Wiki Posts
Search

SG award booking suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond

I'm trying to book on SG from SIN to DPS (Bali). Can see flights on Expedia, etc but calling GS line and there is nothing available in any cabin.

Any ways to get them to open up award seats? Any work around?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Open award space on a partner's metal is something UA can not force even for GS. Occasionally when dealing with a schedule change, UA will call and ask for assistance, but with a new ticket I suspect you will get nowhere.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Open award space on a partner's metal is something UA can not force even for GS. Occasionally when dealing with a schedule change, UA will call and ask for assistance, but with a new ticket I suspect you will get nowhere.
That's what I figured but hoping there is some routing I can find that has seats, even if I have to take an out of the way connection.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wethereyet
hoping there is some routing I can find that has seats, even if I have to take an out of the way connection.
SQ has the only non-stop, but you could also try
BR via TPE
OZ via ICN
TG via BKK
SQ/OZ via ICN
SQ/BR via TPE
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Sorry - SpiceJet (SG) doesn't fly to SIN or DPS, nor is an MP partner.

Seriously, though - award seats are limited so just because they are selling for $, doesn't mean they are available for awards.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
BR almost always has availability through TPE. TG through BKK is probably the next best after that.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
You could also buy a revenue ticket on one of the many carriers who serves this route. (Wow, KLM operates a tag flight SIN-DPS?!.)

There's a mix of traditional legacy carriers and LCCs on this route — I think your options include AirAsia, SQ, Valuair (?), Garuda Indonesia (?), Tigerair (?), Qatar Airways, KLM, Jetstar…
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
You could also buy a revenue ticket on one of the many carriers who serves this route. (Wow, KLM operates a tag flight SIN-DPS?!.)

There's a mix of traditional legacy carriers and LCCs on this route — I think your options include AirAsia, SQ, Valuair (?), Garuda Indonesia (?), Tigerair (?), Qatar Airways, KLM, Jetstar…
I am sure I could. Kinda makes the over 1M M+ miles I have banked fairly useless for me at the moment though, eh?

So far have one crazy routing on TG that would get me SIN-HKG-BKK-DPS but there is no return available. Not that desperate to go to Bali if that's best route I'd get. Have hotel booked and will have to hawk every day for something to pop up and if not cancel the hotel and go somewhere else.

Strug-A-ling to make an award booking for this trip.....
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I am sure I could. Kinda makes the over 1M M+ miles I have banked fairly useless for me at the moment though, eh?

So far have one crazy routing on TG that would get me SIN-HKG-BKK-DPS but there is no return available. Not that desperate to go to Bali if that's best route I'd get. Have hotel booked and will have to hawk every day for something to pop up and if not cancel the hotel and go somewhere else.

Strug-A-ling to make an award booking for this trip.....
Why not use your miles for a nice beachfront hotel, and spend the relatively low cost of flying KLM in biz class nonstop SIN-DPS? Their paid biz is a steal on this route.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:33 pm

Sure, it's fair to say that several things UA has done recently have made your miles less valuable.

What dates do you have in mind? SQ usually has space available on SIN-DPS so I'm a bit surprised that there was nothing.

Unless you really enjoy airline lounges or really like planes, you're probably not gonna love the circuitous *A journeys like SIN-BKK-DPS. The nonstop flights on other carriers are cheap (well under $200 r/t) and can be a good choice if you value your time.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Sure, it's fair to say that several things UA has done recently have made your miles less valuable.

What dates do you have in mind? SQ usually has space available on SIN-DPS so I'm a bit surprised that there was nothing.

Unless you really enjoy airline lounges or really like planes, you're probably not gonna love the circuitous *A journeys like SIN-BKK-DPS. The nonstop flights on other carriers are cheap (well under $200 r/t) and can be a good choice if you value your time.
Not finding anything rev sub $200 r/t

Looking for dates of last two weeks of July.

No way on earth I'd take a crazy routing. Only flights I see on UA.com right now are some TG flights connecting through BKK but no return available. Usually I'm able to find stuff out of SIN quite easily but not now.

I've booked three hotels at different destination already as a hedge until I can find flights I need Still don't know where we'll be going on vacation. lol
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:33 am

Not finding anything rev sub $200 r/t
For many of these Asian carriers you have to check their Web sites directly. The fare I see on jetstar.com for e.g. 23 Jul thru 30 Jul is 188SGD ($148 USD).

Looking for dates of last two weeks of July.

No way on earth I'd take a crazy routing. Only flights I see on UA.com right now are some TG flights connecting through BKK but no return available. Usually I'm able to find stuff out of SIN quite easily but not now.
Just to be totally clear, you are aware that UA has made it impossible to find awards on Singapore Airlines online as of December 13, 2013, right? They announced this to us at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2013-a.html .

To find SQ inventory you'll need to call UA, or use some third-party availability source such as the ANA search engine and then phone UA with the flights you want.

Using the ANA tool, for 2 pax I see inventory SIN-DPS 7/24 SQ946 (coach); SIN-DPS 7/27 SQ946 (coach); SIN-DPS 7/28 SQ948 (coach, business class) SIN-DPS 7/29 SQ940 (business), SQ946 (coach), and SQ948 (coach); and SIN-DPS 7/30 SQ948 (coach).

I also see inventory for 2 pax DPS-SIN in various classes of service on SQ nonstops 7/24, 7/25, 7/30.

So there is a bit of inventory.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Yes - you have to call now for Singapore Airlines to get true availability. Also - I flew to DPS on Garuda airlines last year and it was a great flight - and in business class it was quite reasonably priced. Garuda has cleaned up their act in the past years - but still not up to the level of global carriers - but still quite good. Just another option...
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

For many of these Asian carriers you have to check their Web sites directly. The fare I see on jetstar.com for e.g. 23 Jul thru 30 Jul is 188SGD ($148 USD).

Just to be totally clear, you are aware that UA has made it impossible to find awards on Singapore Airlines online as of December 13, 2013, right? They announced this to us at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2013-a.html .

To find SQ inventory you'll need to call UA, or use some third-party availability source such as the ANA search engine and then phone UA with the flights you want.

Using the ANA tool, for 2 pax I see inventory SIN-DPS 7/24 SQ946 (coach); SIN-DPS 7/27 SQ946 (coach); SIN-DPS 7/28 SQ948 (coach, business class) SIN-DPS 7/29 SQ940 (business), SQ946 (coach), and SQ948 (coach); and SIN-DPS 7/30 SQ948 (coach).

I also see inventory for 2 pax DPS-SIN in various classes of service on SQ nonstops 7/24, 7/25, 7/30.

So there is a bit of inventory.
Thanks for tips. Working in it now

mherdeg, thanks for the tip on Jetstart. Got three econ tickets for 350 USD R/T. Breathing air and water will be a fee of course... Not worth using miles for that kind of deal on 2 hr flight but then again this is how I've amassed point by not using them. Defeat the freakin' purpose.

Irritating SQ is allowed to hide award inventory. I see a lot of SQ flights on ANA website and went I called in to try and get them, agent said not available for award travel. Can only imagine when I book to Maldives how useless M+ will be as well.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 11, 2014 at 5:46 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.