Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by g46r
Indeed - what happens if you have IROPS? If you want to go A-C but you buy a multi-segment A-B, and B-C. Let's say A-B is late (or worse even, A-B is cancelled and UA re-routed you A-D-B, arriving at B much later), what's UA's obligation to get you to C? Are you effectively a no-show for B-C because you booked multi-segment?
No. They all get ticketed together.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Holy Hidden Fares Batman (aka UA Rip-Offs 101)

Dirty Tricks, UA Style

And then there is the part where they change the price being charged for the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS depending on how you ask about them.

United is pricing tickets differently based on how you search. If that is not misleading and deceiving then I don’t know what is. An itinerary should have a single price for a passenger, not a variable number depending on which specific clicks one makes to get to the final page. Consumers are getting screwed and many likely don’t even know it.
Please pardon me if this violates any FT rules or copyright laws, but the link above is fascinating and infuriating and potentially very lucrative (via cost savings) all at the same time. I’m absolutely guilty of not knowing this information and probably gave UA many hundreds of dollars unnecessarily in the past.

Basically, as per the link, UA’s website flight search function, when using the “Round Trip” tab for itineraries involving connecting service, often does not offer the lowest UA fare. For such itineraries, using the “Multiple Destinations” tab often offers significantly lower fares.

Just as the author did, I tried a couple of sample dates and itineraries. For a weekend in May, selected JFK-SFO-BUR-SFO-JFK flights, via Round Trip (JFK-BUR-JFK) search resulted in a fare of $632. The exact same dates and flights, via Multiple Destinations search resulted in a fare of $392, nearly a 40% savings. (Never mind the apparently random $258 fare which UA offers periodically for this itinerary.) Same weekend, selected LGA-IAH-LAS-DEN-LGA flights, via Round Trip (LGA-LAS-LGA) search resulted in a fare of $432. The exact same dates and flights, via Multiple Destinations search resulted in a fare of $381, not as large a difference but significant nonetheless. Doesn’t always work that way but quite frequently it does.

The point is, when searching for fares on the UA website, it would be prudent to search the exact same flights via Round Trip search and via Multiple Destinations search before giving UA any hard earned dollars.

Thank you very much Seth, you've most definitely done your good deed for the day! ^^^
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:04 pm

UA is not intending to offer the cheaper fares. It's a bug. How people think this is a "dirty trick" is completely beyond me. Thanks to recent attention (from people who I am completely shocked to learn didn't already know about the big, frankly), it will probably be fixed soon.

What silliness.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What silliness.
^ +1
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
UA is not intending to offer the cheaper fares. It's a bug. How people think this is a "dirty trick" is completely beyond me. Thanks to recent attention (from people who I am completely shocked to learn didn't already know about the big, frankly), it will probably be fixed soon.

What silliness.
I fly an awful lot always on my own dime and I didn't know anything about it. How long has this "bug" been around? and more importantly what makes you believe it will probably be fixed soon? UA hasn't been able to fix anything that i know of.

Admittedly, I am not a travel blogger but i certainly appreciate it being uncovered and published by Seth.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I fly an awful lot always on my own dime and I didn't know anything about it. How long has this "bug" been around? and more importantly what makes you believe it will probably be fixed soon? UA hasn't been able to fix anything that i know of.

Admittedly, I am not a travel blogger but i certainly appreciate it being uncovered and published by Seth.
It's been around, so far as I understand, at least since the switch to CO's systems. Some have said longer.

Seth didn't "uncover" anything. He brought something that has been discussed here for a long time to a larger audience.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's been around, so far as I understand, at least since the switch to CO's systems. Some have said longer.

Seth didn't "uncover" anything. He brought something that has been discussed here for a long time to a larger audience.
Fair enough but I appreciate it nonetheless.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
If it's been around that long, it no longer deserves to be defined as a glitch. A glitch is fixed in a reasonable time frame. A few days, sure. Longer, no way. We're talking about customer pricing here, not some obscure page on the web site.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
You may think it's a bug.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Never attribute to malice that whch can easily be explained by incompetence.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
You may think it's a bug.
An old engineering adage is that a feature is just a bug that marketing finds out about. Or in this case, a feature is just a bug that someone learns to exploit.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.

What silliness.

With all due respect mgcsinc, this is anything but silliness. Are you part of UA’s IT department? How do you know it’s bug? You state it as if it’s a fact, is that true or is it merely your opinion? Sorry to have shocked you but your gratuitous implication that I will in some way be responsible for eliminating this “bug” is unnecessary.

I’ve been a fairly active member of this site for several years and I’ve never read anything about it and 3 different Google searches didn’t reveal any discussion of this subject here at FT. And in just 30 minutes or so at least one other person has replied on this thread that it’s news to them also. Please do refer us to where it’s been “discussed here for a long time”.

If you have something helpful to contribute to the discussion, e.g. a link to prior discussions, please do so. If I’ve re-started something that’s been discussed here before please show me where and I’ll delete my post or ask the mods to move it. Otherwise your posts are just further examples of flames; perhaps more like flickers, but flames nonetheless.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It's not just UA; a similar "bug" occurs on delta.com too. This is just one more reason to use multiple sites when searching for fares, such as ITA.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This bug (workaround to UA fare rules to our advantage) is already extensively discussed (once again) in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ineraries.html
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

I’ve been a fairly active member of this site for several years and I’ve never read anything about it and 3 different Google searches didn’t reveal any discussion of this subject here at FT. And in just 30 minutes or so at least one other person has replied on this thread that it’s news to them also. Please do refer us to where it’s been “discussed here for a long time”.

As WineCountryUA noted, we've already discussed it, and it really only applies on connecting itineraries, where the two separate legs "might" cost less than when applied together. It does not apply to any direct O/D flights.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Never attribute to malice that whch can easily be explained by incompetence.
You may very well be correct in that Hanlon’s Razor could explain it. I submit however, that in 2014, with our intensely competitive and cutthroat version of capitalism, the inverse could just as easily also be true:

Never attribute to incompetence (mistakes) that which can easily be explained by malice (greed).
Hanlon's razor is an eponymous adage that allows the elimination of unlikely explanations for a phenomenon. It reads: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Another similar quotation appears in Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774):
...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent.
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe[11]

Similarly, Jane West's The Loyalists (1812) includes:
Let us not attribute to malice and cruelty what may be referred to less criminal motives. Do we not often afflict others undesignedly, and, from mere carelessness, neglect to relieve distress?
—Jane West[12]

A common (and more laconic) British English variation, coined by Bernard Ingham, is the saying "cock-up before conspiracy", deriving from this 1985 quotation:
Many journalists have fallen for the conspiracy theory of government. I do assure you that they would produce more accurate work if they adhered to the cock-up theory.
—Bernard Ingham[13]
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This bug (workaround to UA fare rules to our advantage) is already extensively discussed (once again) in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ineraries.html
Originally Posted by aacharya
As WineCountryUA noted, we've already discussed it, and it really only applies on connecting itineraries, where the two separate legs "might" cost less than when applied together. It does not apply to any direct O/D flights.
Thank you very much. As I wrote, Google searches did not reveal that (now merged) thread.

MODS: If possible, please merge the threads. (Although, with all due respect to Seth, my title is much better! )

Edit: I see it was already done, that was fast, thank you. (Still think my title is better! )

Thank you again Seth.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:33 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.