Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get a refund for a cancelled flight causing hotel penalty

Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Hello Flyers:
My 9 AM flight UA 922 EWR-LHR departing EWR at 9 AM EST on March 6 (and arriving LHR that night) was cancelled owing to maintenance issues. UA booked me on the next available flight that day, UA 800 departing at 6:05 pm arriving the next day.

Unfortunately I had a hotel reservation in London at the Hilton (at an non-refundable advance purchase rate). Hilton refused to credit me for the night of the 6th despite my request to do so, as I said it was not my fault. I offered to provide them proof of the airlines' cancellation.

From your collective experiences, it is possible for me to ask UA to compensate me for that one night's charge?

If so, how do I go about it? When I called UA, they asked me to use the UA portal, but I cannot find a link.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dyons
it is possible for me to ask UA to compensate me for that one night's charge?
It's always possible to ask, but I've never heard of anyone getting satisfaction.

This, however, would definitely make me avoid that hotel in the future (and I thank you for that public service). I don't think I've ever heard of a hotel that didn't offer flexibility for situations like this.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dyons
Unfortunately I had a hotel reservation in London at the Hilton (at an non-refundable advance purchase rate). Hilton refused to credit me for the night of the 6th despite my request to do so, as I said it was not my fault. I offered to provide them proof of the airlines' cancellation.
If you have not already done so, please go to the Hilton | HHonors Forum and post this in the hotel specific thread in order to warn others about this action from the hotel property.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by controller1
If you have not already done so, please go to the Hilton | HHonors Forum and post this in the hotel specific thread in order to warn others about this action from the hotel property.
Concur.

When I had a similar issue last month, the Shangri-La Bangkok was quite gracious about changing my reservation and not charging me for the night I missed.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Concur.

When I had a similar issue last month, the Shangri-La Bangkok was quite gracious about changing my reservation and not charging me for the night I missed.
I will say they have all been in the US, but I have never been charged for the six+ times this has happened to me. I've always provided the flight number to the hotel and they have always been understanding.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:31 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
You might also ask the hotel if they were completely booked. If they had lots of rooms, they did not turn any one away because of your no show. Marriott is pretty good about this.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
Thanks you. I have just done so.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
To contact UA, use the "contact us" link on the top right of the home page. From there you should reach a screen that allows you to link to a form to email. Include your hotel invoice as a PDF attachment. You won't get cash but you might get a voucher for a future discount on UA that's comparable to what you spent.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This is what trip insurance is for, if you choose to buy it. The airline is not going to reimburse you for non-refundable hotel nights.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
I believe many of the Chase cards also offer automatic protection for such situations.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
You might also ask the hotel if they were completely booked. If they had lots of rooms, they did not turn any one away because of your no show. Marriott is pretty good about this.
I think the logic might be the opposite. If the hotel is underbooked, then not charging for the room means that the hotel loses whole refund.

If, however, the hotel is overbooked, then releasing the room means that the hotel might avoid overbooking or might sell the room to another person.

However, I agree that in the OP situation at least a partial refund would mean a lot in terms of loyalty. Four years ago priceline refunded my room that I booked through "name your price" tool, and I appreciated that a lot; now I am more confident in booking on priceline (and do it all the time).
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by villox
I believe many of the Chase cards also offer automatic protection for such situations.
Some of us use pre-paid reservations. I've lost at least three of these in past couple of years due to UA's inability to get me to my destination in a timely manner
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Some of us use pre-paid reservations.
But even so, most hotels will at least allow you to use the prepaid amount for a future reservation.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The hotel is not responsible for your arrival when you buy a pre-paid stay. This is clearly part of the terms one signs when purchasing. On the other hand, the hotels that make allowances in such situations get my continued business vs those who don't.

Cost savings can be significant and still can be achieved if you miss one night of a multi-night stay. I once personally pre-paid a 2 week stay via a re-seller at a London hotel at 60% of the best price our corporate travel (AMEX) people could quote. Even if I lost a night, I (and my company) would have ended up 'way ahead, even if the hotel didn't make an allowance.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The hotel is not responsible for your arrival when you buy a pre-paid stay.
Even fully refundable rates usually become non-refundable one day (or more) before the stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.