Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Pretzel Service and Full Can Drink on International Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ben237829624
No I did not ask for a full can. But in the past, I was ALWAYS offered a full can if thats any kind of soft-drink(Coke sprite AJ etc). I am sure I can ask for a full can if I want, but I'm just wondering if any company policy told FAs not to give full can unless asked by passenger that resulted in the change.
Ask for a full can, period. End of story.

FWIW, all my TPAC Y segments this year, I have always been offered a full can of Coke Zero (my choice), even on the midnight snack segment (save one where they served OJ/Water only ).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No more pretzels with first drink service.

FA no longer voluntarily give you a whole can, sUA or SCO. However, if you ask, they are supposed to give you the can.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It also requires slightly less effort by the FA not to volunteer a free can, which I suspect plays into the process sometimes.
pmUA used to just give you a cup of ice and a can sometimes. That's how to volunteer the whole can without doing extra work. But, I've never flown any other airline that does this. Not AA, not even AC.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I have mixed thoughts. On one hand I wonder how many open cans do they end up with at the end on the other I find myself not really drinking a full can.
When serving by the cup, they end up with at most one open can per drink flavor. If each passenger is served an entire can, there's much more potential for wastage, although I suspect it's much less than one might think as I'd guess that most people finish what they are served.

That brings up another issue: serving less beverages reduces the demand for the lavs. Not that the FAs particularly care about lav wear and tear, or the duration of the line, but they may care about the crowding created by the line.

... all my TPAC Y segments this year ...
What is this concept, TPAC Y?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not a big deal to just ask for a can if you want one, IME.

On the other hand, now being based in India, I've seen how some of the non-American carriers do it (at least in Y). CX pours out of a bigger bottle (I think 1L) so even asking for a can probably won't work (maybe they have them in J?). I don't think TG does cans - though my memory could be failing me. Air India domestic offers a meal, at least on the few 1.5 - 2 hour domestic segments I've been on, which come with a small bottle of water. But no other drink service at all (though I've admittedly never tried asking for a juice/soft drink to see if they'd bring it).
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:30 am

The pretzel thing is more bothersome for me. That's cutting very very deep and is really over the top.

Delta and American both offer pretzels with the first drink service.

It's embarrassing for UA and sad that they have to go to this level of cost cutting.

Why not try to transform more structural things for broader savings rather than attacking the last few pennies.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Ord747Cle
Why not try to transform more structural things for broader savings rather than attacking the last few pennies.
Like what?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Well if LH can give me a full can, then UA needs to be competitive and do the same. Jeffy can find his $2B in savings somewhere else. I demand the same full can as provided on LH!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:44 pm

For what it's worth, I had the same experience earlier this month in TATL Y -- both sUA (IAD-FRA) and sCO (MUC-IAD). Not sure if this heralds a policy change, but as they say the plural of "anecdote" is "data".
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
The data are not consistent. Both me and my traveling companion were given full cans today, without asking, on multiple drink services on LHR-IAH.

BTW, I have also been seeing GS called before flights recently, including the last few TATL flights, and taken to the front of the boarding line before boarding starts. Staff at LHR even has GS sign to hold up. GS names are checked against a list/manifest.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:39 pm

The pretzel thing is more bothersome for me. That's cutting very very deep and is really over the top.

It's embarrassing for UA and sad that they have to go to this level of cost cutting.

Heck! Us Abner's ALWAYS get pretzels and peanuts taboot on Southwest, and we never, ever ax for nuttin"!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
pmUA used to just give you a cup of ice and a can sometimes. That's how to volunteer the whole can without doing extra work. But, I've never flown any other airline that does this. Not AA, not even AC.
I was just thinking this solution makes sense to me. I've been given can and ice on WN and US, among other airlines that aren't coming to my mind at the moment. Think it's less of a policy issue and more about the preferences of who's serving you.

I admit that I don't really care about these things and would never pick an airline based on them, but I was on a domestic DL flight recently (which I picked because it was hundreds of $$ cheaper than UA) and was shocked when the FA handed me pretzels, a cookie, and peanuts with my drink.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I've been given can and ice on WN and US, among other airlines that aren't coming to my mind at the moment. Think it's less of a policy issue and more about the preferences of who's serving you.
On WN they pour single cup servings in the galley and bring them out a trayful at a time. In probably more than a hundred WN flights over the past seven years, I don't recall ever seeing a full can in the cabin.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by adagio
BTW, I have also been seeing GS called before flights recently, including the last few TATL flights, and taken to the front of the boarding line before boarding starts. Staff at LHR even has GS sign to hold up. GS names are checked against a list/manifest.
Yeah, same at CDG the last 2 weeks - no sign, but definitely called up by name at the very start of boarding.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:21 am

I just flew Newark to Oslo in E+ and the FAs did offer the full can on the first drink service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.