Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, just have to call it in
This was surprising. I had to call the UA Silver line to reserve my business class seats on LH booked on UA stock. I thought the systems would be more integrated than they currently are.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
I found out about this after I had booked my United ticket and opted for a later Lufthansa return flight.

That you don't even have an option to pay for a seat assignment because it's not on Lufthansa stock is a total failure.

With every year the Star Alliance is becoming less sticky precisely when it should be getting tighter against competitors like Norwegian (who are big trouble for United/LH in Europe with their fares and service) and Emirates on the long haul.

It's crazy that a decade later even on a V fare you can't select your seat online for LH flights via the United site.

This is just the latest example of why you have to stick to UA planes at all cost (if your goal is EQM with United).

The only recent move Lufthansa has made that is remotely interesting is their introduction of a premium economy. Although I'm sure it will be impossible to book that on United ticket stock.

Last edited by EndlosLuft; Jul 18, 2014 at 4:08 am Reason: for clarity
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
It's crazy that a decade later even on a V fare you can't select your seat online for LH flights via the United site.
Just to add a contrasting data point: My boss booked LH non-stop LAX-FRA-LAX for next month yesterday. Booked into economy on a V-fare on UA stock. Was able to both select and change seats on UA.com.

So it appears as if the reports are mistaken in this particular case, or there is something inconsistent going on behind the scenes.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
So to summarize:

- When on 016 ticket stock, *Golds can no longer select seats in Y on LH long haul flights
- When on LH ticket stock, *Golds CAN select seats but only via charge if on cheap fares
- Some folks have been able to use other sites to assign seats anyway
- Some folks have been able to get assignments by calling LH USA

Does that sum it up?
Except the first two points are are at least partially incorrect, based on what I've read and my (admittedly limited) experience.

For the first point, on UA (016) stock, you can select seats with LH assuming you are on a V fare or higher (and very recent posts seem to indicate you can do it on UAs site). But you can not purchase a seat from a lower fare class, as LH has no way to reconcile the cost with a UA ticket (or that of any OAL partner, I believe). *G has nothing to do with this, AFAIK. IME, even prior to the change, *G could not select many seats near the front of the aircraft, as they are blocked for LHs HON members only, I believe. Although some have suggested that LH blocks empty seats next to *G pax when able to, I don't know if there has ever been enough concrete proof of a policy. I know that my wife and I had an empty seat next to us on an LH flight late last year - though have no idea if it was because of a block or it just happened to remain empty.

For the second point, again, *G has nothing to do with it. On a V+ fare, anyone can select a seat free of charge (regardless of ticket stock) - though likely, as mentioned above, some rows near the front are blocked for HON only. On <V fares, you can choose a seat for a fee - again, regardless of *G or a flyer not using an FF #.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sakaike
Just to add a contrasting data point: My boss booked LH non-stop LAX-FRA-LAX for next month yesterday. Booked into economy on a V-fare on UA stock. Was able to both select and change seats on UA.com.
Sorry, I do not believe this to be possible. .com does not offer on-line seat selection for non-UA operated flights:

Advanced seat assignments are not available on united.com for this flight. Please see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment.

(Although I have been assigned seats on UA booked, LH operated flights, I have never been able to select them on united.com.)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, I do not believe this to be possible. .com does not offer on-line seat selection for non-UA operated flights:

Advanced seat assignments are not available on united.com for this flight. Please see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment.

(Although I have been assigned seats on UA booked, LH operated flights, I have never been able to select them on united.com.)
I believe it could be possible. While definitely short lived - there was a brief time when I booked an AC flight as part of a UA itin and was able to select a seat assignment on UA.com. I was shocked , but next time I tried it, I got the usual message you mention above.

And in the in a dream world category, would be nice if UA would join much of the airline world, including many *A carriers, in using Amadeus - would really help out for things like this.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I believe it could be possible. While definitely short lived - there was a brief time when I booked an AC flight as part of a UA itin and was able to select a seat assignment on UA.com. I was shocked , but next time I tried it, I got the usual message you mention above.

And in the in a dream world category, would be nice if UA would join much of the airline world, including many *A carriers, in using Amadeus - would really help out for things like this.
I did a test booking on the UA LAX-FRA codeshare before posting that. Got the error message when I went to select seats.

I agree it would be awesome if UA were to switch to Amadeus. Maybe they could hire TG to consult, since TG has the best website for selecting seats on *A partners. Who would have thought the Thais would have better IT than the Germans, Koreans, Japanese, and Americans
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

I just tried to do the same dummy booking and got the same results as you.

Having said that, I'm not yet ready to call my boss a liar, and while I wasn't looking over his shoulder when he made the booking, I'm wondering if it might have been possible that a seat was assigned when he made the booking, i.e., finished the transaction and paid for the ticket, and then upon being fully ticketed, he was then allowed to change seats, which he claimed he was able to do.

ETA: I was Skyping with him while he was purchasing the ticket, because he's a Plat and I'm a 1K and we're going to use two of my GPUs to hopefully get him upgraded. Here's the relevant portion of our chat:

Boss: Just did it. (purchased the ticket)
[7/17/2014 4:54:21 PM] Boss: They do allow you to pick your seat.
[7/17/2014 4:54:27 PM] Boss: change your seat
[7/17/2014 4:54:50 PM] Boss: I know using miles you have to be on LH paper
[7/17/2014 4:54:57 PM] Boss: I think the GPU can be either

Last edited by sakaike; Jul 19, 2014 at 8:07 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:44 am

I'm wondering if it might have been possible that a seat was assigned when he made the booking, i.e., finished the transaction and paid for the ticket, and then upon being fully ticketed, he was then allowed to change seats, which he claimed he was able to do.
I have definitely experienced getting a seat assigned by LH. The "change" thing still has me scratching my head.

Life is full of mysteries
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
he's a Plat and I'm a 1K and we're going to use two of my GPUs to hopefully get him upgraded.
I hope you're getting a serious bonus this year!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I hope you're getting a serious bonus this year!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:34 pm

Those GPUs would have gone to waste this year on domestic upgrades due to a decrease in my business travel this year. But he will make 1K next year after dropping to Plat this year, and has promised to pay me those GPUs back next year. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to use them
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:34 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
So much for seamless travel
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
It seems that the LH seat tool is now working again on their website - it hasn't worked for months for me but decided to try it again today and it worked flawlessly...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:37 pm

I just tried again as well, no where I can find an option to select seats after putting in my booking code and last name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.