Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chlorinedream
Hi - I just booked a flight on United.com (Fare V) in July that is operated by Lufthansa on the return portion.

I was able to select seats in Economy over the phone and through their web site. But I was wondering if its possible to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy or Exit Row? The first CSR I spoke said any upgrades would have to be done at the airport - which I presume means check in. Is there no way to purchase an upgrade beforehand?....
If sold as a codeshare (UA flight number) I believe the agent was correct.

Originally Posted by Chlorinedream
.... In addition, I tried to see if I could use Mileage Plus miles to upgrade. ....
On LH operated flights only J, Y, B, E and G {LH} fares class, your fare class is likely not upgradeable with MP miles. Additionally if coded as an UA flight, codeshares are not eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards
and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Love Lufthansa, but... can I get a better Y seat as a UA platinum?

For work I fly LH a few times per year, primarily LAX to Frankfurt with stops (United metal the first leg). With UA Platinum, I get to sit in the Lufthansa lounge, which has been a great experience overall. What I am wondering is, why do I consistently get a crummy seat on the LH segments? Is there a trick to get to E+, or some other way of improving odds of upgrade?

Right now I am sitting in the best available E seat at the aisle (picked by me 24 hrs ago), getting periodically smacked upside the head by backpacks and small children.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great question, and I completely agree. What especially smarted was hearing from LH recently that because my ticket was on UA stock, they had no way of even charging me for a preferred seat if I were willing to pay. Which I was. But I couldn't.

You'd think Star Alliance would want their best customers to have a more seamless experience.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:36 pm

LH has a premium economy, which is a separate class of service, so no dice on the upgrade. LH also doesn't offer free seating assignments, and I've heard it's difficult to purchase an assignment on a UA codeshare.

If you wanted a seamless experience you might as well ask for all the *A carriers to just become one carrier
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Book your LH flights on LH stock (220), and they'll let you pay for a good Y seat.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
E+ and Premium economy are totally different things in the real world.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steveman518
. LH also doesn't offer free seating assignments,
This is absolutely incorrect.

It is true LH does not allow free seat assignments (at least in Y) on intra-Europe segments at all, or on low fare classes (I think V or higher, though it might be W, is required for a free assignment). But the blanket statement that LH doesn't allow free seat assignments is false.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last I saw LH *G don't get to pick E+ for free so why should LH let UA *G get the better seats without paying for it? And as a *G you can use a LH lounge and as a LH *G they can us the UA club. Looks like those 2 benefits are the same both ways.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've had pretty good luck on intra-EU connections with LH from UA TATL flights. Middle seat, but in an exit row, and an op-up to J on an oversold Y cabin from HEL-FRA. For flights of one to two hours, I don't bother trying to pre-book seats, as it seems to work out pretty well without advance booking.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:04 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
As a 1K I have had my seat assigned at the 24 window for my flights within Europe by LH and have always received an aisle seat and usually ahead of the exit rows. I have been able to go into my booking at that time and change the seat if I desired to do so, but since the priority is aisle I leave it alone.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by steveman518
If you wanted a seamless experience you might as well ask for all the *A carriers to just become one carrier
Why on earth would I do that? Talk about a fallacious slippery slope argument.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Why on earth would I do that? Talk about a fallacious slippery slope argument.
Agree with this. Also, my earlier post was not meant as a complaint. Rather, I was honestly just asking for any tips on improving one's seat on LH as a UA elite passenger. Looks like the options are limited.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
When ticketing on 016 stock, can you still choose seat assignments for LH flights? Purchasing business class.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm Reason: moved to this thread
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked a FRA-KBP segment on 016 stock. Outbound is an L fare and V on the return. For the L fare I had to pay $15 for a seat selection. I was able to select the seat and LH charged my CC but I received an error online:

"Your flight selection was confirmed. However, the special requests could not be processed. Please contact the Service Center "

I called and the representative said everything looked fine and my paid seat selection was good to go. I was auto-assigned an isle seat on the return leg so I didn't try to change it.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by acswank
When ticketing on 016 stock, can you still choose seat assignments for LH flights? Purchasing business class.
Yes, you need to do it via LH's site. Use your LH record locator for one-time changes, or create a Miles and More account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.