Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sCO 739/739ER vs sUA 739ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is just all a bunch of nonsense and make-believe.

"awful oxygen level"
Speaking for myself, I have noticed that I get headaches on the 739. I have seen other postings from other members indicating the same, and only on the 739. I have recently purchased a pulse/ox to check my O2 levels because I have felt myself getting dizzy and drowsy at different times on the aircraft.

With nearly 2 million miles under my belt, I've never had these symptoms on any other aircraft.

Something's not right with the O2 mix.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

UA is jumping the shark with retiring the 757's, while maybe not the best with fuel they are much better (in my opinion) comfort and range/performance wise.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is just all a bunch of nonsense and make-believe.

"The thing uses the entire runway" Why do you care?

"awful oxygen level"

"rattles all the way up to 30K" (I guess you prefer the high-pitched airbus whine?)

"extremely more comfortable"

"And yes as far as First Class, I can't even put my backpack in front on an aisle seat. The aircraft is just uncomfortable from the minute you step on board." What does this have to do with the 737 itself?
As far as. oxygen it's true. My oxygen is lower on a 739. How do I know? I've measured it. In 20 years of flying never has my oxygen dipped on an aircraft like the 739's. It does not dip on 737 or 738 or any other aircraft. Say what you want but I'm not alone.

As far as the other stuff. Ya I care. Fly lower more turbulence, less comfort. The cabin is not comfortable in every way for me. After 90 minutes, I have a migraine. ORD-SFO, my main route is full of them. I avoid it.

As far as first class, that is UA's fault. No legroom, and if you board last, a backpack doesn't even fit in the aisle. I'm not placing it between the aisle and window as it's not fair for the window passenger. And this again, I'm not the first to complain about. FA's see it all the time.

Talk to pilots, who yes I know alot of sUA pilots, they tell you how awful the 739 handles. I'm married into the UA family, I know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Speaking for myself, I have noticed that I get headaches on the 739. I have seen other postings from other members indicating the same, and only on the 739. I have recently purchased a pulse/ox to check my O2 levels because I have felt myself getting dizzy and drowsy at different times on the aircraft.

With nearly 2 million miles under my belt, I've never had these symptoms on any other aircraft.

Something's not right with the O2 mix.
Have you checked them? It will scare you on the difference. It does not happen on 738 flights. I have only tested with the ER version and I'm curious if the non ER version has the same issue.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 26, 2015 at 5:14 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Last time I went YVR-IAH , Exit row, water started pouring on my seat (from the window) . I would say about half a cup in 10 minutes. Was quite scared.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:16 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by airplanegod
UA is jumping the shark with retiring the 757's, while maybe not the best with fuel they are much better (in my opinion) comfort and range/performance wise.
Um, when did the new UA put pax comfort before profit$

Oh, and I almost forgot how much I loved those overhead CRTs
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Have you checked them? It will scare you on the difference. It does not happen on 738 flights. I have only tested with the ER version and I'm curious if the non ER version has the same issue.
Thank you SFO 1K and LASUA1K - I did not know about this (just always felt a bit strange on a 739).

"The thing uses the entire runway" Why do you care?
Because one would rather have some margin for error. If I am taking off from 4L/22R at EWR, which is 11,000 ft. long, and the standard takeoff run of a 739ER at MTOW is 8200 ft., that margin is 2800 ft. Frankly, I prefer a 5000 ft margin of a 757 or A32X.

And if anyone thinks that never comes into play, Emirates Flight 764 (April 2004, Johannesburg - involving A343, another great takeoff performer) should prove otherwise...

Last edited by nikolastojsin; Jan 26, 2015 at 4:40 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
And if anyone thinks that never comes into play, Emirates Flight 764 (April 2004, Johannesburg - involving A343, another great takeoff performer) should prove otherwise...
Long roll was due to bad settings and pilot error according to the incident report
Though the A343 in general is slow....
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Long roll was due to bad settings and pilot error according to the incident report
Though the A343 in general is slow....
True enough - however, the point here is that there was not enough runway left for them to correct once they realized the error... because A343 required so much runway to begin with.

Not to exonerate the pilots, but if there is a settings error similar to EK764, I would rather be in a plane that requires 5000 ft. of runway to get off the ground than one that requires 10,000 ft...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True enough - however, the point here is that there was not enough runway left for them to correct once they realized the error... because A343 required so much runway to begin with.

Not to exonerate the pilots, but if there is a settings error similar to EK764, I would rather be in a plane that requires 5000 ft. of runway to get off the ground than one that requires 10,000 ft...
To be on the safe side, perhaps you should stick to helicopters, hot air balloons, and other VTOL-capable aircraft
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Sorry to disappoint some of you guys, but but if weights and temperatures permit it, airline SOP is to take off at reduced power. Thus, even if firewalling your bird (be it A or B) will allow it a short takeoff, thrust levels will be set so as to use far more runway. This is because full power takeoffs put more strain on engines (and eventually will result in more MX) than reduced-power takeoffs.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by kale73
To be on the safe side, perhaps you should stick to helicopters, hot air balloons, and other VTOL-capable aircraft
And teleportation would be even better; sadly, not really realistic, is it?

Look, different people, different concerns - I have discovered in the past couple of years that I am just not comfortable on a 739ER, and its lack of power is a very minor part of it, but it is there.

The oxygen level, on the other hand, is something quite interesting - thank you (again!) SFO 1K and LASUA1K!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
On an episode of Shark Tank I recently watched on a UA flight, the "sharks" heard a pitch from some scam artist about "negative ion" wristwatches. Which strike me as having about as much reality to them as this "oxygen levels" discussion.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:11 am

On an episode of Shark Tank I recently watched on a UA flight, the "sharks" heard a pitch from some scam artist about "negative ion" wristwatches. Which strike me as having about as much reality to them as this "oxygen levels" discussion.
Please get a pulse oximeter. Try it out. It is not fiction. If you are near ORD, I'd be more than glad to buy you one. I'll be in SFO tomorrow, if you are in that area, I'd be more than glad to deliver one to you.

Before you knock it, please try it. I'm not alone in this.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:20 am

And teleportation would be even better; sadly, not really realistic, is it?

Look, different people, different concerns - I have discovered in the past couple of years that I am just not comfortable on a 739ER, and its lack of power is a very minor part of it, but it is there.

The oxygen level, on the other hand, is something quite interesting - thank you (again!) SFO 1K and LASUA1K!
We are not alone in this. You are now the 4th or 5th to make the same comment. I'll send you a PM of what I've seen and what another flyertalker has also seen. Try it out, I'd be interested to see if you also have the same drop. It may be certain sections of the aircraft, I'm not sure, but I now book away from it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
...ORD-SFO, my main route is full of them [739s]. I avoid it. ...I'm married into the UA family, I know what I'm talking about.
You just lost a great deal of credibility.

Tomorrow, ORD-SFO has ten nonstops on the route -- zero of which are 739s. Perhaps you should ask your family for a new UA schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.