Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get a refund for a cancelled flight causing hotel penalty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
If you have a pre-paid room, the strategy should be to get the credit used for a future date. Or, just ask to change the arrival date if it's for multiple days, and then let incidental charges like food/drinks/laundry/internet eat up the balance of the credit. If you have a normal reservation, you're just asking for a simple exception.

I can only remember getting dinged once out of dozens times I've had to cancel within the normal 24/48 window, but I have never had pre-paid money given back to me.
+1 This has occurred to me on several occasions and each time I started with a refund request (directed to hotel manager) and was denied, although each time they connected me to their accounting dept and in each situation they either allowed me to check-in the next day, or use the pre-paid amount as a future credit at their property.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd say more than 90% of my bookings over the past five years go non-refundable no later than 6pm the day before arrival. Though I book publicly available rates, not specially-negotiated corporate rates.

I'd guess those hundreds of nights are at special corporate rates that have lenient cancellation policies.

I will, however, say that I do not know the policies of every chain, so I can see where some people will have difference experiences than I have.
Are you under the impression that people are discussing official policies?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:33 am

I have NEVER had a Marriott hold me to a non-refundable --- Our flight to HNL a year or so ago was cancelled as we were sitting on the tarmac (APU went kaput). Immediately called the front desk over there, in somewhat of a panic, was trans to the manager and bingo cancelled - NO PROB!

I told them that they could check with UA if they wanted and the manager stated that wouldn't be necessary.

Booking non-refundables for a discounted rate does make one think about it from the time ya pull the trigger until the plane lands, and this can be for many moons.

UAL btw, is NOT going to reimburse anyone for a non-refundable room, a non-refundable car, or a groom who had a bride get cold feet.

That's what travel insurance is for and all the lawyers, or wanna-bee lawyers on FT ain't gonna change that fact.

Iow's, book a non-refundable and don't make it, you're at the mercy of a higher power --- namely the manager of the hotel.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This discussion is continuing on the hotel side of things:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...on-how-do.html

Not sure both threads are needed.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Actually, both subjects are being discussed on this thread, namely is UAL going to reimburse the OP if his hotel does not cooperate?

How many mods do we need on this forum?

Originally Posted by dyons

From your collective experiences, it is possible for me to ask UA to compensate me for that one night's charge?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by LilAbner

UAL btw, is NOT going to reimburse anyone for a non-refundable room, a non-refundable car, or a groom who had a bride get cold feet.

That's what travel insurance is for and all the lawyers, or wanna-bee lawyers on FT ain't gonna change that fact.

Iow's, book a non-refundable and don't make it, you're at the mercy of a higher power --- namely the manager of the hotel.
AND NOT UAL. .....AND THAT WAS THE OP's QUESTION!!!

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
This discussion is continuing on the hotel side of things:l]

Not sure both threads are needed.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:04 pm

It is possible (maybe even probable) that I got lucky, but UA did issue me additional airline credit in the amount of the non-refundable hotel night after contacting them through the website and requesting the additional compensation due to the MX which 86ed my flight.

I first attempted to work with the hotel, oddly enough a Hilton, but after a refusal from both the Front Desk and a manager, I saw that was going to get me nowhere fast, so I contacted UA and attached a copy of hotel reservation showing that it was non-refundable and the email from the manager saying that he would not refund nor give me credit for the reservation in question.

I did not hear for a while but eventually heard back from UA, in essence the email stated that they (UA) hoped airline credit in lieu of cash was ok to cover my expenses (and it was).

So I guess you never know, it never hurts to ask.

Dan
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
FWIW, I looked into all of the insurance options automatically provided with the UA-branded Chase cards. It seems that you can get reimbursed for non-refundable hotel/tours/etc if your trip is delayed or canceled due to illness or weather, but they specifically exclude any carrier cancellations that are NOT due to weather.

This is good to know, but does make me think twice about booking something prepaid especially if the flight is late in the day (though I have only once in my entire life been delayed overnight getting to my destination due to MX)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Are you under the impression that people are discussing official policies?
If you follow the thread, you'll have your answer.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you follow the thread, you'll have your answer.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
(though I have only once in my entire life been delayed overnight getting to my destination due to MX)
But this will quickly change if you start booking int'l connections off of a UA 744 . . . .
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by exerda
This is what trip insurance is for, if you choose to buy it. The airline is not going to reimburse you for non-refundable hotel nights.
Those non-refundable rates come at a discount. Sure, it would be nice if the hotel refunded you for the night, but for those types of rates, you'd likely pay more.

The prepay in full, non-refundable, discounted rates . . . I've never gotten any hotel to budge on. So twice burned I just pay more for rates refundable up to the checkin day/time.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yes, but this of course confuses two important and different angles to these situations.

The distinction between "pre-paid" and "within the cancellation window" are very different in this type of situation.

If you have a pre-paid room, the strategy should be to get the credit used for a future date. Or, just ask to change the arrival date if it's for multiple days, and then let incidental charges like food/drinks/laundry/internet eat up the balance of the credit. If you have a normal reservation, you're just asking for a simple exception.

I can only remember getting dinged once out of dozens times I've had to cancel within the normal 24/48 window, but I have never had pre-paid money given back to me.
+1 Well stated. Important distinctions and courses of action here.

Never been able to get the "fully prepayed and non-refundable" refunded. Didn't try for a credit . . . and probably should have in hindsight.

The "you will be charged 1 night's rate after 1800" or whatever, yes, I have gotten those refunded, rather painlessly, after explaining what has happened in the past.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Saa Voyager, Emirates, BA
Lucky you

Lucky you, getting onto the next flight. United flight from SFO to BOS cancelled for technical reasons in January. Rebooked on a flight leaving 48 hours later. No hotel compensation offered. Had to personally rebook same day on different airline at hugh expense to get back in time for work. United compensated with $150.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:54 am

Angry Notorious

Unfortunately, you are dealing with two institutions (Hilton, United Airlines) that are notorious for their stubborn refusal to have any common sense in refunds. I recently had a UA flight out of Aspen canceled (weather) forcing me to find overnight lodging in Aspen (very pricey) and after fighting with United for several weeks hit a dead end. They simply will not compensate. (the weather in Aspen was beautiful but they said it was weather).

As for Hilton, on their web site, the option is simply put- to get the best rate, you can book a no-refund policy. Period. (to quote our President). Either accept that, or don't book the no-refund rate.

Last edited by pepsi38; Mar 11, 2014 at 6:54 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:07 am

UA Flight Cancellation results in No Show Fees

Good morning. Did United offer to rebook you on another carrier such as AA or BA? What time did UA cancel your departure? If I were in your predicament, I would contact the CEO of UA and voice your complaint. I would also do the same with Hilton. Shoot for the top and your chances of a positive result greatly increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.