Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delayed flight leaves earlier than scheduled departure time!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed flight leaves earlier than scheduled departure time!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
If the delay is due to weather, absolutely positively stay near the gate 'cuz that can change fast. Weather at either origin or destination. Flying MSP-SFO some time back on DL, 3.5 hour weather delay due to ATC restrictions into SFO. The flight left 30 minutes into that 3.5 hour delay, with very, very few people on board. There was a window of opportunity at SFO and they took it, rather than risk further delays that might scrap the flight entirely.

And my wife wonders why, no matter how much time we supposedly have before a flight, the first thing I do upon arriving at the airport is go to the gate and check out the lay of the land. You never know, but you can often learn something talking with the people working the gate.
I agree that on flow control delays I stay close because those frequently move up. But when there is no plane there due to a late arrival (confirmable via the app) or the like I certainly expect that I won't have to camp out at an empty jetway on the chance that UA will make a plane appear and not bother updating their systems to show that. I am just surprised that so many folks don't see UA's lack of effective and timely communications as a real problem in cases like this. By all means find a new plane and get the flight going but update the freakin system info - that's what all this technology and connected world stuff is all about.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pdx1M
.... I am just surprised that so many folks don't see UA's lack of effective and timely communications as a real problem in cases like this. ....
Sure that's the issue but in the situation, if UA re-schedules, who is going to get hurt. The one standing on principal???
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sure that's the issue but in the situation, if UA re-schedules, who is going to get hurt. The one standing on principal???
+1
Do you want to make your flight or get left behind full of "justified" anger?

One of the defining attributes of the frequent traveler is knowing how to reach your destination notwithstanding whatever obstacles weather, crowds, and yes, airlines (not just UA) may throw in the way.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yikes, travel much?

Your location says New York, have you not been to LGA? Terminal A at EWR? The UA part of terminal A at IAD? The barn at YYZ (and that's only a few years old)? Terminal A at SFO is by no means the most glamorous, but there are far worse.
I specifically said airport, not terminal. I agree there are bits of LGA, EWR and IAD that are individually worse that bits of LAX. But as an overall airport experience such as getting between terminals, security, rude and unhelpful staff, terrible customs and immigration processing and general rundown-ness, I think LAX takes the overall prize.

By all means find a new plane and get the flight going but update the freakin system info - that's what all this technology and connected world stuff is all about.
This is very true, especially when trying to plan a course of action, inaccurate information is worse than no information.

I often SDC from a delayed flight to an earlier also delayed flight, most of the time it works but occasionally it winds up biting me in the behind usually because the information UA were providing was inaccurate.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alex_b
I specifically said airport, not terminal. I agree there are bits of LGA, EWR and IAD that are individually worse that bits of LAX. But as an overall airport experience such as getting between terminals, security, rude and unhelpful staff, terrible customs and immigration processing and general rundown-ness, I think LAX takes the overall prize.
No one thought you were talking about LAX...

Anyway, you're completely wrong about LAX.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BH62
A few days ago at SFO, flight was "delayed" due to (1) late arrival of aircraft (which then sat waiting at the gate) until (2) late arrival of crew. Two legs of a trifecta, could there be a 3rd?
Ill give you a third....Weight/balance issues. Out of BUR yesterday the plane was too heavy to take off on Runway 26. They unloaded a couple bags and got clearance. We then got a ground stop for 45 minutes.

Of course, as soon as they announced the ground stop, three passengers demanded be let off the flight. They got off - with their bags. The two bags that were previously unloaded were reloaded.///

What a fun one that was.

Originally Posted by archcreate
Sure does seem to vary greatly how folks view these things. I have found virtually all the staff on the ground at SFO to be very helpful over 6 trips so far this year.
The club agent at SFO was beyond wonderful at getting me rebooked yesterday and protecting me on a later SFO-EWR flight.

Of course, that was counterbalanced by the gate agent that wiped out my remaining PNR resulting in all my seats being reassigned - going from a E+ seat to a middle E- seat in Row 31. He also managed to screw up my EWR-DCA connection seat - moving me a from 2A to 22D.

WTH.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
My guess is that it said "gate change" in the subject line. If I got a gate change email and it happened to say the original departure time, I wouldn't think that UA was rolling back the delay.
It didn't say "original" or "scheduled" or anything to lead you to believe it was something other than the current status. It says "Departs".

Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
Are you implying that this 540PM final email sent is definitive when the mobile app continuously showed and the baggage check agent stated the flight is delayed 2+ hours - which was AFTER this email was sent?

I presume whatever automated system is used to send out gate changes uses the original scheduled time fields to populate the flight data in the email.
No, which is why I never said that; the situation is always in flux. I'm skeptical the mobile app showed old info after being refreshed when UA had already sent email notifications and notified third parties like me. I'm unable to verify your claims any system ever indicated a 2+ hour delay.

All of the United flight alerts I can find in my email archives reflect the estimated departure time at the time of the email.

Regardless, if I'm seeing conflicting information, I'm going to put myself in a position to determine the ground truth.

Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
Would you run like the wind to the gate huffing and puffing and sweaty to meet the scheduled requirement when everything indicates that the flight is delayed? I wouldn't have and I bet you wouldn't have either.
I schedule myself to arrive at the airport at a normal time even if my flight is posted delayed, so I don't end up a sweaty mess. The unforseen happens, and I've certainly ended up as a sweaty mess at the gate, but I'm not self-imposing it when the airline posts a delay.

I am just surprised that so many folks don't see UA's lack of effective and timely communications as a real problem in cases like this.
In this case, they notified him more than an hour before the doors closed that it would be 7p departure.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
I do the same thing. If UA tells me a flight is delayed, I'm not showing up at the gate before the appropriate boarding time for the delay.

The way I look at it, it's the airline's job to keep us reasonably informed of delays. The fact that airlines (and some FT'ers, apparently) expect to be able to tell us that a plane is going to be delayed for 2+ hours and then all of a sudden have the plane depart within 20 minutes just shows how bad the flying experience now is. If all US-based carriers start engaging in this practice regularly, then at some point I'll just stop flying.
Meh, I usually look at it as a good thing when a flight is no longer delayed, or at least less delayed than previously expected.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Bear96
Meh, I usually look at it as a good thing when a flight is no longer delayed, or at least less delayed than previously expected.
The issue is the lack of communication and/or lack of clarity in the communication.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
I agree that on flow control delays I stay close because those frequently move up. But when there is no plane there due to a late arrival (confirmable via the app) or the like I certainly expect that I won't have to camp out at an empty jetway on the chance that UA will make a plane appear and not bother updating their systems to show that. I am just surprised that so many folks don't see UA's lack of effective and timely communications as a real problem in cases like this. By all means find a new plane and get the flight going but update the freakin system info - that's what all this technology and connected world stuff is all about.
I am not saying that communication could not be better will ALL airlines. It is a simple fact though that, if you know airline flight information is not always kept current and you know that things can change suddenly, and it matters to you whether or not you catch a flight, then you should weigh any discomfort or inconvenience resulting from having to stay closer to the gate or going over near it periodically, with the discomfort and inconvenience you would suffer if you miss the flight. If the pain of missing the flight is severe enough, then yep I will camp out somewhere near. But of course, if the gate is empty, then I do not need to be there. But if most of the passengers are staying in the area, the gate attendant is staying at the gate, etc, then I know things could change quickly. Its all relative. In the situation of the OP, I do not think he was choosing to ignore the risk of a flight being moved up, instead, it seems like he was unaware. He is now though.

Originally Posted by Kacee
One of the defining attributes of the frequent traveler is knowing how to reach your destination notwithstanding whatever obstacles weather, crowds, and yes, airlines (not just UA) may throw in the way.
+1
And yep, this is not a UA thing, its travel in a world with imperfect systems and people running them. Happens all the time to all carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.