Wiki Posts
Search

UA WAS to PVG, PEK to WAS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, AA Platinum
UA WAS to PVG, PEK to WAS

I'm flying to China over Labor day 2014. UA WAS to PVG and then PEK to WAS. Best price $1594 with option to upgrade to BizFirst with 30k pt and $600 copay each way. There are only two seats at this price for the potential upgrade. Is this a fair price? Should I go with a consolidator for Biz class seats? Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Definitely a great price at 2794$ which would atleast enable you to earn PQM/RDM and PQD's. The baseline Businessfirst fares are running at $5700 and above. If you have seats available, I would definitely recommend confirming your upgrade now rather than waitlisting it and regretting later on what could be a 15+ hour flight.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
+1, although it's $2700 plus 60k miles, which depending on your valuation is another $600-1200.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked prices throughout Aug and Sept and $1400 was the lowest but there was no upgrade available.

Routing is DCA to ORD to PVG - is a 2 hr layover in ORD adequate for an INTL flight?
Any hints to overcome jet lag quicker?

I appreciate the help!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Do you get the upgrade immediately or do you have to wait until close to departure?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vaflyer888
Routing is DCA to ORD to PVG - is a 2 hr layover in ORD adequate for an INTL flight?
Yes - I have connected that way to PVG and HKG in less time. Boarding usually starts ~50 mins before departure.

People have different approaches on jet lag. My own is to get a few hours of sleep later in the flight, walk around upon arrival at the hotel, and then do my best to get a full night's sleep.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Do you get the upgrade immediately or do you have to wait until close to departure?
I talked to an agent to confirm and yes I get the upgrade immediately because there are two seats available. Afterwards people will be wait listed. So I think it is worth $2800 + $1200 + 60K miles for bizfirst seats.

*Correction* $2800 + 60K total

Last edited by vaflyer888; Feb 12, 2014 at 8:02 am
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:59 am

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked prices throughout Aug and Sept and $1400 was the lowest but there was no upgrade available.

Any hints to overcome jet lag quicker?

I appreciate the help!
2 hours should be just about adequate. See if you can get there from IAD vs DCA. In case of IRROPS, IAD would be better suited to accommodate you than DCA.

Jet Lag avoiding tips:

1) Drink a lot of water starting 2 weeks prior to end of your trip. It helps a lot
2) Exercise, Exercise to be in a better shape
3) try to avoid drinking too much alcohol on the flight (avoid it if you can)
4) Consider taking a sleep Aid (ZZZquil) to get a good shuteye on the flight
5) Consider investing in noise cancellation headphones - you will be glad to shut out the noise.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
2 hours should be just about adequate. See if you can get there from IAD vs DCA. In case of IRROPS, IAD would be better suited to accommodate you than DCA.

Jet Lag avoiding tips:

1) Drink a lot of water starting 2 weeks prior to end of your trip. It helps a lot
2) Exercise, Exercise to be in a better shape
3) try to avoid drinking too much alcohol on the flight (avoid it if you can)
4) Consider taking a sleep Aid (ZZZquil) to get a good shuteye on the flight
5) Consider investing in noise cancellation headphones - you will be glad to shut out the noise.
Great tip about IRROPS! My wife likes DCA for the quicker security lines but we'll go IAD this time.

Does Bizfirst get the noise cancellation headphones?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:52 am

Great tip about IRROPS! My wife likes DCA for the quicker security lines but we'll go IAD this time.

Does Bizfirst get the noise cancellation headphones?
They get their version of "noise canceling headsets". Better than what you get in Economy. But nowhere near Bose ones that you get on LH F . Hence the suggestion for a good personal headset
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
when I fly to Asia, I try to stay up as much as possible. For a 13-14 hour flight, I'll sleep only about an hour or so mid-flight. That way when I land around 7/8pm, I'm decently tired and once I get to the hotel I'm pretty much ready for bed. I've never had a problem going to Asia using this routine.

one the way home, I usually try to take a night flight back to the West Coast...so something like day flight Hong Kong to Tokyo and then overnight Tokyo to LAX. I sleep for 6-7 hours on the NRT-LAX portion and arrived rested and ready for a half-day in USA before heading back to bed.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes - I have connected that way to PVG and HKG in less time. Boarding usually starts ~50 mins before departure.

People have different approaches on jet lag. My own is to get a few hours of sleep later in the flight, walk around upon arrival at the hotel, and then do my best to get a full night's sleep.

Thanks for the advice. There is a flight with a one hour layover but I think that is cutting it too close.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
They get their version of "noise canceling headsets". Better than what you get in Economy. But nowhere near Bose ones that you get on LH F . Hence the suggestion for a good personal headset
Looking up the headphones now on Amazon!

Originally Posted by ckidder331
when I fly to Asia, I try to stay up as much as possible. For a 13-14 hour flight, I'll sleep only about an hour or so mid-flight. That way when I land around 7/8pm, I'm decently tired and once I get to the hotel I'm pretty much ready for bed. I've never had a problem going to Asia using this routine.

one the way home, I usually try to take a night flight back to the West Coast...so something like day flight Hong Kong to Tokyo and then overnight Tokyo to LAX. I sleep for 6-7 hours on the NRT-LAX portion and arrived rested and ready for a half-day in USA before heading back to bed.
Thank you for the advice. We get in at 1:55 pm so we'll turn in early. Then go on a tour the next morning. When we get back we leave 6:25 pm and arrive 7:55 pm EST. It takes me a long time to get over jet lag!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Or you could do this on Air Canada (DCA-YYZ-PEK) in Z for $4192. You earn 150% PQMs and nearly double the PQDs if you can ticket on 016 stock given that upgrade co-pays don't count. And the hard product is superior. If you value 60k miles at $900 (1.5cpm), by flying AC you're basically paying $800 extra for ~7000 extra PQMs/RDMs, a better seat, and more PQDs. Not saying AC is clearly the better option but it's certainly worth considering.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbsay
Or you could do this on Air Canada (DCA-YYZ-PEK) in Z for $4192. You earn 150% PQMs and nearly double the PQDs if you can ticket on 016 stock given that upgrade co-pays don't count. And the hard product is superior. If you value 60k miles at $900 (1.5cpm), by flying AC you're basically paying $800 extra for ~7000 extra PQMs/RDMs, a better seat, and more PQDs. Not saying AC is clearly the better option but it's certainly worth considering.
No lifetime miles if that is important for making xMM on UA though.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
No lifetime miles if that is important for making xMM on UA though.
Good point!

Originally Posted by jbsay
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I need to look into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.