Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Guide to UA Crew Rest Seats -- and do they get released for normal bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phkc070408
**** Needs updating ****
General Information
[Describe conditions for when pilot/FA crew rest seats must be reserved, what's provided by the contract, etc.]

737-800 Micronesia
Pilot: 1AB (2AB are blocked due to extensive recline of 1AB)
FA:

757-200 Intl
Pilot: 4A Or 4B
FA: 40DEF

767-300 3-Class (High J/P+)
Pilot: 1A???
FA: 43AB 44AB

767-300 3-Class (Low J/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

767-400 3-Class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Intl 3-class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Hawaii
Pilot: 1AB
FA: Seats 5AB. Available on short hops (including West Coast to/from Hawaii); available for assignment at check-in. Normal F seats with increased recline.

777-300 Intl (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

787-8/9
Pilot: (Bunks.)
FA: (Bunks.)

787-10
Pilot: Bunks
FA: Bunks

Below configs no longer exist

767-300 2-Class (Polaris)
Pilot:
FA: 40AB, 41AB

767-300 2-Class (Non-Polaris)
Pilot: 6D
FA: 16AB, 17AB

767-400
Pilot: 7D
FA: 43KL, 44KL

777-200 Intl 2-class (sCO)
Pilot: One bunk. If there is a second relief officer, he/she gets a BF seat.
FA: Rest area is above the passenger compartment in the rear of coach.

777-200 Intl 3-class (sUA)
Pilot: suite 2A for XQ planes, 2A & 2K for XJ planes.
FA: XQ/XJ: Rest area in cargo level (entry at lavs behind E+); XD: Rows 29 and 30 of E+.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S

Was just wondering if there is also a crew rest on 767-400 in rows 16&17 AB seats as it is the case of sCO 767-300?
I cannot find any info on these seats.

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Was just wondering if there is also a crew rest on 767-400 in rows 16&17 AB seats as it is the case of sCO 767-300?
I cannot find any info on these seats.

Thanks
First off, the 767-300s in the fleet belong to subsidiary United Airlines Inc.

There is no dedicated crew rest on the Continental 767-400. Flight attendants usually get a row or two curtained off to themselves. These are regular Economy seats on the refurbished 764s if I'm not mistaken -- no extra legroom and a leg rest like the F/A crew rests on the sUA 763s.

A BusinessFirst seat, usually the rear seat in the middle, is blocked for the pilots as well.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Thank you TravelBeat.

This is what I was looking for ..if rows 16&17 have leg rest. This is something additional to other economy plus seats as I saw it on 767-300.

I was surprised to see these seats open, but it is a domestic IAD IAH flight.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
The F/A crew rest seats on the 3-cabin B767-300 are sold as revenue Economy seats on flights where they aren't reserved for the cabin crew. So on domestic flights, and certain international routes, you may select them.

I *think* the flight attendants treat the seats as part of the Business Class cabin, so pax who are assigned to them on International segments where they're not needed will get the C-cabin treatment -- drinks, an amenity kit, International Business Class meal service. This is my understanding, but having never actually been in one of these seats, I could be flat out wrong.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
+1 Blocked 767-400

Noticed most European flights on the 767–400 had a blocked seat in BF when you pull up their upgrade page. Is it held until the departure or is it a pilot rest seat that will go unoccupied by passengers
Old May 8, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Noticed most European flights on the 767–400 had a blocked seat in BF when you pull up their upgrade page. Is it held until the departure or is it a pilot rest seat that will go unoccupied by passengers
Pilot rest seat.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:24 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
The F/A crew rest seats on the 3-cabin B767-300 are sold as revenue Economy seats on flights where they aren't reserved for the cabin crew. So on domestic flights, and certain international routes, you may select them.

I *think* the flight attendants treat the seats as part of the Business Class cabin, so pax who are assigned to them on International segments where they're not needed will get the C-cabin treatment -- drinks, an amenity kit, International Business Class meal service. This is my understanding, but having never actually been in one of these seats, I could be flat out wrong.
You're partially right...

Domestically, UA will only offer the crew rest seats for assignment if the flight is full. (Unless something has changed in the last year...I was traveling with 3 coworkers--2 of us got upgraded, the other, I tried to get into one of the crew rest seats, but since the flight wasn't nearly full, it didn't work). But you are correct that at least domestically, they get the full J-class treatment--meal, drinks, etc. Couldn't tell you about the amenity kit on intl flights...But I actually think that point is moot.

But doesn't really matter these days anyway, as they don't schedule 3-cabin planes on domestic routes anymore.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
But you are correct that at least domestically, they get the full J-class treatment--meal, drinks, etc. Couldn't tell you about the amenity kit on intl flights...But I actually think that point is moot.
I wonder if that is unique to the 3-cabin 763ERs, as the crew rest seats on the 777s and 2-cabin 763ERs do not receive business class service (they are physically located in the Y cabin). I haven't tried the crew rest seats on that fleet yet.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

You're partially right...

Domestically, UA will only offer the crew rest seats for assignment if the flight is full. (Unless something has changed in the last year...I was traveling with 3 coworkers--2 of us got upgraded, the other, I tried to get into one of the crew rest seats, but since the flight wasn't nearly full, it didn't work). But you are correct that at least domestically, they get the full J-class treatment--meal, drinks, etc. Couldn't tell you about the amenity kit on intl flights...But I actually think that point is moot.

But doesn't really matter these days anyway, as they don't schedule 3-cabin planes on domestic routes anymore.
+1 on C cabin service, but comparable to what everyone else in C is getting. If it's a domestic flight, then no amenity kits.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1) What types of international flights?
2) Do they tend to become available shortly before flight time, or are they available at booking?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:52 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
1) What types of international flights?
2) Do they tend to become available shortly before flight time, or are they available at booking?
I'm curious about #1 myself. I don't know of an intercontinental flight that is short enough for no crew rest...Maybe EWR-LHR? (I have no idea).

As I stated in my earlier post, they are only available for assignment if the flight is full...Sort of 'last to be assigned'. If anything, they might open up at T-24, maybe T-4, or perhaps only at the gate...And again, only if the flight is (anticipated to be) full.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...But doesn't really matter these days anyway, as they don't schedule 3-cabin planes on domestic routes anymore.
I'm on one next month (UA408 6/29, unless subbed) SFO-IAD as one leg of my $1500 round-trip lie-flat journey from Hawaii to Rome.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm curious about #1 myself. I don't know of an intercontinental flight that is short enough for no crew rest...Maybe EWR-LHR? (I have no idea).
EWR-LHR doesn't technically require crew rest, but since the return leg of the trip does, crews are augmented and the seats are blocked from assignment.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm curious about #1 myself. I don't know of an intercontinental flight that is short enough for no crew rest...Maybe EWR-LHR? (I have no idea)...
Bogota, Quito, and Lima are on another continent, although we like to think of it as ours at times...
Old May 8, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm on one next month (UA408 6/29, unless subbed) SFO-IAD as one leg of my $1500 round-trip lie-flat journey from Hawaii to Rome.
$1500 RT HNL > ROM? That's a score any day. UG as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.