What I'm doing pre/post 1-Mar-2015

Old Jun 12, 14, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What I'm doing pre/post 1-Mar-2015

This thread is more for what people are doing before and after 3/1/15, relative to the RDM changes being discussed in the other thread.

"Strategy for those planning to stay with United after March 1, 2015: Use whatever travel flexibility you have to squeeze in as many cheap, long-distance flights as you can before that date. Plan expensive, short-distance flights for afterwards". Adroitly noted by RNE, yesterday or day before.

I booked a "Pot and Bangers" European trip for January 2015, using last of 2013 SWUs and ensuring last gasp of miles under current RDM program. OGG into AMS and out of LHR.

I'll still be aiming for 1K in 2016 because UA is still the carrier of convenience out of OGG for my travel patterns. Not happy. I don't travel on OP(F/BF)M, but it is what it is. I'll still get plenty of upgrades to/from west coast. My credit card will be used in lieu of my debit card more frequently.
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since I anticipate only being gold next year, and my work travel for 2015 appears to be below average (at the moment) my strategy is simple - starting January 1, 2015, I will pick the carrier/flight that best meets my needs. If it is UA, fine. If it isn't, that's fine too. I'm done with slavish loyalty to UA - or any carrier, for that matter.

Since I was never into amassing miles to use for award flights - I use them primarily to UG - and I have around 300K in my MP account at the moment, that will give me a sufficient balance to use for UGs in 2015 and possibly 2016.
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:41 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
This thread is more for what people are doing before and after 3/1/15, relative to the RDM changes being discussed in the other thread.

"Strategy for those planning to stay with United after March 1, 2015: Use whatever travel flexibility you have to squeeze in as many cheap, long-distance flights as you can before that date. Plan expensive, short-distance flights for afterwards". Adroitly noted by RNE, yesterday or day before.

I booked a "Pot and Bangers" European trip for January 2015, using last of 2013 SWUs and ensuring last gasp of miles under current RDM program. OGG into AMS and out of LHR.

I'll still be aiming for 1K in 2016 because UA is still the carrier of convenience out of OGG for my travel patterns. Not happy. I don't travel on OP(F/BF)M, but it is what it is. I'll still get plenty of upgrades to/from west coast. My credit card will be used in lieu of my debit card more frequently.

Trapped at IAH, so UA is still the most convenient to most locations. However, after a Sydney trip in Feb, I will be much more open to flying the middle east/asian carriers out of Houston. Close to 2MM, and may get there next year, but at this stage, highly unhappy with UA's product quality and service. Food in domestic first is poorer than anythign I used to recieve in economy on Delta and American (not so long ago).
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:45 am

I will probably max out my miles and re-evaluate March 1. For those of you saying this works out better for you, the writing is on the wall. United intends to devalue the program. That is why I don't like it. It won't be long till you are on the other side of the fence.
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I have decided to gain 1K again for this year... I hope $SMI/J is gone by the end of the year and this changes be reverted. If not then I will probably become a kayaker
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
I'm done completely. My only remaining objectives are to (a) compile enough RDMs to top off my account for 2x one way J redemptions to NZ for holiday in late 2015 (return on AS miles) and (b) take advantage of any error fares of interest that crop up between now and doomsday. I also have to try to get Mrs PV_ orphan account to 10k miles for a short distance one way redemption.

4 remaining GPU will likely be given away to coworkers or go onto the trading block unless they are needed for said rdm earning to top off account.

edit to add that travel will increase on AS and i will probably also try to status challenge to DL later this year, since it seems that AS and DL will divorce. so, i'll probably be AS MVPG and DL plat next year, with 2016+ TBD.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jun 12, 14 at 5:09 pm
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I was going to shoot for Plat again but instead will probably stop at Gold. After that I'm moving over to AA, hopefully with a challenge. Will open a US Airways and AA credit card, that's 90K miles when the programs combine, and spend next year racking up AA miles the old school way until they too follow DL and UA. Then it's whoever will provide me the best value for the money, be it via schedule, price, service, etc. Loyalty is obviously a thing of the past.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA,AA, LH, DL; Starriott (er, Bonvoy); Hilton; Amex Plat
Not 100% sure yet. I'll keep flying United through the end of the year, then weigh the options. I'm ORD-based, so the choices are either to stick with UA and accept "game over," switch to AA (not the best for the routes I usually fly, but not terrible if I can do a status match) or start crediting to another *A carrier such as NH or OZ. Am interested in hearing what others are doing.

Last edited by zcat18; Jun 12, 14 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
i will fly on star alliance partner airlines and have the miles flown credited to my united account.

i really don't see the point in having status anymore. i never get upgrades. i also like having tsa pre-check but i plan on getting global entry so i am not relying on my status on united for quick security anymore. domestically, i never check any luggage so united has nothing to charge me with. internationally, i only have one checked bag. with my united card, i get free bag allowance anyways plus priority boarding and a (tiny) change of upgrading on my award ticket (probably will NEVER happen because i only book international award tickets and i like to book on non-united metal). the only thing is that when i downgraded from gold to silver, i totally missed the international lounges. i miss it ALOT (not the united lounges- those lounges are so BLEH- the star alliance lounges were awesome) but priority pass 100% met my needs and they have no airline affinity so i can go in on any airline ticket.

if united grants a waiver for $25k yearly spend, i will get silver status with no effort and very little united spend. i would just have to fly a minimum of 4 segments- two round trip quickies to lax would work!
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I will be flying ANA on ANA ticket stock and crediting the miles 100% to UA (with 100% 1K bonus still, as it stands)

I'm exempt from PQD, so this should still net me UA 1K based on the routes I fly (mostly Asia)
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Currently at 1.9 MM and was hoping to hit 2MM late next year (Plat for life & 1.75x miles), but with this devaluation.......struggling to see if UA deserves my business and worth chasing the 2MM.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Finish off this year to get to 1K again.
Fly a TON during Jan Feb 2015 to get most of the way to 1K again under old system.

Sit back.
Watch the disaster.
Wait for new CEO to take over.

Hope that new CEO de-Jeff's the place.

If that happens, fly a ton in late 2016 to requal 1K.
If not, live off the excesses of a decadent past.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
Wanted to echo everyone else's sentiments here. It's really been fun, and I almost never use miles for myself, but I like to fly my very deserving mom and family up front whenever they travel, and at this point, with the rewards devaluation, PQDs, and now this scheme, I'm out of the game. Will be aiming at Asia- and Mideast-based carriers, for want of quality customer service I've seen erode since merger. I've not participated in the UA antipathy for the most part, but this is the end. I'll requalify for 1K this year, but I'll take my biz elsewhere.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by matkusopet View Post
Wanted to echo everyone else's sentiments here. It's really been fun, and I almost never use miles for myself, but I like to fly my very deserving mom and family up front whenever they travel, and at this point, with the rewards devaluation, PQDs, and now this scheme, I'm out of the game. Will be aiming at Asia- and Mideast-based carriers, for want of quality customer service I've seen erode since merger. I've not participated in the UA antipathy for the most part, but this is the end. I'll requalify for 1K this year, but I'll take my biz elsewhere.
Yep, my trips to India will be on Emirates, Lufthansa etc. I won't use an American carrier unless I switch to AA and they award the way they are now or a hybrid where you get miles or distance, whichever is greater.
Old Jun 12, 14, 1:11 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
It's hard based out of IAH, but as someone else said. If UA is most convenient/best option on a route I'll take them. Chances are, if its TPAC or TATL, I'm gonna take someone else even if it's a bit more money. I'll be a GM after next year and I don't care.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: