Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1585 lightning strike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
UA 1585 lightning strike

On Sunday evening I was seated in 10F of this B739 on a UA flight from IAH to ORD. We were about twenty minutes out of ORD when I heard a loud bang and saw a flash of fire outside the window. And then it was over. No comment or mention from the crew. Lots of nervous chatter from us chickens. We continued through the pea soup into ORD where it was raining. Except for the bolt from the blue the flight was unremarkable.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
I've had two lightning strikes on planes, and neither has elicited a reaction from the crew. I know that they really aren't anything to worry about, but it is quite un-nerving!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've had one lightning strike during climb out of NRT.

The flight deck crew did comment on it a minute or two after it happened to point out that it was not unusual, that nothing was wrong with the plane, and that we were going to continue on our way to SFO.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Lightning does strike twice, if you fly enough

I've had two lightning strikes in my 35 years if flying.

First time, the cabin lights went out and there was a lot of screaming. We were descending to EWR in one of those late summer thunderstorms. Plane (CO 727) diverted to PHL.

Second time was 25 years later on climbout from LHR (AC 777). We circled for 10 minutes while they ran some checklists and then continued on to YVR normally.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by transportprof
Second time was 25 years later on climbout from LHR (AC 777). We circled for 10 minutes while they ran some checklists and then continued on to YVR normally.
Similar to my only one, on a CO 757 on a late-night climbout from SEA through the remnants of storm cells. The BANG sure got my attention, especially as I was nodding off to sleep at the time; I thought an engine had exploded. The cockpit crew was on the PA within a minute or so to confirm we'd be struck by lightning; we circled for 10 minutes while they talked to dispatch, then flew on to EWR with no further incident.

I think I've read that this happens once a day, on average, to a commercial flight in the US.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have read somewhere that every plane in US commercial use is struck on average at least once a year. Sometimes, the plane itself can cause the lightning to occur when flying through a heavily charged region of a cloud.

Aircraft are designed for lightning strikes. Since the body is usually a one complete long piece, the electricity from a lightning strike usually just travels along the outer body and hardly ever enters the aircraft. Most components including electricals are heavily shielded as well as the fuel tanks protected against potential sparks.

The last aircraft crash attributed to lightning was in 1967 when a fuel tank exploded. Since then, technology and research has advanced so much, its more of a spectacle nowadays than something to worry about.

It is pretty nice though when the crew can announce that all is well and nice knowing that the aircrafts usually circle and do checks before continuing onwards. Learn something new each day on FT
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trini19
Aircraft are designed for lightning strikes. Since the body is usually a one complete long piece, the electricity from a lightning strike usually just travels along the outer body and hardly ever enters the aircraft.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-when-lightni/
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yup, thats an old artcile but I have read it once before when I had this same question about lightning strikes on aircraft and remembered most of the info which is what I used in my post.

As quoted in the article......."Most aircraft skins consist primarily of aluminum, which conducts electricity very well. By making sure that no gaps exist in this conductive path, the engineer can assure that most of the lightning current will remain on the exterior of the aircraft. "
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I wonder how it works with composites instead of aluminum on the skin of an airplane?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Orion
I wonder how it works with composites instead of aluminum on the skin of an airplane?
Composite fuselages have a conductive wire mesh embedded in them (think like steel rebar in concrete) to act as a Faraday cage.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments

Thank you, seenitall, for the information about composites. I will fly more confidently now.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:51 am

I've been struck by lighting several times in a few different aircraft types. It's really a non-event. I've never diverted for one or sustained anything other than very minor structural damage. There is no specific lightning strike emergency checklist (on my current or previous fleet). That may differ depending on fleet however.

Unless the strike creates an abnormal, there's no reason not to continue unless something manifests as a result. We do report lightning strikes to MX upon arrival and they do perform an inspection but generally, there's very little to fear from them.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Well said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.