Search

Gifts when flying the 787

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I wanted a memento of my trip.

If its making its rapid descent or its on the ground/h2o already are you really grabbing the card to see what you should do??

There's the exit. Go.
I actually read the card almost every flight after I board. It's like putting a seatbelt on. I'm not going to look for my seatbelt while my car is crashing. I want it on before.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
I actually read the card almost every flight after I board. It's like putting a seatbelt on. I'm not going to look for my seatbelt while my car is crashing. I want it on before.
In 1.8 million miles are you still not sure what to do?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I know there are different ways to open the emergency exits. I just want to make sure I know in advance which method goes with which exit - so I don't have to think about it during an emergency.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
I know there are different ways to open the emergency exits. I just want to make sure I know in advance which method goes with which exit - so I don't have to think about it during an emergency.
I sit in exit rows a lot. I, too, like to know whether it's the type one has to physically remove and toss out of the plane or the kind that flips up on a hinge. It only takes a couple of seconds.

I generally skip the parts about water landings ex PHX. :-:
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
5 Flights, No Gifts.

Just found this thread....interesting.

I was on the 787 from NRT-DEN in JUN '13, I don't remember the exact date but the crew had just gotten their new uniforms. I didn't receive anything, but there were TV crews waiting for us when we landed and greeters in cowboy uniforms, and sickeningly repetitive John Denver music. I found out, while waiting a customs, that there were a bunch of Japanese celebrities onboard.

Have flown the 787 from Asia three times since and never got a gift. I also flew it once from DEN-NRT with the same result.

As a point of comparison, my wife just flew from ICN-LAX in OZ F and received the weirdest gift:

Ten brand new, crispy one dollar bills in a thank you card/envelope.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
As a point of comparison, my wife just flew from ICN-LAX in OZ F and received the weirdest gift:

Ten brand new, crispy one dollar bills in a thank you card/envelope.
I believe that is to be used for tips and things that the PAX may encounter on their first encounters into the new country (bellhop, car service etc) since most currency exchange places don't do small bills.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I believe that is to be used for tips and things that the PAX may encounter on their first encounters into the new country (bellhop, car service etc) since most currency exchange places don't do small bills.
Ah ha! That makes perfect sense.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:42 am

If you know what you're looking for, those safety cards often have errors all over them, especially for the airbuses. I'll let the mechanics complain about the airbuses. The most common error that I see is that the graphics for door operation are most commonly for the port side of the aircraft. Egress operation on starboard is often, approximately mirror-image. My biggest temptation is to bring a sharpie and entertain myself through the flight adding corrections to the safety card.

For the international flights, I like evicting everything out of my seat pocket (in coach) into the overhead or somewhere else except the safety card. I have enough of my own gadgets, etc to fill that pocket to have other clutter in there.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
There's always the safety cards.

The second UA 787 flight (domestic) took a delay because so many people took the safety cards on the inbound, and they had to locate more.
Someday those cards will end up at an airline memorabilia show for $5 a piece next to inflight silverware.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Limes

Not on a 787, but years ago when I walked into the galley and asked a flight attendant if I could have a lime, she said, "anything I have that you want, you can have."
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:29 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Last year 3 flights LAX>NRT in BFirst. I now have 3 decks and 3 passport wallets.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, many others
Just flew last Saturday from LAX to NRT and received both the deck of cards and the passport wallet. Also flew from US to NRT and back in March and received the same gifts. (Can't remember if it was on the flight to NRT or the return. I have a couple of other deck of cards I picked up on other flights to NRT within the last 12 months.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Last year 3 flights LAX>NRT in BFirst. I now have 3 decks and 3 passport wallets.
I wonder what I am doing wrong? I am 0 for 5.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
I got one on LAX-PVG early this year, but not on domestic ones.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 pm

i've been flying IAH-DEN-NRT a lot over the last few months and can confirm based on my experiences that you only get the Passport Holder, Deck of Cards, and now the UA friendly tin (in lieu of the standard BF amenity kit) on the Dreamliner flight leaving DEN to NRT. These items are not offered from NRT to DEN. I have a lot of them now as a result. Love the Dreamliner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.