Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Push for CEO Ouster Finally Officially Started?

Old Apr 30, 14, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum

I just read the following:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12689...os-ouster.html

It's the first time I'm seeing UA stakeholders publicly and officially requesting that he be replaced! All I could think of was...finally!

Have there been any other groups to go public like this?
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Ouch, I'm not a huge flip-flop fan but I do usually bring a backpack…

While PRASM has declined at United, it has increased at Delta and United. "Delta and American get the suits, we get the flip-flops and backpacks," the letter said.
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Here in California, flip-flops and backpacks are a sign of unimaginable wealth. The "suits" (derogatory term) exist only to serve the flip-flops . . . .
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
While PRASM has declined at United, it has increased at Delta and United. "Delta and American get the suits, we get the flip-flops and backpacks," the letter said.
Apparently, they also don't get a copy editor.....
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
zinger! love it!
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Yeah, perhaps they could have worded that a bit differently bur their message is quite clear.
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
terrible employee morale and excessive outsourcing have combined with chronic operational and IT issues to drive away our elite frequent fliers in droves, driving our revenue and (passenger revenue per available seat mile) downward,

employee groups usually talk about their issues, but recognizing how smij has driven away HVF's really says something
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Apparently, they also don't get a copy editor.....
LOL!

On a more serious note, is there any chance of a change in CEO unless the nosedive continues for a couple of years, given that he's the chair of the board and, perhaps more important, has recruited lots of cronies/allies to it?
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Here in California, flip-flops and backpacks are a sign of unimaginable wealth. The "suits" (derogatory term) exist only to serve the flip-flops . . . .
But the suits are sure that they're smarter and they could totally do the flip-flops' jobs better than them, but they have a future here at the firm, and plus business is such dirty work, and what will people think if I fail, so....
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
LOL!

On a more serious note, is there any chance of a change in CEO unless the nosedive continues for a couple of years, given that he's the chair of the board and, perhaps more important, has recruited lots of cronies/allies to it?
Couple of years [more]?! Heaven forbid! He's already had a couple of years and it hasn't worked out.
Old Apr 30, 14, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What did they expect a combination of RJ creep, delays/irrops, and TODs + opaque upgrade offers would do, I wonder? They aggressively courted a certain type of pax, while expecting to keep the others regardless of operational issues and quality of product.
Old Apr 30, 14, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This owner of multiple pairs of flip-flops demands an apology from the pilot's association for the insult. For every good suit, there's 2 ill-fitting ones. I want the pilot spokesperson to know that the idiot in 1B switching out his sneakers for flip-flops (aka zoris) on the approach to Maui might earn more than all the suits he saw that day. No need to judge based on clothes. Heck, might as well write off the entire south SF Bay area.

I think most pilots are actually pretty pleasant people. Had a discussion with one yesterday about simulators. Even though 757s and 767s all fall under same type-rating, each version of a/c requires different simulator - eg different simulators for 757 w Pratt and Whitney engines and for Rolls Royce engines. He also wished the pilot integration would come a little faster, because he (from UA side) was going to miss the DEn-OGG route when CO 752 plane/crew takes over route.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 30, 14 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 30, 14, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Those are EWR pilots after all.

But I agree with their overall message. Hopefully they can get this snowball rolling and get other groups to speak up.
Old Apr 30, 14, 11:14 am

ALPA also asked for Tilton to resign...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/uni...os-resignation

Back during the 'glory days' of United.

I hear ex-CO pilots are uniquely sore because of the way seniority was handled, in fact they even sued their own union.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ity-list.html/

When Capital, Wellington, and Fidelity start privately calling for resignation then there's something to write about. They'll stay quiet unless the dividend looks unlikely.

Shareholder meeting is June 11.
Old Apr 30, 14, 11:15 am
RNE

Even the CotB with umpteen obsequious sycophants cannot long endure if the balance sheet gets bad enough. The big question is, How will United perform this year? We don't know the answer yet, but it's not looking good.

Personally, I couldn't care less how Jeff fares. I care about my flights arriving and departing on time and how well the MileagePlus program meets my needs. Those too are on shaky ground.

RNE, a change-fatigued traveler dreading any more upheavals at UA (even "good" ones).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: