Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:13 pm

Booking Lufthansa flights on United.com as codeshare: online checkin?

I'm looking at booking Lufthansa operated flights (LAX-MUC-KBP-MUC-LAX) on United.com sold as codeshares -- i.e. UA flight numbers. Fare classes are S and L. Trying to figure out two things:

1. If I book this way, will I get a Lufthansa booking code that I can use to log in to Lufthansa.com and select seats via their website through online check-in 24 hours before the flight? Or will I get stuck with a random seat assignment or forced to check-in at the airport?

2. As a MileagePlus member and Chase United cardholder, what's better for reaching status? Book on United.com or Lufthansa.com?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ralphch
As a MileagePlus member and Chase United cardholder, what's better for reaching status? Book on United.com or Lufthansa.com?
No difference.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm looking at booking Lufthansa operated flights (LAX-MUC-KBP-MUC-LAX) on United.com sold as codeshares -- i.e. UA flight numbers. Fare classes are S and L. Trying to figure out two things:

1. If I book this way, will I get a Lufthansa booking code that I can use to log in to Lufthansa.com and select seats via their website through online check-in 24 hours before the flight? Or will I get stuck with a random seat assignment or forced to check-in at the airport? ...
discount economy have a seat book fee

2. As a MileagePlus member and Chase United cardholder, what's better for reaching status? Book on United.com or Lufthansa.com?
If a domestic MP member, you will need PQDs and you will on get PQDs for an LH if booked by United (on 016 ticket stock).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
discount economy have a seat book fee
Thanks.
Yes, I know that from booking with Lufthansa directly. But if I book via United, will I still be able to do online check-in on Lufthansa's site 24 hours before the flight and pick a seat then? Do you know if I get a Lufthansa PNR by booking on United with codeshare flighs? UA flight numbers, not LH flight numbers.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But if I book via United, will I still be able to do online check-in on Lufthansa's site 24 hours before the flight and pick a seat then? ...
Yes

... Do you know if I get a Lufthansa PNR by booking on United with codeshare flighs? UA flight numbers, not LH flight numbers. ...
LH PNR is available but for the past couple of years UA PNR will work on the LH site.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:25 pm

LH PNR is available but for the past couple of years UA PNR will work on the LH site.
Thanks, that's very helpful. The fare I'm looking at is same price, $982, on United and Lufthansa's site. I don't have any status currently, so regarding mileage...

Do you know how mileage accrual work on codeshare flights booked via United.com?

If I book on United.com with my Chase United card, I expect to get 6,874 award miles per dollar (7 * $982) vs 6,805 award miles booking on Lufthansa.com (S, L fares are 50% of miles flown). But this on United's site is throwing me off...

Does this mean if I purchase on United.com, I won't earn miles based on spend?

Because if so, this is less miles than booking via Lufthansa. This is quite confusing.

Also, the only other difference I can see is by booking with Lufthansa I don't get any PQDs.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:43 pm

... Do you know how mileage accrual work on codeshare flights booked via United.com? ..
PQMs are the same regardless of how purchased.

... If I book on United.com with my Chase United card, I expect to get 6,874 award miles per dollar (7 * $982) vs 6,805 award miles booking on Lufthansa.com (S, L fares are 50% of miles flown). But this on United's site is throwing me off...

Does this mean if I purchase on United.com, I won't earn miles based on spend? ....
The UA site does not report the 2x miles earned via the credit card, just the 5 * PQDs earned by a General Member for flying.

Also, the only other difference I can see is by booking with Lufthansa I don't get any PQDs.
correct
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:51 pm

The UA site does not report the 2x miles earned via the credit card, just the 5 * PQDs earned by a General Member for flying.
Thanks a lot, I see that now if I divide those 4,215 miles shown by United by the $841 fare (excludes taxes), then I get 5. So when I add the extra 2 points, I end up pretty much the same as booking directly with Lufthansa.com.

Other than the PQDs, is there any other real benefit to booking this on United vs just going directly with Lufthansa? What will be the least hassle should there be any issues with seats, flights, delays, airline cancellations, etc?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot, I see that now if I divide those 4,215 miles shown by United by the $841 fare (excludes taxes), then I get 5. So when I add the extra 2 points, I end up pretty much the same as booking directly with Lufthansa.com.
Well, you'd still earn 1x the (total) fare for booking on the Explorer card even if you buy from Lufthansa. So, it sounds like you still come out ahead by purchasing on Lufthansa.com. That's not uncommon -- spend-based earnings are a significant downgrade for discount fares.

Other than the PQDs, is there any other real benefit to booking this on United vs just going directly with Lufthansa? What will be the least hassle should there be any issues with seats, flights, delays, airline cancellations, etc?
The PQDs are the only reason to book with United -- but if you expect to get status from United, you'll either need the PQDs or a waiver. Everything else will be simpler if you book with Lufthansa.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:08 pm

... Other than the PQDs, is there any other real benefit to booking this on United vs just going directly with Lufthansa? What will be the least hassle should there be any issues with seats, flights, delays, airline cancellations, etc?
Other than PQDs there are minor differences, many suggest if all else equal, book with the operator is better (avoids this seat assignment of codeshares issue)
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1791518 for a list of pros/cons
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:00 am

Other than PQDs there are minor differences, many suggest if all else equal, book with the operator is better (avoids this seat assignment of codeshares issue)
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1791518 for a list of pros/cons
Thanks, I ended up booking with Lufthansa. The strange thing is that when booking through Lufthansa's site, it said I was going to get ~2,500 award miles which is MUCH less than I calculated. I assume this is if I were using Miles&More, and it's not calculating what the United MileagePlus award miles will be?

Reading United's website, fare class S and L should be 50% of miles flown, but then there's a very cryptic sentence that says: "You'll earn miles based on flight distance5 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown.6" further accompanied by an even more confusing footnote: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hansa.html#fn6

Does this mean that if I fly ~12,000 miles and purchased fare class S, L on Lufthansa, I will not necessarily earn 50% of those as award miles, and it might be whatever else they choose? And is there a way to find out ahead of time how many miles I'll actually earn?

Thanks again for your help. Quite the adventure trying to figure this out.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I ended up booking with Lufthansa. The strange thing is that when booking through Lufthansa's site, it said I was going to get ~2,500 award miles which is MUCH less than I calculated. I assume this is if I were using Miles&More, and it's not calculating what the United MileagePlus award miles will be?
Yes, that’s correct. The new fare-based Miles & More system is even stingier than MileagePlus.

Does this mean that if I fly ~12,000 miles and purchased fare class S, L on Lufthansa, I will not necessarily earn 50% of those as award miles, and it might be whatever else they choose? And is there a way to find out ahead of time how many miles I'll actually earn?
The footnote is intended to cover a whole bunch of different scenarios, such as booking one fare class and flying another due to an upgrade, irregular operations, or a fare class mapping as part of a codeshare. There’s a 99+% chance you’ll get 50% of the flown distance. There’s a chance you’ll get more (if you get re-routed onto a nearly-full flight, for example), and there’s a chance you’ll get less (if they change the earnings table between now and then).

There’s nothing you can do about that latter scenario, except to write in after the fact and request credit based upon the charts that were in place on the day you bought the ticket. For partner flights, they may or may not honor that request.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, thats correct. The new fare-based Miles & More system is even stingier than MileagePlus.

The footnote is intended to cover a whole bunch of different scenarios, such as booking one fare class and flying another due to an upgrade, irregular operations, or a fare class mapping as part of a codeshare. Theres a 99+% chance youll get 50% of the flown distance. Theres a chance youll get more (if you get re-routed onto a nearly-full flight, for example), and theres a chance youll get less (if they change the earnings table between now and then).

Theres nothing you can do about that latter scenario, except to write in after the fact and request credit based upon the charts that were in place on the day you bought the ticket. For partner flights, they may or may not honor that request.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

I've flown Lufthansa quite a bit in the last year, and have to say their Miles&More program looks terrible for a budget traveler like myself, so I'll stick with MP. Also, their website is a disaster compared to everyone else's (e.g. SAS, Swiss, United, etc). Hope they get some good UX people to fix that soon, since it looks like something out of the 90's. Quite the jarring experience to book on their site.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Bumping this thread up:

Have 4 long-haul LH flights as a part of an itinerary: Since the ticket was reserved by my Corp TA, two of the 4 LH flights are on UA code-shares, and the other two are with LH flight numbers, plated on '016' ticket. Here's the current scenario that I am facing:

1. 1st long-haul leg: UA9xxx in 'Y' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats
2. 2nd long-haul leg: UA9xxx in 'A' class (Premium Economy): Got the last available aisle seat for free
3. 3rd long-haul leg: LHxxx in 'W' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats
4. 4th long-haul leg: LHxxx in 'W' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats

I am Star-Alliance lifetime Gold (not that it matters much these days with LH), and my number is in the rez. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to pay for all these seats? I have an appealing offer to upgrade the other 3 legs to Premium Economy, and, I see it a better deal than paying for the extra-legroom economy seats.

Also, when does LH open OLCI? And when can I select the seats for free, if I really have to pay to do it in advance? 24 hours? 48 hours?

Thank you!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Bumping this thread up:

Have 4 long-haul LH flights as a part of an itinerary: Since the ticket was reserved by my Corp TA, two of the 4 LH flights are on UA code-shares, and the other two are with LH flight numbers, plated on '016' ticket. Here's the current scenario that I am facing:

1. 1st long-haul leg: UA9xxx in 'Y' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats
2. 2nd long-haul leg: UA9xxx in 'A' class (Premium Economy): Got the last available aisle seat for free
3. 3rd long-haul leg: LHxxx in 'W' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats
4. 4th long-haul leg: LHxxx in 'W' class (Economy): I am being charged for any / all seats

I am Star-Alliance lifetime Gold (not that it matters much these days with LH), and my number is in the rez. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to pay for all these seats? I have an appealing offer to upgrade the other 3 legs to Premium Economy, and, I see it a better deal than paying for the extra-legroom economy seats.

Also, when does LH open OLCI? And when can I select the seats for free, if I really have to pay to do it in advance? 24 hours? 48 hours?

Thank you!
The first segment is a little strange.. did you really mean "long-haul"? It looks like a segment on an aircraft with no Premium Economy, which would be a narrowbody. Other than that, yes, LH charges for seat selection (ASR) on all restricted tickets in Economy, even delegated segments of restricted premium fares that are otherwise in "full Y". Only exceptions are for M&M SEN and HON. For what it's worth they do still treat *G fairly well, and as a *G on a Y fare you'd be near the top of the op-up list (I've been op-upped a few times within Europe).

LH opens check in at T-23h to departure, according to their website. You will receive an automatic assignment at check-in, and also be able to change it using LH online checkin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.