Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Terminal C is really the gem terminal at EWR. They've got a central TSA checkpoint which has actual pre-check, and runs super fast. If OP is flying out on UA from Terminal A then clearing security at Terminal C then taking the shuttle bus back to terminal A makes a lot of sense.
You're talking in absolutes, and probably shouldn't when it comes to EWR. Terminal C can be horrendous - for UC's, for restrooms, and even the TSA Pre-Check line frequently snakes all the way past the AirTrain entrance and can be slowed down further by confused travelers being turned away from Pre-Check.

In addition, unlike Terminals A or B, there is an actual TSA pre-check line with proper pre-check service. Terminal C also offers a dedicated lane for Premier Access (read *A Gold) so even if OP doesn't have TSA pre-check they'll be able to get in the faster line. Finally, Terminal A is an absolute mess. There may be fewer people pax at the Terminal A gates but it doesn't really matter if there's only 1, perhaps only 2 TSA lanes open to screen everyone.
Again, you just can't generalize like that. As noted by some responses above, Terminal A *sometimes* has a dedicated lane for Pre-Check (maybe you meant to add 'always' above, but didn't?). If your flight is from Terminal A, you have Pre-Check, and it's open, it's actually a breeze to get through security - and to the best UC in the airport. I would never recommend going back to Terminal C for travelers in that scenario - that's my point. As someone noted above, if there was some indicator that Pre-Check was open, that would be helpful...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Possible to speak about LH lounge and access?? Just came to read this thread, the last few pages really don’t mention that much about the lounge just ancillary topics
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Possible to speak about LH lounge and access?? Just came to read this thread, the last few pages really don’t mention that much about the lounge just ancillary topics
Access would be for those who have *A Gold (i.e. UA Gold) or are flying in J/F. Note : Your departing flight must be on a *A carrier (doesn't matter if its domestic or international).

Lifted from one of my lounge reports a week ago:

Lufthansa Business Lounge @ EWR (Terminal B)
After visiting the AC lounge, I exited terminal A and took the SkyTrain to Terminal B to visit the lounges there (I had a 7 hour layover at EWR). I heard that Terminal B TSA was a zoo but didn't realize how bad it actually was until I saw it there first hand. The TSA line stretched all the way to the sign that points to where Gates B60-B69 were when I was there. I ignored the line and kept walking towards the hall leading into security which was an absolute circus filled with passengers. I kept walking until I could find the sign which read Business/First class passengers. Since I was flying Y as UA Gold, I qualified for this benefit. Overall, security took 30 minutes to clear using this approach. It's important to note that neither Terminal A nor B offer TSA pre-check but rather pre-check light, where you are handed a paper which you give to the agent who is about to screen you that says you can leave your shoes on. While I was in the line, I spoke to other frequent travellers who questioned why I would even bother going through the hassle of clearing security once again, especially since both lounges tend to be crowded with people. I reminded them of the prospect that awaits me in Terminal C (i.e. the UC), they then understood!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the LH lounge which was split up into a section for your run of the mill J pax, and another section for First/*Gold and Hon Circle members. The Dragon didn't mind me going back and forth between the two sections to enjoy the various food and booze offerings on both sides. Sadly, this lounge did not offer showers but did have a restroom on the Business Lounge side. I was quite impressed by the food on offer, in particular the selection of sandwiches, pasta and other hot entrees. LH seems to be one of the few lounge operators that has avoided the Compass/Sodexo oligopoly on lounge food service with their caterer being Flik. The lounge also featured a self pour bar with a selection of wines, spirits and beers (some of which were German!) Seating was a bit of a concern, I was visiting the lounge during a period of time when many European departures were taking place. However, I managed to snag an empty seat and enjoy my food. The lounge didn't have a proper business centre but it did have a laser printer for printing out documents which was nice and had some seating which allowed me to get some work done. Overall, I'd give this lounge a 7 out of 10.

One interesting thing LH has done at this lounge was reserve seating for their First and HON Circle members. I wish this was something more airlines would do for their loyal customers.

Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wiki

Did I read the wiki correctly that you can actually take the shuttle from terminal C to terminal B and get dropped off by the Lufthansa lounge?From wiki:Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

If so can you do the return in the same way?I have a long layover at EWR tomorrow and I thought I would give it a go
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Did I read the wiki correctly that you can actually take the shuttle from terminal C to terminal B and get dropped off by the Lufthansa lounge?From wiki:Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

If so can you do the return in the same way?I have a long layover at EWR tomorrow and I thought I would give it a go
You can go from C to B, but not the other way around.

United has no operations at Terminal B other than international arrivals. The wiki is outdated.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You can go from C to B, but not the other way around.

United has no operations at Terminal B other than international arrivals. The wiki is outdated.

You can go from C to B, if you have another star gold carrier ticket leaving from B @ EWR If not, you are unable to take the bus if you have a United ticket leaving from terminal C, You have to take the air train to B then clear security there and backtrack to C via the air train ( Personal experience today)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
You can go from C to B, if you have another star gold carrier ticket leaving from B @ EWR If not, you are unable to take the bus if you have a United ticket leaving from terminal C
Which is why I tell the C gatekeepers "yes, I'm going to the United Club at terminal A", they allow me through, I go down the escalators, get in the shuttle, and (if I'm in the mood for the whole "re-enter security" nonsense) I tell the driver "terminal B". They drop me off without any issue. Then I can go enjoy the LH Senator Lounge or SAS Lounge (as I should be able to as a *G member), depending on which lounge is more spacious, but I usually stick to LH though because the food/beverage is worth the potential crowds ^ (and in that case, I usually just stand at the bench next to the soda machine and chill until a seat opens up).

But when not willing to deal with re-entering and such, I rather go enjoy the UC at terminal A which is much better than the one in terminal C. And I've actually been quite happy visiting the pop-up UC's at C93 & C124 since they are much quieter compared the hornets nest that is C74
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MrGood
Which is why I tell the C gatekeepers "yes, I'm going to the United Club at terminal A", they allow me through, I go down the escalators, get in the shuttle, and (if I'm in the mood for the whole "re-enter security" nonsense) I tell the driver "terminal B". They drop me off without any issue.
Interesting trick, will have to do that the next time I have a (hopefully) long layover in EWR this June! It'll be priceless to see the look on the Dragon's face when I come back a second time to take the shuttle to terminal A . I'll just play dumb and say, "the bus driver dropped me off at the wrong terminal!"

Then I can go enjoy the LH Senator Lounge or SAS Lounge (as I should be able to as a *G member), depending on which lounge is more spacious, but I usually stick to LH though because the food/beverage is worth the potential crowds ^ (and in that case, I usually just stand at the bench next to the soda machine and chill until a seat opens up).
Agree with you here. Those two lounges are the real gem at EWR. Not only is the food and amenities markedly better than the UC but access is available to all *Golds even those travelling domestically on UA as a UA Gold.

But when not willing to deal with re-entering and such, I rather go enjoy the UC at terminal A which is much better than the one in terminal C. And I've actually been quite happy visiting the pop-up UC's at C93 & C124 since they are much quieter compared the hornets nest that is C74
Having been to the EWR and ORD UCs recently I was left somewhat disappointed. Not only did they not have Dom let alone Krug at the lounge but they insisted on charging for booze other than a Coors! Meanwhile, the last time I was at the UC at LHR no problems with the Champers, IIRC there was a decent Krug ('12 maybe?) available if you asked the Maitre d'salon politely. That being said, Stateside it appears that the *A lounge at LAX is your best bet for booze if you're UA Gold.

-James
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having been to the EWR and ORD UCs recently I was left somewhat disappointed. Not only did they not have Dom let alone Krug at the lounge but they insisted on charging for booze other than a Coors! Meanwhile, the last time I was at the UC at LHR no problems with the Champers, IIRC there was a decent Krug ('12 maybe?) available if you asked the Maitre d'salon politely. That being said, Stateside it appears that the *A lounge at LAX is your best bet for booze if you're UA Gold.
As far as bubblies go *Gold at LAX TBIT a couple of weeks ago featured a California Chandon and a Prosecco in the business class section.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Just did this today. Felt foolish having to clear security 3 different times in Terminal B before finding the correct one. Note for others, make sure you go to the one with gate 60 on the side closest to Terminal C.

Security line at B is probably the worst part. Even with expedited screening thanks to pre, took me 30 minutes to get through the line. They did allow me to use the "priority" line after showing them a United boarding pass with "premier access" which was a huge timesaver. Might be worth a try to clear normal pre in C and make your way over to B.

Food was good/excellent and the salmon along with asparagus and mushrooms was really nice. They had a curry chicken which was extremely dry so I only grabbed a small piece. Dessert was a little lacking IMO.

Backtracking to C was actually extremely quick. From Senator lounge to UC took about 20 minutes with pre check. Mileage may vary, this was on a Sunday night.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Can *G flying UA only use the LH lounge flying international or can I go over while flying UA domestic?
Old May 6, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by salisboss
Can *G flying UA only use the LH lounge flying international or can I go over while flying UA domestic?
You can enter on a domestic flight
Flying Machine and salisboss like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Sweet thanks.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Which is why I tell the C gatekeepers "yes, I'm going to the United Club at terminal A", they allow me through, I go down the escalators, get in the shuttle, and (if I'm in the mood for the whole "re-enter security" nonsense) I tell the driver "terminal B". They drop me off without any issue. Then I can go enjoy the LH Senator Lounge or SAS Lounge (as I should be able to as a *G member), depending on which lounge is more spacious, but I usually stick to LH though because the food/beverage is worth the potential crowds ^ (and in that case, I usually just stand at the bench next to the soda machine and chill until a seat opens up).
I have done this many times while flying United domestic and connecting in EWR. Regarding the re-entry to United A/C terminals - note that C precheck closes sometime between 8 and 830pm. There is a posted time on the tsa website but that is not true in reality. One TSA agent I asked said that they close precheck at some point between 8 and 830. When that happens, there is only one security line. Depending on the time, there are some intl flights to TLV etc so the line may be long.

I found the LH lounge to have better and wider selection of food than SK lounge. But SK lounge is more spacious.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:53 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Who let the dogs out?

Data point to keep in mind if you have a tight connection.

Yesterday 1500. Got on airside connection bus, asked to stop at B, told no stop at B today all day, try again tomorrow. Exited and went to B-3 via airtrain.

No priority line, no pre-check, everyone in one line funneled one at a time by a search dog. At one point it was time to change dogs but there was another standing by. Once past that was the ID check and normal security, laptops out but shoes and belts stay on. Total for all this was 30 minutes in line plus the 15 additional to get over there so total delay 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.