Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's May 2014 Price Hike

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've seen this on SFO-HNL where they will frequently only sell the M fare for trips of less than three nights, while offering as low as an L for a stay of three nights or more.
The SFO to Hawaii pricing on UA is one of my biggest annoyances and probably the most consistent market where I purchase non-UA flights.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SF1K
The SFO to Hawaii pricing on UA is one of my biggest annoyances and probably the most consistent market where I purchase non-UA flights.
Ok May have to quote and correct myself. Looks like UA has loaded some cheap one ways and even reasonable F on the non stops. Currently only out to early August. If that sticks I may buy UA on these routes again.
Old May 10, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Definitely some high fares out there. Glad I got a combo W/V fare to Singapore in July all in for $1750 - and 22000 PQM's! Then I need a ticket to go to Montreal and it will cost $700 for 1,000 PQM's lol…airfares have always had a logic all their own
Old May 10, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, FPC Premier, HHonors Gold, BA Bronze
In my other thread, I mentioned UA price hiking a fare I was looking into. It went from a P BF fare to a Z BF fare - $3155 to $5555. I found on OTA and *A sites pricing the P-fare for the same flight. So I called united reservations and was quoted the P-fare. They seem to be doing this to their website only. If you can find other available fairs on OTA or *A sites, give UA a call or book on the *A sites as codeshares
Old May 10, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I've noticed that on some of the routes I'm looking at for the summer it's not just a matter of no availability in the cheaper buckets. PDX-xxx-CLE in early Aug is pricing out at $602 r/t in K fares. ~$260+tax each way seems pretty steep for a K fare. Of course this also does a great job defeating the multi-destination pricing, which might or might not be intentional.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
IAD and Other East Coast Hubs to NRT

I fly to NRT, in the exact same weeks, for trade shows 2-3 times per year and have been doing so for 22+ years.
The fares (W+) for the same weeks (in and out on the same days of the week) for 2014 are up 15-20% over 2013.

My flights to SNA on the same dates as last year are up around 25% from 2013 (cheapest fare available).

Last edited by zombietooth; May 21, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I fly to NRT, in the exact same weeks, for trade shows 2-3 times per year and have been doing so for 22+ years.
The fares (W+) for the same weeks (in and out on the same days of the week) for 2014 are up 15-20% over 2013.

My flights to SNA on the same dates as last year are up around 25% from 2013 (cheapest fare available).
The SFO-NRT W fares are very high right now, nearly $1900.

Interestingly, routed as an OJ SFO-HKG/NRT-SFO, it drops to $1440.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

You are lucky to get W fare.

I tried to get BOS-ORD-PVG-ORD-BOS W fare.

It doesn't exist: for 90%+ of days during 11 month period.

When all buckets showing 9's, UA is willing to offer S,T,L,K,V,Q, but not W.

The best I can find is V.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

What's the pricing for each half-r/t?

Originally Posted by kb1992
You are lucky to get W fare.

I tried to get BOS-ORD-PVG-ORD-BOS W fare.

It doesn't exist: for 90%+ of days during 11 month period.

When all buckets showing 9's, UA is willing to offer S,T,L,K,V,Q, but not W.

The best I can find is V.
It's all arbitrary - the fact that it was a V fare doesn't mean that you "paid more" than in the alternative thought-world where UA was offering a W fare.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What's the pricing for each half-r/t?
625.00 SFO-HKG (V)
509.50 NRT-SFO (W)

From the Saudia site. Any way to get this info from UA?
Old May 11, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by spin88
It has been discussed in a number of places, United said on the 4Q 2013 and the 1Q 2014 call that they had changed their RM approach and were going to "hold back" more seats for later sale, hoping to get a premium. They do this by selling less up front for discounted prices. So the decission in intentional.

This has been widely announced (see e.g. today's presentation at the B of A conference): http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....&p=irol-IRHome (under presentations tab).

As I have noted before Delta tried this strategy in 1Q 2013 and fell on their face, said they got "too aggressive" and it cut yields. Delta underperformed in 2Q 2013 (compared to what is has done the last few years) when the bad results of this strategy were felt.

I think its a real mistake, given United's reputation, to be doing this as I think they will end up with many unsold seats and no new HVF traffic will show up. Time will tell.

But it is informative that the first quarter where this stratagy was partially in play (1Q 2014) United got killed, and for 2Q they are only projecting PRASM of +1-3%, while DAL is saying they will hit PRASM of more like +6-7% in May/June.
It's also a marketing experiment. UA knows it failed miserably to bring back its former slogan while ignoring the serious decline of customer service and the onboard product, so perhaps they are wondering if customers will take pity on them by preparing for a new slogan "Nonstop UnprofitAable. Nonstop UnderAchiever."
Old May 11, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth

I fly IAD-SFO 4 times a year, and have done so every year for the past 10 years. I always purchase at least 30 days out, and I was always able to find sub $500 fares. Now? A W fare for $665 is the cheapest.

To be fair to UA, all of the airlines seem to be gouging this summer.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I can't speak to the other routes, but for NYC-LAS, it seems the price hike has been rolled back, at least for the march/April 2015 dates I've been searching

Before UA was quoting insanely high $400 one way. Now a much more reasonable $261 in T.

ps : I chose a $477 T-UP fare that books into P instead .... jeffy wins again

Last edited by 787fan; May 11, 2014 at 6:57 am
Old May 11, 2014, 8:09 am

United's May 2014 Price Hike

Good thread. Been watching a couple of trips for myself. Very fortunately fares are still reasonable:

Pulled the trigger for BUF-SEA late afternoon on Jun 27 two weeks ago, $233 T fare per person. No N, G, even if the flights aren't that full...ROC-SEA was awfully expensive($350 one-way W/V fare, lowest seen at $329 in UA). P is $550, which is very reasonable but with my SO traveling, we are shooting for the CPU.

Looking at SEA-ROC on Jun 28/29, ROC-SEA-MSP on July 11-13, awfully expensive!

LHR/FRA-LAX-
BA/AA/US: $1300-$2k
DL: $2k
UA: $4k @@"

NYC-HKG/SIN RT late Aug-Early Sept
So competitive that UA has to match all the Asian Carriers

HKG-SIN RT at all times
They even have to match JetStar's fare to fill up the 777...

Fares out of ROC/BUF have been pretty reasonable lately, except a couple of weekends that just didn't make sense at all. I will slow down a bit after mid July, so it helps to avoid ridiculous peak fares...

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 11, 2014 at 8:27 am
Old May 11, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by halls120
I fly IAD-SFO 4 times a year, and have done so every year for the past 10 years. I always purchase at least 30 days out, and I was always able to find sub $500 fares. Now? A W fare for $665 is the cheapest.

To be fair to UA, all of the airlines seem to be gouging this summer.
Yes, I should have noted that I always buy my tickets much more than 30 days out, since I always know at least 9 months prior when I will have to travel for the trade shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.