Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Obligatory: Delta to go rev based for earning miles, when will UA follow?

Old Feb 25, 14, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...revenue-based/

http://insideflyer.boardingarea.com/...miles-revenue/

This could get ugly quickly.

UPDATE (2/26/14):

Link to Delta announcement
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...SM_15_announce

Last edited by adambadam; Feb 26, 14 at 10:04 pm
Old Feb 25, 14, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
A year, maybe two.

This is really going to hurt the bulk fare folks who will earn 0 PQD/RDM.

But wow this is good for folks travelling on Other Peoples Money (as long as it's not bulk fare)... $15k J fares earn ~175k miles instead of ~25k they do today.

Last edited by mduell; Feb 26, 14 at 12:03 am
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:01 am

How is AMEX CC think? if UA follow, how is chase think?
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Does that mean 0 miles for anyone who books BULK tickets or tickets on Star Alliance partners not on 016 stock?
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
Does that mean 0 miles for anyone who books BULK tickets or tickets on Star Alliance partners not on 016 stock?
seems a bit premature
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:12 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
I know that I will get flamed for saying this... but if (big if) Delta fixes its reward web-site and actually opens up some inventory at the lower level (and I think they have to) this would (for me anyway) be a net positive.

I have always said that I can fly anywhere in the us for $1100. Since $1050 of that is the airfare, absent an odd routing, the new reward points (5 for GMs, 7 with credit card to 13 for DM with credit card) would be more rewarding.

And on some routing I do often (e.g. SFO-SEA) where a RT trip for a business traveler is roughly $600 to Delta/AS/UA/VX, the delta miles (7800 miles) will be far better than what I get on AS/UA now (2712 miles).

Bottom line, those doing cheap transcons will lose, those flying more last minute fares or shorter more expensive trips will win big.

I think the devil will be in how they fit in partner reservations. They say its by a percentage of fare class.

So if they do this switch, but actually enhance reward availability (which is bad on DAL) then for some its a win, unlike SWA's program (or VXs) which are useless...
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
A year, maybe two.

This is really going to hurt the bulk fare folks who will earn 0 PQD/RDM.

But wow this is good for folks travelling on Other Peoples Money (as long as it's not bulk fare)... $15k J fares earn ~175k miles instead of ~25k they do today.
That's a startling figure.
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SQ/QR Enthusiast

Ugh so awful.
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Smisek and Tricky Dick have been leading the charge into devaluation. My guess is the time until the UA response is measured in weeks, months at best... not years.

The three-tiered award chart has been used to fleece customers since its inception. It's only going to get worse with five tiers. I'm of the opinion this is only a temporary proxy for pure fare-based redemption. Within a few years, they'll boil the frog and get there too.
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Interesting. As pointed out in the article, this is in line with how hotel programs run. The only difference being, spend has no bearing on status in a hotel program.

So for a true parallel, UA should remove PQD's, but give me more miles if I spend more. You fly a lot, you get treated well on the plane. You spend a lot, you have currency with which to fly for free, or upgrade etc.

That's not the worst idea in the world - but that's not quite how it's going down.
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:49 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Interesting. As pointed out in the article, this is in line with how hotel programs run. The only difference being, spend has no bearing on status in a hotel program.

So for a true parallel, UA should remove PQD's, but give me more miles if I spend more. You fly a lot, you get treated well on the plane. You spend a lot, you have currency with which to fly for free, or upgrade etc.

That's not the worst idea in the world - but that's not quite how it's going down.
Hilton status is based on base points (which are largely spend based) or number of nights. Not sure about other hotel status programs, but it doesn't really jibe with what you are saying. There was a blurb on USA Today that DL status qualification will not be changing (i.e. it will continue to based on miles or segments and MQD's).
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Sounds good. I tend to book higher fares for flexibility, so if higher fares means more miles sounds all the better to me.
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:55 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
UA will follow soon... hopefully AA will not...

Hey UA fliers - as you abandon UA when they follow DL on this, and us DL Medallions abandon DL as many of us are vowing to do, should we all go with AA or make our own new airline?
Old Feb 26, 14, 1:02 am

Programs: United 1K/MM
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket View Post
UA will follow soon... hopefully AA will not...

Hey UA fliers - as you abandon UA when they follow DL on this, and us DL Medallions abandon DL as many of us are vowing to do, should we all go with AA or make our own new airline?
Err, UA fliers are still getting over the UA/CO merger and won't be inclined to relive the bitter experience over at AA/US - which will most definitely pursue the revenue model. Better the devil you know, I'm afraid.
Old Feb 26, 14, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this and how I/others would be affected in a program like this. May take a while. I had started to write something thinking status miles would be earned equal to redeemable miles. Sounds from the USA Today article like that may not be the case, and status earning will be the same as it is today.

If status is earned the same way, then yes, earning value goes down for most people, likely, and it gets harder to redeem to build up and redeem for a trip. But at least the status hurdle won't change.

Last edited by emcampbe; Feb 26, 14 at 1:09 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: