Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: MVP75K, UA Gold,
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
No.

For instance: ANC-HKG $2000 economy ticket price
20,000 PQM + 22,000 total miles (RDM)

or Business Class ANC-HKG $5000 ticket
20,000 PQM + 55,000 total miles (RDM)
So it will be harder to achieve the 1K status since class bonus will not help you achieve the PQM, meaning you will need 100K actual miles flown versus 74K+37K class bonus.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Deekh8
So it will be harder to achieve the 1K status since class bonus will not help you achieve the PQM, meaning you will need 100K actual miles flown versus 74K+37K class bonus.
No - PQM calculation hasn't changed and is still calculated on mileage and COS bonus PQMs. This is completely separate from award miles.
$5000 P ticket, 20,000 miles earns 30k PQMs (for anyone - 20,000 miles plus 10,000 class of service) and 55,000 RDMs (for a 1K at 11miles/$)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 11, 2014 at 4:35 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No - PQM calculation hasn't changed and is still calculated on mileage and COS bonus PQMs. This is completely separate from award miles.
$5000 P ticket, 20,000 miles earns 30k PQMs (for anyone - 20,000 miles plus 10,000 class of service) and 55,000 RDMs (for a 1K at 11miles/$)

So the 10,000 for the class of service only applies to PQM not for RDM's?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
So the 10,000 for the class of service only applies to PQM not for RDM's?
Correct.

UA's logic is that if you pay for a higher class of service, that will show up in the $ you spend, which in turn will get you more RDMs - eg a $1000 round-trip in coach earns a 1K 11,000 RDMs. If you ride up front instead, paying $5000, you'll get 55,000 RDMs.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:22 pm

Well that sucks! Thanks for the clarification
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well that sucks! Thanks for the clarification
Let me see if I have this straight.
  1. You fret it will be harder to achieve 1K status.
  2. IAH-OIL-TRASH reassures you that's not the case.
  3. You conclude "that sucks."

RNE
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Let me see if I have this straight.
  1. You fret it will be harder to achieve 1K status.
  2. IAH-OIL-TRASH reassures you that's not the case.
  3. You conclude "that sucks."

RNE
It won't be harder to achieve per his response and I was saying it sucks for me because I typically fly more miles on lower fares so it will suck because the bonus mileage will be less for me
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:32 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The only way one will earn the same level of redeemable miles in the 2015 Mileage Plus program commencing March 1, 2015 is by spending an average of 20 cents per mile. For those whom spend more on a ticket, one may earn up to 75,000 miles per ticket. So the new system is designed to reward more miles to those whom spend more on a ticket; however, there is the 75,000 mile cap which informs us the rewarding of miles only goes so far and is limited even to the high spenders buying $12,000 C or $20,000 F fares on ORD-SYD where a no mileage cap per ticket would earn 132,000 and 220,000 miles respectively.

The real problem here is that the new RDM earnings scheme is going to reward 40 to 60 percent fewer miles to a majority of flyers not spending 20 cents per mile. A 1K spending $500 on a JFK-SFO ticket currently earns around 10,000 RDMs, but this will be reduced to 5500 RDMs in 2015 and would have to spend $900 to keep the same RDM earnings. A 1K flying on a $2000 ticket ORD-SIN earns around 40,000 RDMs, but this will be reduced to 22,000 miles in 2015 or spend $3700 in 2015 for the same earnings.

At the same time, United and Delta both continue to base elite qualification upon distance traveled so 1Ks must fly 100,000 PQMs(or earn this via flight miles and the 50 percent PQM fare class bonus for high fare class tickets). So elite status requires one to fly great distances, but the loyalty program is simultaneously reducing the earnings of redeemable miles by 40 to 60 percent. Does this make any sense for loyalty? It is very likely to cause the loss of many valuable customers.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:55 pm
RNE

It won't be harder to achieve per his response and I was saying it sucks for me because I typically fly more miles on lower fares so it will suck because the bonus mileage will be less for me
Or be happy you'll still get premier status on the cheap.

RNE, though all bets are off for 2016.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:00 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
The only way one will earn the same level of redeemable miles in the 2015 Mileage Plus program commencing March 1, 2015 is by spending an average of 20 cents per mile. For those whom spend more on a ticket, one may earn up to 75,000 miles per ticket. So the new system is designed to reward more miles to those whom spend more on a ticket; however, there is the 75,000 mile cap which informs us the rewarding of miles only goes so far and is limited even to the high spenders buying $12,000 C or $20,000 F fares on ORD-SYD where a no mileage cap per ticket would earn 132,000 and 220,000 miles respectively.

The real problem here is that the new RDM earnings scheme is going to reward 40 to 60 percent fewer miles to a majority of flyers not spending 20 cents per mile. A 1K spending $500 on a JFK-SFO ticket currently earns around 10,000 RDMs, but this will be reduced to 5500 RDMs in 2015 and would have to spend $900 to keep the same RDM earnings. A 1K flying on a $2000 ticket ORD-SIN earns around 40,000 RDMs, but this will be reduced to 22,000 miles in 2015 or spend $3700 in 2015 for the same earnings.

At the same time, United and Delta both continue to base elite qualification upon distance traveled so 1Ks must fly 100,000 PQMs(or earn this via flight miles and the 50 percent PQM fare class bonus for high fare class tickets). So elite status requires one to fly great distances, but the loyalty program is simultaneously reducing the earnings of redeemable miles by 40 to 60 percent. Does this make any sense for loyalty? It is very likely to cause the loss of many valuable customers.
No sense at all. Both Premier status and redeemable miles should be based on spend alone.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
....At the same time, United and Delta both continue to base elite qualification upon distance traveled ....
and spend
UA/DL wants both!!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by briank1973
Will be at 800K lifetime miles at the end of this year, and I really wanted to go for 1MM by 2017/18. I just want to never worry about qualifying for Gold again and burn RDMs and avoid buying tickets (for personal flights).

The new changes do the following for me:

1) Platinum seems almost negligible now above Gold when on cheap tickets. The 2 RPUs are nice and a few other benefits, but it's not worth chasing and spending money on to get crap miles in return on lower fare tickets. I'll kayak when it comes to miles beyond gold qualification. I don't fly enough to make 1K (although I will this year), and I buy the lowest fares possible, so rarely do I have a chance to use GPUs.

2) Once I make 1MM, I'm only going to be a mileage burner on UA, not a cash ticket purchaser, IF AA's program is clearly better. Not as many options for me in MEL, but one can buy AU-US flights on AA.com (qantas metal), pay a bit more, and get 100% AAdv miles and avoid the crappy return in partner miles from Qantas.

I am eager to see the updated partner charts. Looking forward to trips to Europe on SQ or TG and earning miles on distance.
I'm thinking along same lines. At 1.3mm I have the lifetime gold on Star pocketed, or until United degrades that status too.

My main concern is getting Transpac/Transatlantic miles credited to AA program for full status credit.

I could qualify for 1K again this year and next under new rules, but I'm fence citing on whether to start my move now or get status match with AA next year.

My main regular travel is NZ to EU, which I've routed via Sydney and PDX (family stopover) to ride United metal.

Previously, I flew quicker, more comfortably on SQ, NZ or TG to EU.

With no incentive to regain gold card to stay in international star lounges I'm better off gaining lounge entry in other alliances and kayaking.

From my perspective, United has not only de-incentivised me riding them, but also other Star carriers.

Once I've got gold status with all I can ride any, anytime.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
No sense at all. Both Premier status and redeemable miles should be based on spend alone.
While it is unfortunate, I disagree here. Hotels have been doing this forever - rewarding loyalty with frequency and redemption points with spend. So it's not unheard of
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:53 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I am a Lifetime 1K. I am perplexed what to do.

I have calculated my spend based on likely future itineraries and my RDM will be reduced in 2015 by 50%+ compared to 2014. I used the RDM for leisure travel & mileage upgrades.

UA is not going to get me to significantly increase my spend to catch up in my RDM earnings loss (and UA has also increased the cost to redeem miles).

I guess I will join the many other mid-tier Premiers and seek OAL. UA will not be my main carrier of choice, I will only fly UA when I absolutely have to. I was hoping to make Lifetime GS, but now I doubt it is worth the pursuit.

I flew CO from the 80s and UA after the merger. Over 30 years! UA cares nothing about loyalty. This latest devaluation of the Premier benefits on top of all the degradation of service , poor on time arrival , IRROPS, etc., has finally driven me away.

I will start flying AA to replace many of my UA flights and status match.
I hope UA will not join UA and DAL with RDM earnings. I think AA will get significant new business if AA does not copy UA and DAL.

And what is really perplexing to me is why UA management thinks they can replace the many Premiers who are leaving? Flyers from OAL UA thinks will come to UA, IMHO, are not going to come en masse. They are likely aware that Premiers are leaving UA because of the degradation of UA. Why would flyers from OAL WANT to fly on UA?

Thanks UA management. You have succeeded in turning Friendly Skies into dark ones.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:49 am
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
I'm digging this thread up because I need to start planning my Feb/Mar 2015 travel soon.

I have been UA 1k for 8 years. I fly from SIN to United States about four times a year, plus one or two trips to Europe and within Asia. All of them are for work in economy class. So far in the last 8 years, I exclusively use UA for transpac flights, and other *A carriers for flights to Europe and Asia.

With the new RDM rule from Mar 2015 onwards, I will earn about 40% fewer miles when travelling on UA.

Here are options I'm considering.

1) stay with UA MP but use NH for all transpac flights, assuming the RDM earning for NH-plated NH-metal flights remains unchanged (this is still pending UA announcement, right?). Since I'm based outside of US I'm waived on the PQD requirment (this is confirmed for 2015, right?). I shall easily meet the 4-UA-metal-segments requirement on these NH-transpac tickets.

2) status matched and move over to AA. AA doesn't serve SIN on its own metal and I will have to buy AA-plated tickets with segments on JAL or CX. RDM earning should remain the same as in old UA days. A couple of downsides: a) AA tickets ex-SIN are typically more expensive and I might need some effort to justify to our finance; b) AA miles cannot be put on CC to trade for other currencies.

3) status matched and move over to AS, but fly AA or DL for transpac. I haven't studied very closely but it seems that RDM earning is also about the same as in old-UA days. I'm also not familiar with the use of AS miles, but at least I could put it up on CC.

Other options include joining NH/SQ/OZ, but without status matching, I don't find them attractive.

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.