Wiki Posts
Search

PQD when no Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish
PQD when no Miles

I have recently flown three legs on 016 tickets that were not eligible for miles (cheap turkish and Lufthansa fares) no problem with that , however United has not posted the PQDs for the fares. I have seen nothing that makes mile eligibility on 016 stock is a requirement for PQD credit.

I did a search and did not find this issue in a thread . If i missed it feel free to redirect
Old May 9, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
PQD T&Cs #8:

Codeshare and partner flights: If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn. The fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
(emphasis mine)
Old May 9, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.

this simply says if the FLIGHT is not eligible. A Flight is not the same as a ticket. you don't buy a flight on 016 stock you buy a ticket for a flight cf If you purchase a ticket for a flight

It would have the meaning you describe if it said "If a TICKET is not eligible"

Last edited by morelegroom; May 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by morelegroom
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/qualify.aspx

that is not what is says on the chart
Note that it says:

Certain exclusions to Premier qualifying credit (PQM/PQS/PQD) may apply.

The language quoted by mduell appears when you click through on "exclusions."

Prior to mduell's post, I was unaware of this exclusion, and I've followed this subject closely. It's rather mean-spirited. You did spent the $$ on 016 stock.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Ice cold. Sorry to hear.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.

this simply says if the FLIGHT is not eligible. A Flight is not the same as a ticket. you don't buy a flight on 016 stock you buy a ticket for a flight cf If you purchase a ticket for a flight

Reread the first part "If you purchase a ticket for a flight..."
Old May 9, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Reread the first part "If you purchase a ticket for a flight..."
the whole sentence says

If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn.

It says nothing about If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines WHETHER YOU GET PQDS

I read it exactly
I purchased a ticket for a "flight" on which other passengers get PQM miels an PQD the FLIGHT is thus eligible.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I read it exactly
I purchased a ticket for a "flight" on which other passengers get PQM miels an PQD the FLIGHT is thus eligible.
Sorry, that interpretation is completely off the wall.

mduell nailed it the first time.

I can't believe you're arguing with people who are expressing sympathy here
Old May 9, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the whole sentence says

If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn.

It says nothing about If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines WHETHER YOU GET PQDS

I read it exactly
I don't know why I'm still arguing, but yes it does. The whole things follows from whether or not you get miles. No miles also means to PQM or PQD. Clear as could be.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PQD are awarded on a per-flight basis. To get PQD credit, both the ticket and flight must be eligible for PQD.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
PQD are awarded on a per-flight basis. To get PQD credit, both the ticket and flight must be eligible for PQD.

sure We are analyzing the issue of whether an 016 ticket is eligible for PQD

Where does lufthansa get control over the ticket?

Here is the statement

Clear as day. NO miles. but miles are not dollars. if United wrote that that operating airline "determines how many PQDS and miles " etc. I would have no problem. But they didn't
they wrote miles. NOT Dollars

So this sentence cannot support denial

later United writes

But flights are not tickets Flights are never on 016 stock
Only Tickets are on 016 stock

If they wrote if a ticket on a partner flight is not eligible, no problem. But they didn't

So what language do you use to get across these gaps.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PQD are earned on a per-flight basis.

Quoting the FAQ linked above: "The PQD you earn for each eligible flight"

Your ticket is eligible for PQD since it's 016. The PQD allocated to each flight on that ticket may or may not be eligible for accrual. The flights that credit no miles also credit no PQD.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
So, I have a question that is only marginally-related to this thread ... but I don't think it's off-the-wall irrelevant.

How can one tell when booking on united.com that such restrictions apply? Example, I'm looking at taking SK from TXL-AMS via OSL. united.com claims it to be an L fare. According to everything I can find, I should get PQM, PQD and EQM. (500-mile minima? I am looking at other connections.) But will I? Is it that much of a cr@pshoot?

(I'm assuming I'll get a big, fat 0 for Germanwings-- earlier on this same trip.)

This is all pretty straightforward on most flights I would take, but I get very confused as to which partner flights earn PQMs, PQDs and EQMs no matter how much I stare at the info on united.com; throw in my uncertainty over the applicability regarding 500-mile mimina, and I'm really .
Old May 9, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
So, I have a question that is only marginally-related to this thread ... but I don't think it's off-the-wall irrelevant.

How can one tell when booking on united.com that such restrictions apply? Example, I'm looking at taking SK from TXL-AMS via OSL. united.com claims it to be an L fare. According to everything I can find, I should get PQM, PQD and EQM. (500-mile minima? I am looking at other connections.) But will I? Is it that much of a cr@pshoot?
The links on this page cover partner earnings.

From the page for SAS:
- A flight booked in L earns 100% RDM, 100% PQM, and 1 PQS.
- The RDM and PQM have a 500 mile minimum for elites.

So an SK flight booked in L fare on UA 016 ticket stock from united.com earns PQD since the flight earns award miles and the ticket is PQD eligible.

Note if you were booked on UA6889, a UA codeshare on a SAS flight, in L class, you would need to determine the matching SK booking class to determine mileage accural. This information is available from EF or KVS.

The only cr@pshoot is earning is subject to the rules at the time of the flight, not the time of booking, and they can and do change over time.

(I'm assuming I'll get a big, fat 0 for Germanwings-- earlier on this same trip.)
If your fare is in one of the mileage earning fare classes on Germanwings (D, J, I, C, H, Q, V, W, S, G, K, L, T, X, Y, B, M, N, E, F, O, R), it will earn award miles and PQD, but not PQM or PQS.

This is all pretty straightforward on most flights I would take, but I get very confused as to which partner flights earn PQMs, PQDs and EQMs no matter how much I stare at the info on united.com; throw in my uncertainty over the applicability regarding 500-mile mimina, and I'm really .
The partner pages will mention 500 mi mins if they apply. Note 500 mi min applies to base miles, so a fare class that earns 50% will only earn 250 mi if the flight is under 500 mi.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
mduell, what I emphasized from your first post in this thread is what really confuses me.

Codeshare and partner flights: If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn. The fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
(emphasis mine)
It makes it sounds like I can't really know if I'll actually earn miles based on what united.com tells me. Or is this really only an issue if I don't go through United to purchase my tickets?

If your fare is in one of the mileage earning fare classes on Germanwings (D, J, I, C, H, Q, V, W, S, G, K, L, T, X, Y, B, M, N, E, F, O, R), it will earn award miles and PQD, but not PQM or PQS.
Oh, yeah. There's PQD. I did forget about that, as I'm primarily concerned with PQM.

The partner pages will mention 500 mi mins if they apply.
Ah, and it appears that SK does have 500-mile minima. Don't know why I didn't see that the first time I looked.

At any rate, thanks for the response! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.