Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 March Winter Storm (DC and NYC Area Travel Waivers) and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to current travel waivers: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx
Print Wikipost

3 March Winter Storm (DC and NYC Area Travel Waivers) and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Beyond the usual attribution to incompetence, I also think it might be a factor that issuing a weather waiver for hub cities is probably a bigger deal requiring higher level approvals.

Does United bring in more agents to deal with weather waivers at hub cities? Maybe they need to do preparation beforehand? Of course, if people could book their changes online it would really help. I tried for this one and, though it did give me some options, the option that I wanted was not available online but was available through an agent.

Actually, now that I think of it I'm not in the Same Day Change zone yet, so online rebooking of my flight due to the waiver was an option.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Aaaaaand my flight today has been canceled. Thanks for the unnecessarily limited weather waiver, UA!

(It'll work out, but not having the waiver valid for today was stupid.)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Weather in DC... bad idea to SDC for 3/3am arrival?

Haven't seen any travel waivers yet for DC, but noticed elsewhere that US Air was cancelling a lot of flights. I'm presently set to arrive in DC on United Monday 3/3 at 9pm, but was going to SDC and change to a red-eye arriving at 11am (SFO-LAS-EWR-DCA). But if things go south... if I can make it as far as EWR I could at least take a train to DC.

Any advice welcome. Guess what it comes down to is, if I give up my seats tomorrow morning (SFO-IAH-DCA) for the flight tonight, I probably can't get back my original flights. What does the FT jury think? Thanks-
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Haven't seen any travel waivers yet for DC
You just haven't been looking in the right place.
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 2, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
EWR-DCA will probably be among the first of the flights they cancel. RJs and short flights are among the first to be cut.

The question is when is the weather going to hit. Are you beating it by coming in earlier, or are you better off waiting until later?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You just haven't been looking in the right place.
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx
Thanks for the link. I did do a search on FT. I mean, why would I go to UA for info on UA?

I'm on the left coast; this sort of thing isn't the norm for me. I had seen travel advisories and waivers on the main page previously, not buried in a menu. Guess this time of year they're the norm, not the exception.

Looking at things it appears not to be a good idea to try and SDC; even if I could get as close as EWR, chances are the trains would be sold out.
Originally Posted by channa
EWR-DCA will probably be among the first of the flights they cancel. RJs and short flights are among the first to be cut.

The question is when is the weather going to hit. Are you beating it by coming in earlier, or are you better off waiting until later?
Presently, I'd be getting in after it, arriving 9pm DCA from IAH. If I SDC then I fly into EWR at 6am, DCA about 11am. Looking at recent weather reports, pretty much right at its worst. So it makes sense to stick with what I've got and hope for the best. Means I miss an orientation meeting before appearing at a press conference; really which I wasn't going in green. Cameras and lights aren't fun.

Thanks-
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd change to a Tuesday arrival. Weather tomorrow is supposed to be bad all day.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I'd change to a Tuesday arrival. Weather tomorrow is supposed to be bad all day.
Thankfully Plat status is a big help when things go badly.

Getting in Tuesday would come perilously-close to trip-in-vain. That's why part of me thinks it makes sense to SDC to earlier flights and just keep bumping out to the first one that can punch through.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 2, 2014 at 10:46 am Reason: removed PNR splitting part and posted in relevant thread
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:33 am

When I clicked on "Other flight options" to look for an earlier flight while checking in here at DCA, all it gave me were flights for tomorrow. No thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: CO Plat, Marriott Plat
Forgive me for the rant but, anticpating a flight delay or cancellation I tried to change to an earlier flight out of Newark to Omaha when I checked in last night and all it gave me was an fare difference of $1200 + $200 change fee. I am just gold this year. Now after they cancel the flight and send me out tomorrow am (what makes United think it is going to be better Monday AM, much less even getting to the airport, is beyond me) If they can have operations start their contingency plans early why not let the waiver go into effect at that time to lessen the effect on the airline?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:45 am

What is the presumed reliability of Amtrak EWR-DCA Monday morning, and is it realistic that UA is going to continue flying red-eyes into EWR Sunday night/monday morning? I can catch a lightly-loaded LAS-EWR at 10:45pm tonight, but, if it cancels, then I'm stuck at LAS. SFO-LAS flight leaves at 7:30pm, not close enough to the LAS flight departure to make sure it's a go.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I see they've now added a 3/2 NY and PA waiver. Not sure why those areas have waivers for today but the rest of the east coast storm area don't for today. FWIW, there's not anything happening here yet, but it's about to open up with heavy rain within the next hour, then turning to ice and snow as we reach the night.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I just changed my flight online w/o penalty from Tue 3/4 morning sjc-iad to Wed. to avoid possible flight delays/ irrops.

What is the presumed reliability of Amtrak EWR-DCA Monday morning, and is it realistic that UA is going to continue flying red-eyes into EWR Sunday night/monday morning? I can catch a lightly-loaded LAS-EWR at 10:45pm tonight, but, if it cancels, then I'm stuck at LAS. SFO-LAS flight leaves at 7:30pm, not close enough to the LAS flight departure to make sure it's a go.
Amtrak typically can continue to operate when flights get canceled.
So far Amtrak morning schedule shows no change. I have found Newark Airpt Amtrak station to DC downtown fairly comfy ride.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i dont think they're going to be flying redeyes in on monday morning. many of the flights tonight from west coast to east coast are already grossly delayed or canceled (eg, sfo-iad, san-iad, etc). if you have the flexibility to claim TIV i'd just do it and get a refund. ymmv.

is there a flight back to sfo from las tonight if you do find it's canceled when you get there?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I see they've now added a 3/2 NY and PA waiver. Not sure why those areas have waivers for today but the rest of the east coast storm area don't for today. FWIW, there's not anything happening here yet, but it's about to open up with heavy rain within the next hour, then turning to ice and snow as we reach the night.
I really don't understand why they're being stingy with today. Is there really that much to lose? They're canceling UAX flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.