Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow! UA being nice on this entire trip!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Voluntary Flight Change - Upgrade Chances? (Clarified)

Got an email from UA regarding changing my flight tomorrow from SFO-HNL

Original flight was 777 2 class and now it's a 777 3 class - UA300

Offer was moving to later flight 767-400ER and $200 e-cert - UA73

I'm on an S fare.

By changing to the later flight, do my upgrade chances stay the same based on my original ticketing fare? I have not been upgraded in my CPU window.

I think I have a better chance on the original flight as many more seats are available, but the later flight only has 5 seats left in BF. I have not checked into my original flight yet as its not at t-24 mark.

Thanks!

Last edited by 4BandE; Apr 8, 2014 at 11:22 am Reason: Clarifying original post
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by 4BandE
Got an email from UA regarding changing my flight tomorrow.

Original flight was 777 2 class and now it's a 777 3 class.

Offer was moving to later flight 767-400ER and $200.

I'm on an S fare.

By changing to the later flight, do my upgrade changes stay the same based on my original ticketing fare?

I think I have a better chance on the original flight as many more seats are available, but the later flight only has 5 seats left in BF.

Thanks!
I'm assuming this is international. What route? How did you sponsor the upgrade? Miles+copay? Well, I guess it must be, since W fare or higher is required for GPU.

This is dependent on so many factors that are not indicated so it is difficult/impossible to even offer some perspective. It is difficult to predict even with the details to be honest.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Have you checked in, yet? How many people are on each waitlist now? What is the route? The $200 is probably a domestic change fee, so I imagine fare class will be same. I'd only pay $200 if my shot at upgrade is hugely improved. Based on limited info you've given, it isn't.

edit - mis-read post. Thought OP was considering making a voluntary change. my bad.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 8, 2014 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Am I reading correctly that UA is offering you $200 to accept the change? Would you please supply the origin, destination and the two flight #'s and perhaps folks here can give you solid advice.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Often1
Am I reading correctly that UA is offering you $200 to accept the change? Would you please supply the origin, destination and the two flight #'s and perhaps folks here can give you solid advice.
seems like this is the case, we really need more info as you say. 777 3 class would have fewer Y seats than 777 2 class, so they are looking for volunteers to re-route voluntarily so they dont have to do at the gate VDBs.

if the OP doesn't have a great chance of the UP on either flight, obviously he should take the funny money. without more info, we can't know.

i bet R is open on both flights if they are tomorrow, so maybe OP can have his cake and eat it too.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Sorry everyone! Clarified the original post.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BF has one seat on 1st 777 of day. BF is booked full on 2nd 777 flight. 5 seats left on 764. Take the $ and be prepared to sit in back anyway. On the other hand, is $200 really worth the loss of time in Hawaii????
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
BF is booked full on 1st flight. 5 seats left on 2nd. Take the $ and be prepared to sit in back anyway.
But is the original flight just booked full because of the plane change? When looking at the seat map, there are plenty of seats available to choose in BF and Econ. When I check a couple of days ago, the plane was not full in either class.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But is the original flight just booked full because of the plane change? When looking at the seat map, there are plenty of seats available to choose in BF and Econ. When I check a couple of days ago, the plane was not full in either class.
Not sure. UA does upgrade people in the last six days before a flight - and out of SF there a LOT of elites. And don't use seat maps as indicator of availability. IMHO, your chance of upgrade is virtually nil, zero, nada on 777 flights. You best chance is on the 764 flight but that gets you into HNL at 6:40pm, almost 5 hours later than the 2nd 777 flight. Is the $200 and marginal chance of upgrade on 764 flight that gets you to Hawaii 5 hours later worth it? That's only a question you can answer.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 8, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up It all worked out!

Thanks for the replies.

Took the $200 and the next flight (not needing to get in 5 hours early) AND was confirmed for BF!!!!

I guess PV_Premier was right!

My fare class on my reservation now shows as "PN".
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I had several of these email bump inquiries in the month of March and took advantage of them all, except the $200 offer because it wasn't worth it to me for that amount.

I was told that the dollar amount offered is based on how much they are oversold. If they are slightly oversold they offer $200. When the number of the oversold seats goes up, the dollar amount does as well. During March, I was offered $350, $300, and $200 departing HNL, for multiple trips, all in advance, and without going to the airport. I did quite well for VDBs in March.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My fare class on my reservation now shows as "PN".
That's just strange. You scored the equivalent of a GS upgrade and jumped the queue.

The 764's out of SFO are typically a difficult upgrade. The early morning return is easier.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's just strange. You scored the equivalent of a GS upgrade and jumped the queue.
Maybe rebooked into Y? If this is SFO-HNL, should count as domestic (even tho 3-cabin and BF), so Y-up -> PN, yes?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kon104
Maybe rebooked into Y? If this is SFO-HNL, should count as domestic (even tho 3-cabin and BF), so Y-up -> PN, yes?
Yes good call. Rebooked into Y, jumped the CPU and instrument queue. Otherwise there would have been no chance for the upgrade on that flight.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes good call. Rebooked into Y, jumped the CPU and instrument queue. Otherwise there would have been no chance for the upgrade on that flight.
Win-win! Well, for OP at least

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.