package where flights were ticketed on IB code but some were operated by AA. Received the reduced amount of miles, including flights on AA metal, because of the IB booking class.
Would you rather have AA's transparency or UA's obfuscation? If you really know what you're doing, either system can often be worked to your advantage, but I got tired of constantly fighting against UA's efforts to cheat me.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
SA G class only earns 50%.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...spx?ItemId=316

You have to check yourself, you can't rely on what united.com says.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The mileage earning for partners on UA itineraries/reservations online is comically wrong and should not be trusted. Can be higher or lower.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you rather have AA's transparency or UA's obfuscation? If you really know what you're doing, either system can often be worked to your advantage, but I got tired of constantly fighting against UA's efforts to cheat me.
I don't really subscribe to a "cheating" scenario in this case - more of an inability to clearly lay out (still UA's fault) the mileage earnings. If they were truly trying to deceive they could say (using the 11,934 air mile case I used previously) to a Silver buying a deep discount coach fare: "MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 41,835 award miles". 11,934 1K bonus plus 250% GF. The caveats being, "...if you somehow become a 1K in the interim and upfare to GF."

Right now, I get more miles than what UA says I'm eligible for on my itinerary because it doesn't include the 1K bonus or (sometimes for me, COS).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't really subscribe to a "cheating" scenario in this case - more of an inability to clearly lay out (still UA's fault) the mileage earnings. If they were truly trying to deceive they could say (using the 11,934 air mile case I used previously) to a Silver buying a deep discount coach fare: "MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 41,835 award miles". 11,934 1K bonus plus 250% GF. The caveats being, "...if you somehow become a 1K in the interim and upfare to GF"
Guess I was being unkind. It's more likely a combination of incompetent IT coupled with a complete lack of interest in improvements to the customer experience that might cost them money to correct. This is similar to the way they handle PQD credit, excluding fares identified as "bulk" without ever including the word "bulk" on their exclusion list, or failing to credit LH flights unless you call them on it. So maybe it's not "cheating", but more like "willful neglect".
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I was being unkind. It's more likely a combination of incompetent IT coupled with a complete lack of interest in improvements to the customer experience that might cost them money to correct. This is similar to the way they handle PQD credit, excluding fares identified as "bulk" without ever including the word "bulk" on their exclusion list, or failing to credit LH flights unless you call them on it. So maybe it's not "cheating", but more like "willful neglect".
Yup. You would think UA would watch these boards for things like this that cause confusion and fix 'em.

Example - on an itinerary, there's this, "MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 11,934 award miles.* "

Note the asterisk. No where else on the itinerary is a single asterisk with more info. Is the asterisk there by mistake or is the associated info missing?

Should be a simple fix. Anyone at UA reading?

They do include "bulk" on the exclusion list now, so I guess someone updated that...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
..... you can't rely on what united.com says.
I think that was the OP's reason for posting.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So starting in March 2015 will all itineraries say "You will earn up to xx,xxx miles" for every itinerary where xx,xxx = award miles at the 1K rate?

This means everyone under 1K can forget what that number says because it'll definitely be wrong.

I wonder if UA will finally remove this feature from the website.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.