Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (temporary) SFO Club Open - June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

Just made a quick visit. Pathetic, it's small, little or no windows, with the same new furniture design as the new club at Ord. But same craptastic catering. Have to say I expected more, despite my feeling cynicism about UA.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
isn't this the new "temporary" club on the mezzanine above the new terminal? I thought that they were just opening it until the actual new "new" club opens at the end of this year or early next year? Plus it could handle overflow when they shut down parts of the current club for renovation.

Just looking for a possible explanation of why it's not wow-worthy!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
isn't this the new "temporary" club on the mezzanine above the new terminal? I thought that they were just opening it until the actual new "new" club opens at the end of this year or early next year? Plus it could handle overflow when they shut down parts of the current club for renovation.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant... =)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Just made a quick visit. Pathetic, it's small, little or no windows, with the same new furniture design as the new club at Ord. But same craptastic catering. Have to say I expected more, despite my feeling cynicism about UA.
It's a temporary domestic club, what do you expect, foie gras and Dom? We all know what the RCC has turned into, it is what it is,
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For those want to see photos, see recent posts in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ition-etc.html and multiple visit reports.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boghopper
The sad part is that it's still one of the top 10 United Clubs in the US...

Personally, I thought it was perfectly fine for a temporary club. If you want windows, head to either of the two other options at SFO.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Fun fact is the temporary United Club in SFO was the former Red Carpet Club that opened in 1979. It closed post 9-11 when it was not feasible to have a lounge before TSA.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it inside or outside security? I remember an old club in the mezzanine that was outside where security is now.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Baze
Is it inside or outside security? I remember an old club in the mezzanine that was outside where security is now.
Inside security
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Inside security
Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
Yeah, the new club is not the same location as the old RCC on the mezzanine level. This one is airside, just before you make the turn into the E concourse.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Was there last Sunday. Was a nice surprise pretty much empty
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
Was in there yesterday. Closer to the new gates, no reason to use it if you are not leaving from the 60s. Pretty empty, windowless, but functional.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Was there a week ago and I found it nice. Artwork of old UA planes was cool.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou

Heh, let's see how long this "temporary' club stays around. The C/D gates at IAD are "temporary" and they are decades old with no relief in sight.

I wonder if the planned Centurion lounge will be around the same area. That will be quite a contrast (I know where I'll be going, and also when I cancel my MP Club card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.