Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

F/A Spilled Hot (Tea) Water on me during flight - How to handle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F/A Spilled Hot (Tea) Water on me during flight - How to handle?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
.......we're now "flamers"......Yes, we're all flamers.
......a flame" will give ya a "blister" sometimes!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yawn....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aacharya
I find it funny that OP asked for advice, and instead of taking it, we're now
"flamers". That word, and clearly no pun intended by the OP, shows he didn't
really want our advice if it was negative.

I see an FT evangelist, a 9K poster, a 6K poster, and a 2K poster/2MM all responding
the same way. Yes, we're all flamers.
Thanks for rounding up my post count! In addition to being a 5.8712K poster, just today I was ranting about the importance of being nice to new posters! So I think I'm pretty legit when I say: this thread is silly.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Thanks for rounding up my post count! In addition to being a 5.8712K poster, just today I was ranting about the importance of being nice to new posters! So I think I'm pretty legit when I say: this thread is silly.
I'm all about being nice to new posters who accept that they are new and accept (not necessarily heed) the advice given. The anonymous nature of the forum combined with the "google effect" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_Goog...ects_cognition) makes many new posters unbearably brash know-it-alls. That's why I won't dare post on forums like "trick it" - I don't know enough on the topic, and I haven't bothered to read it all. Hence I don't deserve to ask a question there.

True new posters who follow the FT rules and advice - no issues. But we go off topic, as the OP's been here longer than all of us (making his brusqueness all the more surprising).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Actually the evangelist post from cfischer was not negative in nature and appears to be the most practical as well as the one above from the other evangelist which gives an interesting perspective. I will call customer service and tell them the facts and see what they say. I had asked for advice, not personal attacks, etc. A person's quantity of posts is not equal to the quality of posts. I have been on this board since 2002 and know to expect personal attacks no matter what the topic or question. That is why I rarely post. It isn't worth the personal attacks rather than constructive feedback which was received from the evangelists. That being said, I probably should have just sent them a private message to see what they thought.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Actually the evangelist post from cfischer was not negative in nature and appears to be the most practical as well as the one above from the other evangelist which gives an interesting perspective. I will call customer service and tell them the facts and see what they say. I had asked for advice, not personal attacks, etc. A person's quantity of posts is not equal to the quality of posts. I have been on this board since 2002 and know to expect personal attacks no matter what the topic or question. That is why I rarely post. It isn't worth the personal attacks rather than constructive feedback which was received from the evangelists. That being said, I probably should have just sent them a private message to see what they thought.
I don't think anyone has personally attacked you.

Can you explain about the blister situation? I'm genuinely curious...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
The main reason that posters are ragging on you is because you are making a bfd out of a few drops of hot water. Seeking support and asking, "Does anyone else have a similar experience? How did you handle it? What would be the appropriate response to expect and/or ask for from UA, if any? You've been around since 2002 and you know exactly what you are doing, so GO-4-IT! No real need to grade the responders to your OP!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:42 pm
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
No personal attack intended from me, but I think the adage "you get what you give" applies here.

The last time an FA spilled something on my arm, I smiled and said "that's OK. Accidents happen. Don't worry about it." After that the FA apologized profusely and plied me with free drinks for the rest of the flight.

If I had been confrontational and started taking names, it would have happened differently, I think.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Looks are much, much more important in LA. Let's be sensitive to different cultures please.

Quick application of a lime to the affected area will ameliorate blistering.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Apr 18, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LilAbner
This is gonna cost UA BIG TIME!

Hope you kept count of how many drops hit your arm, as recent cases have been settled for about a mil a drop!

F/A's with bad attitudes, who don't provide their names when it was requested, usually doubles the settlement!

"Oh, we're movin' on up to the east-side.....finally got a pieeeeece of the pie!"
LOL. Love the sarcasm.
The reality is that on a domestic ticket UA has almost zero liability in this situation. International tickets are ruled by different laws and could have some financial remuneration/settlement offer, but the OP would be hard pressed to find an aviation attorney to take such a domestic ticket case on contingency (to which OP has noted they don't intend to). Further, the settlement amount for such a minor injury on an international ticket would hardly amount to any real estate purchase, let alone getting friendly with George Jefferson.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

I was polite the entire time and never confrontational. My interest in getting a name was in the event that I did need to seek medical attention and had any out of pocket costs, I would have some sort of proof it happened on the flight. (As for my concern about possible blistering, my brother once had a hot chocolate spilled on him and it blistered and he had to go to the ER to get treatment to prevent an infection.) The passenger next to me gave me his business card and said that he did not think it was handled properly and he would be happy to verify it if asked from corporate. I have written quite a few letters to compliment F/A's in the past and had been offered bottles of wine, etc., but never accepted them since in my mind it was not intended to be a quid pro quo. In this case, my gut feeling is that it was not handled properly and could have ended with a simple apology.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LaserSailor

That is really quite funny considering that there are no limes available on UA due to the current shortage worldwide.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
My wine almost came out my nose....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
How's your arm?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is why hospitals make big money. Is this the first time coffee has dripped on you? They seeked medical attention, paperwork was done for this. I'm sure you will be fine.

It's a minor accident, it was documented, especially since the EMT arrived. This really can't be the first time coffee or hot tea has slowly dripped on you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.