Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with UA? Of the 4 largest USA carries UA is dead last.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

SEE CHART:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=1y&s...uv%2C+aal&ql=1

We forecast United will be the only mainline carrier to report 1Q14 revenue to decline y/y. We forecast 1Q14 total revenues to decline 0.2%. Clearly we are disappointed with seeing declining revenue, when the rest of the airlines are seeing 1Q revenue growth of ~5%. United’s PRASM outlook for 2Q14 will be very important as investors may choose to give up on the story as their PRASM growth underperforms the industry.
SOURCE: http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowat...rrons&ru=yahoo

Whats the problem at UA?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by kettle1
Whats the problem at UA?
Among other things, UA chose to try and rip off it's best customers in return for a quick buck. I can name over 100 people I know directly that no longer fly them unless have no choice. My flying is down over 60% on them. This is just the folks I know directly. Most corporate clients I know refuse to fly them, and the financial statistics show we are not alone.

I have no problem with devaluing mileage plus miles. It was a change that was coming, and I see it no differently than raising prices

I do have a HUGE problem with the overuse of Express Jets for their lack of comfort, amenities and huge cancelation rates. If UA is going to fly them where mainline should be flown, then don't cancel them all the time (30,000+ this year so far)

I do have a HUGE problem with selling out upgrades under elites on the list. The other carriers don't do this. This nests UA a few dollars today, and has cost them unlimited funds from those of us who no longer fly them.

No one trusts them, every choice is met with extreme skepticism. They disrespect their customers, and in return have lost an alarming amount of their best ones.

Despite choosing to chase the cheap money, there is a hole in the bucket, and they are losing customers faster than they can rip off the existing ones.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do we really need this thread? There are already at least two currently running on exactly the same subject.

ual-1q-2014-results

2014-airline-quality-ratings-release-ua-again-dead-last-among-majors

This is just getting really really old.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Among other things, UA chose to try and rip off it's best customers in return for a quick buck. I can name over 100 people I know directly that no longer fly them unless have no choice. My flying is down over 60% on them. This is just the folks I know directly. Most corporate clients I know refuse to fly them, and the financial statistics show we are not alone.

I have no problem with devaluing mileage plus miles. It was a change that was coming, and I see it no differently than raising prices

I do have a HUGE problem with the overuse of Express Jets for their lack of comfort, amenities and huge cancelation rates. If UA is going to fly them where mainline should be flown, then don't cancel them all the time (30,000+ this year so far)

I do have a HUGE problem with selling out upgrades under elites on the list. The other carriers don't do this. This nests UA a few dollars today, and has cost them unlimited funds from those of us who no longer fly them.

No one trusts them, every choice is met with extreme skepticism. They disrespect their customers, and in return have lost an alarming amount of their best ones.

Despite choosing to chase the cheap money, there is a hole in the bucket, and they are losing customers faster than they can rip off the existing ones.
I could not have said it better .
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Do we really need this thread? There are already at least two currently running on exactly the same subject.

ual-1q-2014-results

2014-airline-quality-ratings-release-ua-again-dead-last-among-majors

This is just getting really really old.
Do we really need another thread telling us that criticizing UA is getting old? If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Do we really need another thread telling us that criticizing UA is getting old? If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
Kacee didn't start a thread, just posted in it. I agree that these posts, which have relevance, should be added to the existing threads so we can all keep up on the discussion in one place. Simply more efficient.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
UA seems to make it policy now to shortchange their elites at every chance they get. From selling upgrades out from under you, nickle and diming everything...UA is missing the forest to see the trees. They'd rather make $100 today on selling an upgrade over keeping a HVF that will net them $10k+ yearly. Truly shortsighted
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec

I actually think this is spot on and well said. More than anything the extreme reliance on RJ's is the single biggest issue. Neither Casuals nor Elites want to fly on them, and those who know better simply don't anymore. They are uncomfortable, generally in poor condition, lack a premium product, and are cancelled or delayed more often than not. We need a commitment to mainline jets, else this will only get worse.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1

Whats the problem at UA?
CO took over.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by arctikjon
I actually think this is spot on and well said. More than anything the extreme reliance on RJ's is the single biggest issue. Neither Casuals nor Elites want to fly on them, and those who know better simply don't anymore. They are uncomfortable, generally in poor condition, lack a premium product, and are cancelled or delayed more often than not. We need a commitment to mainline jets, else this will only get worse.
as mentioned in the other thread yesterday, i don't think regionals have to be uncomfortable, cramped, in poor condition, lacking a premium product, and subject to excessive cxl/delay rates. DL does regional correctly, and i actually neither dread nor mind flying DL regional jets. DL deploys them properly and cares about the product image.

UA, on the other hand, i avoid like the plague (with the exception of E170s and, on flights <800nm, the CR7s).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
as mentioned in the other thread yesterday, i don't think regionals have to be uncomfortable, cramped, in poor condition, lacking a premium product, and subject to excessive cxl/delay rates. DL does regional correctly, and i actually neither dread nor mind flying DL regional jets. DL deploys them properly and cares about the product image.
Agreed. And while AA is just now getting the better E75s, I have found their 9-F CR7s to be a very solid experience, especially with (wait for it) real meals!!!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The meta-narrative on United is now firmly established and runs through untold threads on this board. What's wrong with UA? Easy. Nutshell:

• Adversarial attitude to customers
  • Disinterest in operational excellence
  • Layoffs and outsourcing further degrade reliability / customer experience
  • Employee / labor factors out of control
  • Cutting services and amenities while others add
  • Indifferent to customer loyalty factors
  • Steadfast refusal to improve irrops recovery
  • Nonexistent or implausible brand marketing ("XXX-friendly")
  • Making the UA-brand "network" more and more dependent on erratic, understaffed, unreliable affiliate regionals
  • Regularly missing performance targets and blaming all kinds of external culprits

This particular "savvy management's" era is going to be remembered at UAL the way the Cerberus Capital guys are remembered at Chrysler. People thought Steve Feinberg was pretty savvy too, back in 2007. Chrysler almost collapsed and got taken over by Fiat -- which suggests that in the long run United could become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alitalia.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
  • Disinterest in operational excellence
  • Steadfast refusal to improve irrops recovery
I think that these two are the primary issues. Corporate and high-value fliers are flying due to a need. They need to be there by the desired date and time.

For a time, the carrier we flew was able to do that. Remember the #1 on time rating? Remember the "BusinessOne" performance guarantees? Yes the "BusinessOne" thing was hokey, but at least it showed that they were aware of the needs.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
In the long run United could become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alitalia.
Thanks for the laugh!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Among other things, UA chose to try and rip off it's best customers in return for a quick buck.

I do have a HUGE problem with selling out upgrades under elites on the list.
That's it right there for me - they don't give a damn about a million miler who does 120,000 miles a year with them and is over 1/2 way to the new $10,000 requirement to maintain status. 15 segments this year and 2 CPUs.

Why do I stay? Hub to hub although the prices on those flights are increasing rapidly. It's almost like they want me to connect through Houston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.