Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Pretzel Service and Full Can Drink on International Y?

Old Mar 21, 14, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: China Southern Elite Gold

Havn't been flying internationally for a while and just noticed that FA stopped giving out full can of drink and pretzel in Y in a recent ORD-HKG-SFO ultra-long haul trip. Another way to save 2 million?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 21, 14 at 5:42 pm Reason: One incident does not a policy make
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by ben237829624 View Post
Havn't been flying internationally for a while and just noticed that FA stopped giving out full can of drink and pretzel in Y in a recent ORD-HKG-SFO ultra-long haul trip. Another way to save 2 million?
Billion
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Did you ask for a full can?

This subject has been addressed repeatedly. Just because the FA did not volunteer you a full can in one instance on one flight does not mean that UA has changed its company-wide policies.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

This subject has been addressed repeatedly. Just because the FA did not volunteer you a full can in one instance on one flight does not mean that UA has changed its company-wide policies.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story now Kacee
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: China Southern Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

No I did not ask for a full can. But in the past, I was ALWAYS offered a full can if thats any kind of soft-drink(Coke sprite AJ etc). I am sure I can ask for a full can if I want, but I'm just wondering if any company policy told FAs not to give full can unless asked by passenger that resulted in the change.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
No I did not ask for a full can.
Case closed.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
... I'm just wondering if any company policy told FAs not to give full can unless asked by passenger that resulted in the change.
so far it just appears to be a minority of some FA's doing this. Can not explain why.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
No More Pretzel Service and Full Can Drink on International Y

Well the current policy is pour, give can on request only. This was the pmCO policy. There have been reports though lately that even when asking for a can people have been denied.

I have mixed thoughts. On one hand I wonder how many open cans do they end up with at the end on the other I find myself not really drinking a full can. Does it seem cheap? Yes but this is UA were talking about so no surprise.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is FT trope #327: "Guys, I wanted to give you a heads up about the major policy change that I unjustifiably inferred from the behavior of a single employee."
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
Well the current policy is pour, give can on request only. ....
is this your experience or what an FA stated or have your seen the policy written??

IME I have always been offered the can (but many times asked first) but I would not be surprized some FAs (with years of pmCO experience might be just doing what they are use to).
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
is this your experience or what an FA stated or have your seen the policy written??

IME I have always been offered the can (but many times asked first) but I would not be surprized some FAs (with years of pmCO experience might be just doing what they are use to).
It also requires slightly less effort by the FA not to volunteer a free can, which I suspect plays into the process sometimes.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Perhaps it depends on the popularity of the drink, too! I asked for apple juice twice, got 1/2 can each time, and when I asked for cranberry, got the full can. My seatmate asked for cranberry all 3 times and received a can.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
This is FT trope #327:;
Is this a trope or an FT-unique meme?
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

Possibly but not on the routes the OP referred to, it is still pmUA.
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
This is FT trope #327: "Guys, I wanted to give you a heads up about the major policy change that I unjustifiably inferred from the behavior of a single employee."
Give the guy (OP) a break.. anyone can get confused now and then.. :-p

Search this Thread
Search Engine: