Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces Planned Denver - Panama City Service, Starting 3 December 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Announces Planned Denver - Panama City Service, Starting 3 December 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to mention that CM's 738-B has a far superior F cabin - barcaloungers with legrests and 55" pitch.
That makes sense if you're paying for F. I used to prefer the IAH-BOG flights until they removed CPUs and required GPUs for instrument upgrades, so now I'm trying to go through PTY. A possible upgrade to a lounge seat is still better than an impossible upgrade.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by raehl311
That makes sense if you're paying for F. I used to prefer the IAH-BOG flights until they removed CPUs and required GPUs for instrument upgrades, so now I'm trying to go through PTY. A possible upgrade to a lounge seat is still better than an impossible upgrade.
The problem is knowing in advance whether you'll get the new cabin. LAX-PTY gets the new one pretty consistently.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't think you read what I said.

I now book IAH-BOG for the lie-flat. I don't like to rely on CPU's (particuarly with CM, since they really only upgrade at T-24 and later). The UA P fares to latin america are basically comparable to CM's D fares, but much more widely available.

I also much prefer AV to CM for connections within Colombia.

I've logged many, many miles on CM. The service is inconsistent. I also had a horrible experience when they shut down their PTY hub for a long weekend due to systems failure. It took me six months and multiple emails to their CEO to get a refund of my refundable ticket.

These are all the reasons I personally now book away from CM.

But I don't disagree that for travel to PTY they are in many respects superior to UA.
I have all of one trip's worth experience on CM. I can easily imagine the onboard service to be inconsistent -- remember, my reference point was UA, which is the king of inconsistency. The service on the ground, at least during IRROPS, was horrible (almost non-existent). No argument there. They offered us 10K miles for our troubles (ok, not bad) but then I had to poke and prod for 3 months just to get them to follow through on what they proactively offered in the first place!
Old May 7, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by channa
Or they're doing it to relieve pressure on IAH.

A lot of people fly SFO-IAH-PTY, and there is no nonstop option out of SFO. This could relieve some of that. Maybe mitchmu could give it a try.

Other West Coast destinations could use this too (SEA, PDX, etc.).
I would never do UA to PTY. Those in the know book SFO-LAX-PTY on CM and heavily sedate myself for the hour I am on UA.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
when i saw this thread title i was expecting to learn about exciting new CR200 service to ECP. it's quite sad the standards that United has set for my expectations.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hobo13
Don't kid yourself.

Flew PTY-MVD-PTY in the fall. PTY-MVD delayed 3 hours because lighting struck the plane while it was parked at the gate.

On the return a few days later, torrential rains at PTY caused us to divert to a nearby airport. Sat on the 737 for 5 more hours on top of the 8 hour flight. 13 hours on a 737.

Yes, PTY has efficient connections when the sun is shining. But it's basically in a rainforest.

I'm not travelling with you. Ever. Been through PTY several dozen times on way to Santiago, several times w/ rain. PTY is one of the more reliable hubs weather-wise, in spite of your experiences, which I wouldn't extrapolate as being even near normal.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Been through PTY several dozen times on way to Santiago, several times w/ rain. PTY is one of the more reliable hubs weather-wise, in spite of your experiences, which I wouldn't extrapolate as being even near normal.
+1
I've been through PTY somewhere north of 25 times over the past five years and really don't ever recall a serious flight delay due to weather. They get torrential downpours but they tend to blow through quickly.

I don't like that airport at all (especially the COPA Club and the lack of decent food options), but it is highly functional and very convenient for tight connections.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
+1
I don't like that airport at all (especially the COPA Club and the lack of decent food options), but it is highly functional and very convenient for tight connections.
The Copa Club looked identical to a PC, er I mean UC. Oh, maybe that's the problem......

I actually have unpublished trip report from this mis(adventure). You guys are really making me think some folks might be entertained!
Old May 7, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Please, please, please.
+3 more Please...

Southwest for domestic and Gulf Carriers for 1 stop to most places in the world, I will be happy.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
The Copa Club looked identical to a PC, er I mean UC. Oh, maybe that's the problem......
The COPA Club basically is a PC. A very overcrowded PC with no amenities, inadequate air conditioning, and lots of really loud guests. It's been under construction for something like two years now (or at least still was last time I went through in late 2013).
Old May 7, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
+3 more Please...

Southwest for domestic and Gulf Carriers for 1 stop to most places in the world, I will be happy.
Conceptually good, unless you're traveling from the U.S. to the Caribbean, or South America, or Europe, or Asia.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Per CBSDenver they're quoting the DEN Mayor's spokesman as saying

"It's a place far away that will open us up 'to major market.' Find out at 10a".
Retrospect LOL

On a 737 double lol
Old May 7, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
No use to me. I wish they'd bring LHR and FRA back
Old May 8, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by sbm12
One-stop connections to much of Central and South America is access to many markets.
So how many actual (logical) one-stop connections are available from DEN through PTY that aren't already available via IAH? (Or, via another carrier through a different hub )

Of course, that depends on the schedule, which hasn't been announced. I assume a red-eye from DEN-PTY, returning flight leaving PTY around breakfast time?
Old May 8, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
So how many actual (logical) one-stop connections are available from DEN through PTY that aren't already available via IAH?
I count more than a dozen, pending flight time details. Among them, SCL, MDE, CLO, BSB, ASU, MAO and more.

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
(Or, via another carrier through a different hub )
UA probably cares a lot less about this aspect. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.