Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 March Winter Storm (DC and NYC Area Travel Waivers) and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to current travel waivers: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx
Print Wikipost

3 March Winter Storm (DC and NYC Area Travel Waivers) and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Thumbs down 3 March Winter Storm (DC and NYC Area Travel Waivers) and Impact to UA's Operations

Why is United always the LAST to issue a waiver??? I am so frustrated as I know there is no way I'll be flying back to DC on Monday and I'll get stuck in Houston! I'd rather stay in Paradise and fly back on Tuesday. Grrrrr. Every other airline has a waiver...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reason: Misleading thread title
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You can be proactive!!!

Originally Posted by jmkclee
Why is United always the LAST to issue a waiver??? I am so frustrated as I know there is no way I'll be flying back to DC on Monday and I'll get stuck in Houston! I'd rather stay in Paradise and fly back on Tuesday. Grrrrr. Every other airline has a waiver...
Call customer service and tell the agent the weather forecast. An agent may be willing to check weather.com and put some notes on your reservation when he/she changes your reservation. I departed a day earlier to avoid misconnection in IAD in early February. UA issued the waiver about ten hours later after I changed my reservation. Good travel!!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

I know. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
last to waiver, first to cancel, #flyerfriendly!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm a little annoyed as well that they're waiting so long, given I have flights booked via both BOS and IAD which I'd like to change without fee. Well, the agents waived the change fee once already on this itin due to taking an hour to make a fairly simple change to it, so I'm ahead of the game I suppose.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:57 pm

The forecast is saying 6-10 inches of snow, so this not about whether but when. Not sure what UA gains by playing games with this.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:00 pm

It's there now... 36 hours seems like reasonable notice.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scottish_colin
fairly typical -- a hour or two after -- "why has not UA done a weather waiver", the waiver is there .....
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
But only for 3/3-4...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
They just put it up. I'm surprised it doesn't include Sunday, though, given UA will likely cancel several Sunday flights to keep them from getting stranded, and the fact the weather is forecast to develop from the afternoon into the evening depending on the exact track of the storm (changeover to ice or snow is currently late into the evening here).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
They just put it up. I'm surprised it doesn't include Sunday, though, given UA will likely cancel several Sunday flights to keep them from getting stranded, and the fact the weather is forecast to develop from the afternoon into the evening depending on the exact track of the storm (changeover to ice or snow is currently late into the evening here).
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
But only for 3/3-4...
I get that there are lots of things to bash United for, but putting a weather waiver in place 36 hours ahead of time for the actual days there is expected to be weather doesn't seem to be one of them... They exist to smooth out the impact of the weather, not so that people can game the system (which seems to be the intent in a lot of cases).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:38 pm

They exist to smooth out the impact of the weather, not so that people can game the system (which seems to be the intent in a lot of cases).
I am scheduled to fly into IAD on 3/3. I have no interest in gaming the system, I only want to go to work, which I won't be able to do without a waiver.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I am scheduled to fly into IAD on 3/3. I have no interest in gaming the system, I only want to go to work, which I won't be able to do without a waiver.
Have any flights been canceled yet? Has your flight been canceled? Have you been told you won't get there but they won't do anything as the waiver has not been issued yet?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:03 pm

I get that there are lots of things to bash United for, but putting a weather waiver in place 36 hours ahead of time for the actual days there is expected to be weather doesn't seem to be one of them...
Except most of UA's competitors put waivers into effect about 24 hours ahead of UA.

The other problem with waiting is that some people actually want to fly out earlier to avoid the storm, but you give them little time to do so when you wait till 36 hours out.

I'm not sure how you think people are gaming the system. I doubt anyone bought tickets at bad times with the hope that bad weather would come along and give them a waiver to change to better times. Trust me, in my case, I would have rather stayed with my original flight time, however flying out of IAD on Monday morning would be a nightmare. Even by the slim chance that UA operates the flight, just trying to drive to IAD could be a nightmare.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
But only for 3/3-4...
The snow is supposed to end by Monday mid-afternoon. Sure, 3/3 is going to be a mess. But Tuesday shouldn't be too bad, except for more frequent (consequential) overbookings...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.