Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Push for CEO Ouster Finally Officially Started?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Push for CEO Ouster Finally Officially Started?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
UA is clinging to any excuse it can find, including "this winter was harder on us than it was on the other airlines." This company has a serious motivation problem and appears to look for ANY reason to cancel a flight. Poor leadership starts at the top.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly

Of further note, this is exactly why CEO's should not also be Chairman of the Board. .
Aka sound corporate governance

And the board shouldn't be CEO sycophants either
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Yawn. The same thing happened when Tilton was CEO. "Glenn's Gotta Go" wristbands for everyone!
I never supported that position. I mean, he should have cut his own pay but a lit of the other measures were pretty much must have

Key difference - he took care of the HVFs, kept changes to MP modest, and in fact upguaged outreach to the HVFS with GS.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nuspieds
I just read the following:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12689...os-ouster.html

It's the first time I'm seeing UA stakeholders publicly and officially requesting that he be replaced! All I could think of was...finally!

Have there been any other groups to go public like this?
I agree and I saw Bill Clinton being cozy to Jeff Smisek. I knew this would happen. United has excellent planes, pilots and some decent employees at times but the management has been absolutely horrible in providing real leadership.

United needs new leadership changes. Delta AND the new American Airlines and even JetBlue is undergoing changes right now and are all doing quite well. United is the oddball legacy carrier with the right routes but poor leadership and management. As a consumer I would use all the other carriers over United but United is a forced monopoly at airlines like Newark for instance.

Represents the USA system of capitalism and economics with the airlines. Abroad we see other issues and challenges. Norwegian Air Shuttle was an up and comer who would have shook up the industry but is having licensing issues and its plans for travel from USA to UK and USA to Ireland among others is now in jeopardy.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
[QUOTE
What did they expect a combination of RJ creep, delays/irrops, and TODs + opaque upgrade offers would do, I wonder? They aggressively courted a certain type of pax, while expecting to keep the others regardless of operational issues and quality of product.[/QUOTE]

Something I don't understand and it appears over and over in every article is that it always discusses merger integration as the main cause of the loss of HVFs. These articles never discuss that the airline has consciously made a decision to put HVFs revenue at risk by developing policies they knew would be unpopular with HVFs. They gambled and lost. No main stream article ever brings this up. I could forgive simple integration issues.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Screen-less IFE.
Or do you mean IFE-less mainline a/c?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:30 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

As always, if UA does not meet your needs in the ways that are important to you, and another airline does, switch!
I have and I must say, after 64 segments and 65K miles so far on AA this year, ALL MAINLINE, with a 98% upgrade ratio, I am so happy I did.

The only thing I miss is my family members inheriting my status on award tickets.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I've been (re) reading From Worst to First the last few days, and if you've never read it (or even if you have) I highly suggest it.

There are SO many points in the book where Gordon's counter example IS today's UA.

The book takes on an entirely new meaning in the post-merger Smisek era. I have no doubt that Smisek was a great attorney who did wonderful things when CAL needed him. But a leader, he is not. We should all send him copies of the book and implore him to actually read it this time.

The pizza's beyond too cheap, folks.
#BringBackGordo
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Originally Posted by KnightInWhiteSatin
Hmmm, UA made 1.1B last year and lost a little over 600M this last quarter and they are calling for Smisek's ouster. After one bad quarter. Thank god UA has a BOD and not pilots running the place.

UA has serious issues to remedy but they are correctable.

Actually 1.1 Billion AFTER special charges they ended up with a net income of 571 million. In this quarter alone that wiped out the entire profit.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
Actually 1.1 Billion AFTER special charges they ended up with a net income of 571 million. The loss in this quarter alone that wiped out the entire profit.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=nerdbirdsjc;22787483...Jeff and his team have been steadily working, behind the scenes, to ensure that planes get maintenance before they break in hangars located where the planes fly from...[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, one of the most immediate moves that management made (can't believe it was a line decision) was to ramp up the utilization of the planes, change routes from 737 to 320, and by implementing programs that couldn't handle the change, caused all sorts of problems for employees and customers.

If this is working behind the scenes, it's a shame they didn't do their homework first...shoot first, aim later and that seems to be SOP for $misek
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

United could be a fantastic airline and had been years ago despite market conditions that were challenging.
Management would be welcome that could set the right culture and make good business decisions that would encourage loyalty could turn the airline around.
I have never disliked the management before in United's history to this extent and admired many leaders that worked for the company even to some degree the less popular ones.
Today its a lost airline with executives that forget what it is like to be a paying customer
They have an enormous opportunity with less competing airlines and for the most part have blown it bigger than anything I could have ever imagined
I feel so sorry for the customers that fly the airline and the passionate men and women that are working for the Titanic of an airline
They/we all deserve better
My first suggestion an email for those who wish to customer relations that can easily be found on the website when solving problems of any kind
A place where comments/suggestions can be made an any issues solved.

I have no plans to ever buy a seat on them with the current climate in house
But sincerely wish United well and hope they can get the right folks in to salvage the awful business culture and bad decision making that currently exists
It was once my favorite carrier years ago. I'd really like to see them make a come back
Grateful for Alaska Airlines, American (for today) Virgin America and to some degree by default even Southwest
They making paying and flying a pleasure for the most part
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
Now there's the merger, in which the combined airline (on paper) ought to be a powerhouse, with the best hubs, route structure, mileage program, etc. And yet... they're running it into the ground.
I really had expected a powerhouse of airline post-merger. Even knowing back then that AA and US would eventually tie up, I still believed that the combined UA and CO would be the leader.

Fast-forward to today and we trail Delta, after all this post-merger time. How utterly disappointing.

True, the next CEO may be worse, but enough damage has been done by this devil I know such that I would vote in favor of a change and take that risk.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
United could be a fantastic airline and had been years ago despite market conditions that were challenging.
Management would be welcome that could set the right culture and make good business decisions that would encourage loyalty could turn the airline around.
I have never disliked the management before in United's history to this extent and admired many leaders that worked for the company even to some degree the less popular ones.
Today its a lost airline with executives that forget what it is like to be a paying customer
They have an enormous opportunity with less competing airlines and for the most part have blown it bigger than anything I could have ever imagined
I feel so sorry for the customers that fly the airline and the passionate men and women that are working for the Titanic of an airline
They/we all deserve better
My first suggestion an email for those who wish to customer relations that can easily be found on the website when solving problems of any kind
A place where comments/suggestions can be made an any issues solved.

I have no plans to ever buy a seat on them with the current climate in house
But sincerely wish United well and hope they can get the right folks in to salvage the awful business culture and bad decision making that currently exists
It was once my favorite carrier years ago. I'd really like to see them make a come back
Grateful for Alaska Airlines, American (for today) Virgin America and to some degree by default even Southwest
They making paying and flying a pleasure for the most part
Continental Airlines was run well. But the merger has caused a lot of issues and problems and brought down the airline. Virgin America doesn't even have a route network comparable to United and neither does Southwest. Though there is new growth at Dallas Love Field for instance.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by adamj023
Continental Airlines was run well. But the merger has caused a lot of issues and problems and brought down the airline. Virgin America doesn't even have a route network comparable to United and neither does Southwest. Though there is new growth at Dallas Love Field for instance.
Agreed
That's why I use a variety of carriers as listed.AA is my primary carrier
I am excited to fly in true first on their new Trans Con next week out of LA
There was a day back when that would only be on United if flying first
Know Continental was well run however I was never comfortable in their Business First and that's what UA has essentially become a weaker Continental.
Continental cared about customers and relationships. One could reach the right persons in the US and solve issues.
Don't trust United with a dollar let alone my work and leisure travel budget. They are crooks to me
I trust every carrier I do business with fully
Southwest is awesome for family and friends. Bags fly free and when I book with points no cancellation or change penalties whatsoever 100% refund
I rarely fly them as I seek lounges, upgrades and pre-boarding and did I say confirmed seat assignments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.