Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My guess is UA's gonna have a lot of no-shows for at the tail end of some of these cheap trips at the hubs. A friend of mine is taking a WN flight IAH-SAT so she can catch her UA SAT-IAH-EWR-FCO flight ($1500 out of SAT vs $5000 out of IAH).

Her route back is FCO-MUC-IAH-(nominally)SAT. IAH is port of entry for her and she gets to put her hands on her luggage (if you know what I mean, and I think you do...). She potentially gets screwed if IRROPS force a different routing (eg via IAD or EWR).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:00 am

Not that I'm complaining ... but what might be the motivation for UA to offer these fares?

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well of course. Why do you think so many of us are buying 2, 3, or more of these tickets? But you're part of a very small community that's benefiting from these extraordinary, unadvertised fares.

It's going to be a dry summer indeed for the broader universe of MP members who want to fly to Europe in J for less than six grand.
It gets even better. The SFO-MOD positioning flight turns around immediately for the first leg of my MOD-SFO-Europe itinerary. Can I just stay on the plane?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My guess is UA's gonna have a lot of no-shows for at the tail end of some of these cheap trips at the hubs.

Last edited by malgudi; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: UA GS
For once it has been great to call the islands home! Fares from HNL and OGG have been identical to West Coast / East Coast fares. Makes up for some of the huge price increases we have seen from the islands to the West Coast over the past year. Too bad a stopover won't work on these.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:18 am

think PMO/CTA as the furthest(?), from SJC.

EDIT: nope, MLA.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:25 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Wow, I just realized that the first weekend falls within the travel period for my 3x RDM offer!

I guess I'm going to buy another!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by thomasj
Can we get a WIKI at the top of this post if people would like to share their dates of travel and flights in case they want to meet up with other FT'ers?

I'm doing a run to FCO via EWR. It would be fun if others were on that. (late aug).
seconded!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
For once it has been great to call the islands home! Fares from HNL and OGG have been identical to West Coast / East Coast fares. Makes up for some of the huge price increases we have seen from the islands to the West Coast over the past year. Too bad a stopover won't work on these.
UA gave me one on my way back to Maui from Paris as an option. Flight from Paris arrives 1pm, flight to OGG leaves next day at 9am. I get to visit some friends on their home turf.

My other trip (to FCO from Maui) was actually a $100 cheaper than most reported from the mainland.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Flight from Paris arrives 1pm, flight to OGG leaves next day at 9am. I get to visit some friends on their home turf.
That's actually just a connection, since this is international.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
That's actually just a connection, since this is international.
Yeah, but I consider it a stopover

A side-benefit to all this are the GPUs that I had leftover. Just bought and upgraded round-trip tickets OGG-ORD w/ GPUs for late Sept/Early Nov - week-long visit to Windy City plus Fleetwood Mac (incl Christine McVie) on 10/2.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2014 at 1:50 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Too bad a stopover won't work on these.
I got quasi stopovers in EWR on the way back to HNL, approximately 20 hours, so I can visit friends in Manhattan.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:31 am

wow crazy...never thought these fares would come back.
I can see bunch of $1500ish fares to Europe...I have no time to take vacations this summer, so this deal is killing me..
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by agjil
wow crazy...never thought these fares would come back.
I can see bunch of $1500ish fares to Europe...I have no time to take vacations this summer, so this deal is killing me..
short 4th of july trip? :P
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:11 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Wow, I just realized that the first weekend falls within the travel period for my 3x RDM offer!

I guess I'm going to buy another!
Wow, wish mine did! I have been trying to find a good P deal for the 3x period on my offer, but so far, no luck. (Well, I did find an IAD-IAH-LIM which wasn't outrageous--only $300 more than Y--but now am looking for a domestic trip given the amount of international I've subsequently booked.) My 3x offer ends 5/31.

Last edited by exerda; Apr 4, 2014 at 5:22 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I'm amazed that this deal came. I saw the orinigal threa after the deal was gone and now I'm seeing actual $1560 P fare to CDG or $1604 with LH 748 TATL.

Too bad I have a 3 weeks vacation to SYD (before *A premium class award inlfation) in July and cannot really do another vacation to Europe.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Glorious joy. I don't stand a chance of crediting only part to A3, do I? I think UA uses the number that's in the res at the time of crediting, so playing these games can be risky, but I'm happy to be told that I'm wrong.
Hard on a same-day turn. With a day or two between shouldn't be a problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.