Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Say Vandelay
Club/Lounge Locations: D8, C4, C7, C17 (both UC and PL)
United Clubs, fairly similar amenities
- near Gate C4 (as of 8/29/23 open 2:00-7:00pm)
- near Gate C7
- near Gate D8
- near Gate C17

Best Lounge Options for UA/* Gold at IAD?
and
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]

Print Wikipost

IAD United Club: Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Consider the source

The UA clubs are frustrating to me due to the lack of seating at peak times (when I travel, Monday and Friday) and the behavior of the clientele. Even in the quiet or work areas I have to listen to videos or loud conversations about your widget sales or derivatives. I have better experiences on crowded JR East cars at rush hour. ^

So after my one year experiment with the UC, I'm done. I'll eat my carrots in a quiet gate area from now on (save the day passes for irrops). Why do domestic flyers still pay for this experience?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by lazard
UA is not gonna stop selling one time passes because it's lucrative and cutting access for *G would hurt UA frequent fliers more than alliance travelers.
Why? Because of the reciprocal benefit? Scheme it for reciprocal access for UC members and not *G. I'm pretty heartless about that <gold benefit because I'm sick of the overcrowding when partners flood the terminal with their heavies departing around the same time and all the *g line up to push crackers into their mouth and throw the wrappers everywhere because they see the club as an overcrowded dump so who cares if the cookies get ground into the carpet.

Buy a membership or go to your own airline club where you have a membership.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I'm still unclear on how this works, so please forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion: Since OP was on an international ticket and *A Gold, would he not have access to the LH lounge?
Yes he would. Maybe not so willing to make the trek to the B gates (not so bad, but the trek back is time consuming). Using TSA PreCheck lets me get to the airport two hours early and have time to get to the LH lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
How do you figure the 2 passes on the chase card is culprit in over crowding the clubs? I'm genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion.
I'm in one or more of the IAD UCs at least once a week and I very often overhear discussions relating to the free passes. Plus there's usually a queue to get in and I often see people presenting the passes.

I'm with you on enforcing some rules, although to my eyes there are a lot of people that take an overly familiar attitude with the club and those people often look to be my fellow elites yapping loudly on conference calls and the like. People watching videos without headphones drives me nuts.
I agree -and I never meant to link the two thoughts (i.e., to imply that the passers were somehow the source of the noise and general barnyard ambience I've observed).

Many is the time I've gone to the cubicles to do some work only to be driven out by "Mr/Ms Very-Important-Washington-Type" having an overly loud (and often confidential/business proprietary) conversation on their cell phone. Let's keep our voices to an acceptable level, keep our feet off the furniture, keep our small children under control and it will improve the experience for everyone. And I will politely ask people who should be using headphones to kindly do so, even going so far as to offer them a new pair (still sealed in plastic) which I have in my bag for just such a purpose. :-)
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I'm still unclear on how this works, so please forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion: Since OP was on an international ticket and *A Gold, would he not have access to the LH lounge?
Yes OP would - hence my post on the previous page. OP would also have access based on flying *A J. However just because one has access doesn't mean they know about the LH lounge. Many are unfamiliar and it can be a bit of an "under the table benefit" since it's not located anywhere near the UA gates and requires one to know of its existence, of one's eligibility to enter it, and how to navigate IAD to both go to the lounge and make a connecting flight on UA (whose flights whether international or domestic are never in the B terminal where the LH lounge is).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lazard
UA is not gonna stop selling one time passes because it's lucrative and cutting access for *G would hurt UA frequent fliers more than alliance travelers.
I've never actually met anyone who has bought a one time pass. $40 for crackers and cheese?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:39 am

Why? Because of the reciprocal benefit? Scheme it for reciprocal access for UC members and not *G. I'm pretty heartless about that <gold benefit because I'm sick of the overcrowding when partners flood the terminal with their heavies departing around the same time and all the *g line up to push crackers into their mouth and throw the wrappers everywhere because they see the club as an overcrowded dump so who cares if the cookies get ground into the carpet.

Buy a membership or go to your own airline club where you have a membership.

Exactly
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
I've never actually met anyone who has bought a one time pass. $40 for crackers and cheese?
And watered down everclear...

Originally Posted by seenitall
Maybe I'm selfish, but I would not recommend cutting off *G access on international itineraries. If UA did that, I must assume that other *A airlines would follow suit. Getting access to (much superior) lounges at foreign airports due to my MP Gold/*G status is one of the most important MP benefits I receive.
This...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, as long as we're on IAD UC subject...

I have (if the planes are on time) a 1:50 layover at IAD Monday afternoon between UA flights SFO-IAD-FCO. Is that amount of time (I tend to board last) worth the schlep over to B and the Lufthansa lounge? Looks like a train and walk almost length of concourse is required to get there, plus possibility of another lengthy journey back, depending on departure gate. I find the UC club they carved out of some ramp operations area to be the pit (literally). Just want to make sure the extra time to B is worth it vs the layover time I have.

Thanks. And if there's an easier option than the train, I'd appreciate that advice too...

"I've never actually met anyone who has bought a one time pass. $40 for crackers and cheese?"

Yeah, but white-powdered donut holes...mmmmmm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
How do you figure the 2 passes on the chase card is culprit in over crowding the clubs? I'm genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion. For myself I'd like to see UA stop selling one time passes altogether or, cut access to the club for *gold (keeping intact UA gold) on int'l travel.

I'd suggest they go the way of DL and make the cost prohibitive to casual travelers but I don't trust UA to make improvements at the same time.
Exactly how do you propose they do that? I have no idea of the inner workings of *A, but I would venture to guess that cutting *G lounge access isn't an option. And I wonder how many people actually buy those one-time passes to make a difference in capacity.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I'm in one or more of the IAD UCs at least once a week and I very often overhear discussions relating to the free passes. Plus there's usually a queue to get in and I often see people presenting the passes.
I don't actually pay attention too closely so I've never seen it but I don't disagree you at all if that's your experience. The only time Other People's method of admittance catches my attention is when it's a *g fumbling to get their elite card out to prove to lounge dragons they are allowed.

They do. My partner has a couple times when he thought it was a way to have an exclusive experience... he thought I was being a snob but he soon learned. He's also bought one times when he had big layovers which I think for him is a good deal. He doesn't travel enough without me to come close to making it reasonable to just up to the 500 annual for GM. I complain a lot about the amenities and the condition but I think I get my money's worth and it really does beat the gate. During delays I get cranky hanging at the gate with all the amateurs whining about some minor delay that's not really worth getting worked up about.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I have (if the planes are on time) a 1:50 layover at IAD Monday afternoon between UA flights SFO-IAD-FCO. Is that amount of time (I tend to board last) worth the schlep over to B and the Lufthansa lounge? Looks like a train and walk almost length of concourse is required to get there, plus possibility of another lengthy journey back, depending on departure gate. I find the UC club they carved out of some ramp operations area to be the pit (literally). Just want to make sure the extra time to B is worth it vs the layover time I have.

Thanks. And if there's an easier option than the train, I'd appreciate that advice too...
Ever been? I think it's worth the schlep...fun to enjoy an actual quality club experience there. And you feel like you're in a first world airport being in A/B.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did once, well by that I mean I used the airline fee credit on the Amex Platinum to pay for it. I had a reasonably long layover at ORD and it was December, so I figured might as well use the credit up.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Ever been? I think it's worth the schlep...fun to enjoy an actual quality club experience there. And you feel like you're in a first world airport being in A/B.
Ok, I'll give it a go if SF plane is reasonably on time (or if FCO plane is unreasonably delayed). Is 10 minutes a good guess mid-United concourse to LH lounge?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

"I've never actually met anyone who has bought a one time pass. $40 for crackers and cheese?"

Yeah, but white-powdered donut holes...mmmmmm
If you are actually originating in OGG like I think you are, it definitely will be worth it. There are showers downstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.