Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Obligatory: Delta to go rev based for earning miles, when will UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obligatory: Delta to go rev based for earning miles, when will UA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:25 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
With the *A being so large, we can just change FF programs.

A3, AC, AV and others gives 100% miles for most UA fares.

Really thinking of just doing the missing 140K for my MM and mess with another program after this...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
So, based on the DL "scoring/earning" miles. My last trip to SIN in J nets me roughly 80,000 miles scored. Is there a class of cabin bonus with that as well?

For comparison, the "other" method on AA/CX is just over 50,000?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
if UA matches AA will be the big winner!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This would work well in my favor as a domestic warrior ... I keep booking > $1000 EWR-CMH runs and would net 11,000 miles for it (at the 11:1 ratio mentioned)?? That's a whole lot better than the 1,000 I get today.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by why fly
if UA matches AA will be the big winner!
...until they go the same way as the thers... word is that US was looking to do this prior to the merger. This kind of system has quite the appeal to the bean counters.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This would work well in my favor as a domestic warrior ... I keep booking > $1000 EWR-CMH runs and would net 11,000 miles for it (at the 11:1 ratio mentioned)?? That's a whole lot better than the 1,000 I get today.
It might do well given the current award ticket structure. That's changing (at DL) as well and I doubt they're going to be more generous.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DWFI
DOJ should be patting itself on the back for looking out for consumer interest and letting the industry consolidate and collude.
DING, DING, DING, DING.....eventually I see regulations coming from DOT at some point to address rising consumer concerns.

If the government really wanted to mess with the airlines they'd toy with the idea of allowing foreign carriers to do certain domestic routes, especially profitable ones like NYC-West Coast
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:10 am

With only three airlines "competing," the airlines do not need FF plans. Their planes will be full anyway, there is no where else for passengers to go. Next step: FF miles earned only for overseas trips.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
You're forgetting the elite bonus - but of course it's still short.

This is great for those who spend OPM at a rate greater than ~20 CPM. For everyone else, it's a loser.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Indelaware
With only three airlines "competing," the airlines do not need FF plans. Their planes will be full anyway, there is no where else for passengers to go. Next step: FF miles earned only for overseas trips.
The airlines absolutely need FF plans. They earn billions of dollars from selling FF miles to credit card cmpanies.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
DING, DING, DING, DING.....eventually I see regulations coming from DOT at some point to address rising consumer concerns.

If the government really wanted to mess with the airlines they'd toy with the idea of allowing foreign carriers to do certain domestic routes, especially profitable ones like NYC-West Coast
I don't think the government cares about the devaluation of frequent flier programs. The government cares about price and access (well, safety too).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is great for those who spend OPM at a rate greater than ~20 CPM. For everyone else, it's a loser.
Before all the OPM'ers start cheering over these changes, next step: give points to the paying entity only, not the person spending OPM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think the government cares about the devaluation of frequent flier programs. The government cares about price and access (well, safety too).
The IRS has different cares. In the past it has been suggested that airlines avoided revenue-based programs to avoid problems with the IRS. I suppose they're no lnger concerned about that now.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
So, based on the DL "scoring/earning" miles. My last trip to SIN in J nets me roughly 80,000 miles scored. Is there a class of cabin bonus with that as well?
Perhaps you missed it -- one of the hidden gems of the new DL prgram is that no ticket will earn more than 75000 miles:
(2) Miles earned for base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding government-imposed taxes and fees. Miles earned per USD spent includes Medallion mileage bonus. Subject to a maximum of 75,000 miles per ticket.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 26, 2014 at 6:44 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goingbananas

For comparison, the "other" method on AA/CX is just over 50,000?
Not valid comparisons as the "value" of the miles is different, as is availability of award seats...and DL is changing to a 5 tier redemption chart as well. No one has any idea yet how to accurately compare....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
How long before the cost of an award is based on the cost of the ticket, like WN and VX?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Perhaps you missed it -- one of the hidden gems of the new DL prgram is that no ticket will earn more than 75000 miles.
Wow. So avoid spending more than $5,770 on a ticket then. (75,000/13).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.