Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
A manager can't confirm anything. Gold for life means nothing to this management. Let's not forget what they did to the current MM.
What did they do the current MM? I came into ask the same question pspark had, as I am nearing 1M, so I am hopeful for life stands.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
You do have a point.

But MQD's do not rollover, do they?
Looks like the answer is no: from Delta's FAQs

"Rollover MQMs will not change with the new program. As long as you earn Medallion status based on the new requirements, any MQMs in excess of the threshold needed for status earned will roll over. There will be no rollover of MQDs, the MQD Waiver (Delta SkyMiles Credit Card spend) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs)."

The rollover of MQMs started @2009 based on a customer's suggestion. Fancy that!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Graves
What did they do the current MM? I came into ask the same question pspark had, as I am nearing 1M, so I am hopeful for life stands.
They haven't done anything to million milers qualifying this year under the new program, but if you're a pre-merger UA million miler you've lost your 100% mileage bonus that came with lifetime Premier Executive and two annual regional upgrades. During the discussion of those changes many posters pointed out that UA reserves the right to change the program and benefits at any time, so your 2014 benefits may very well be different in subsequent years if UA makes more changes.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They also used to allow a1k to give someone else status.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
They also used to allow a1k to give someone else status.
They still do, and I think that if you are NOT aware of that you might want to call and add a name!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LilAbner
They still do, and I think that if you are NOT aware of that you might want to call and add a name!
?

If you're a MM and 1K, you can bestow status, but not with just 1K status.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by pspark
...but when 100 bucks gets you a 5-star hotel in BKK, etc, you make up the difference.
You did get the memo regarding BKK cancellation (on UA metal), right?

Now only options are *A or OAL's.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JBord

Sometimes you need to step back and look at the big picture, beyond your own personal benefit. What scares me is that they're coming for me and you next. We don't know how or when, but applauding changes like this just encourages more and more.
UA's game plan is divide and conquer. Those cheering this particular move are a subset of those cheering the PQD move. And soon there will be another announcement and those in favor will be a subset of the current chearleaders.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It is the mantra of CEOs these days, if in doubt, or you are out of your depth, try cutting your way to profit.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mecabq
This is a perfect example. You'd think that $742 is a pretty healthy fare for this route. Isn't the 1K who flies this twice per month a bread-and-butter high-value customer that United cares about?
But why are they more valuable and getting a better reward than the 1K who is flying DEN-ORD every week for a similar fare and only getting just over 3500 total miles for the trip under the current system? This flyer stands to gain under the new one. And please explain why one who flies further is automatically more valuable and apparently deserves to be rewarded more than the flyers who do short hops, because if you're defending the current system, that's exactly what you're saying - that long-haul flyers should be rewarded better than short haul flyers, regardless of revenue.

I didn't make Gold Medallion on DL for the first time until I started adding in some west coast trips. For the first three years I was a Medallion, most of my flying was limited to short-hops on the east coast. Because of those short hops, especially before I had status, it took me a heck of a lot of trips to earn enough miles for even one free domestic ticket, regardless of the fact that some of those trips were $400 tickets. If only getting the 500 mile minimum (which I don't think UA even has anymore for non-elites) it would take 25 round trips (at 2 segments earning 500 miles each or 1,000 miles total) to get ONE free domestic ticket. 25 round trips REGARDLESS of how much you paid or put it. For a further example: under the current (outgoing system), a general member would have to fly DEN-ORD 15 times to get a free ticket. A 1K would have to fly it 7 times to get a free domestic ticket. That's regardless of the fare that's paid. Yet if flying SFO-JFK, a general member would only have to fly it 5 times to get a free ticket while a 1K would only have to fly it 3 times. And again, that's regardless of how much they paid. So please tell me what is fair about a system like that or why it needs to be kept and why the airlines are so horrible for going to a system that rewards its flyers more equally.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Jun 15, 2014 at 3:52 am
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
UA's game plan is divide and conquer. Those cheering this particular move are a subset of those cheering the PQD move.
Divide, yes. Conquer, no.

Mr. Smisek just managed to convert loyal mid-tier elites into kettles...and others into AA/DL/OAL customers. That's not exactly "conquering," unless Mr. Smisek is actually an agent of AA/DL/OALs.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And soon there will be another announcement and those in favor will be a subset of the current chearleaders.
That's the real problem here.

Mr. Smisek had the opportunity to unveil a thoughtful, careful redesign of MP that rewarded both spend and loyalty.

Instead, United's (and the former Continental's, too) most loyal customers are being treated to a loyalty program that would astound Rube Goldberg with questionable service improvements, and the end result may very well be United's death...by a thousand cuts, especially since United can't manage its customers expectations and can't communicate any further beyond corporatese.

But hey, I could expect nothing less from an Ivy League lawyer and economist with no real business experience who's prone to spreadsheet thinking.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2174 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Real question is why wouldn't you buy a ticket on another airline with a better long haul product?
SWU?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vandrei
Instead, United's (and the former Continental's, too) most loyal customers are being treated to a loyalty program that would astound Rube Goldberg with questionable service improvements, and the end result may very well be United's death...by a thousand cuts, especially since United can't manage its customers expectations and can't communicate any further beyond corporatese.
What service improvements have accompanied the new MP program?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2174 Mobile Safari/537.35+)
Real question is why wouldn't you buy a ticket on another airline with a better long haul product?
One reason, that I haven't seen discussed here, and I know will be controversial, is the Pilots. I believe the Pilots (for mainline flights) on AA/Delta/United are far better trained and more experienced then any of the Asian airlines. With the newer airplanes and improved computers this isn't as big of a deal, but you look at what happened in SFO last year and just shake your head.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by bldr1k
One reason, that I haven't seen discussed here, and I know will be controversial, is the Pilots. I believe the Pilots (for mainline flights) on AA/Delta/United are far better trained and more experienced then any of the Asian airlines. With the newer airplanes and improved computers this isn't as big of a deal, but you look at what happened in SFO last year and just shake your head.

I recall that it was a UAL pilot (not an Asian carrier) that nearly flew a 747 into San Bruno mountain. The reason? He had only done one take-off/landing in that plane in over a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.