FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archived pre-2015 posts in GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I have not managed to clear any SYD flights either with fares as high as M. Try routing through MEL. I have cleared a few.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SydUAflyer
Hi,

A disgruntled 1k member from Australia. I don't know whether 2019 has been just a sheer bad luck for me so far (three GPU upgrades that did not go through) or whether there are some structural problems that I am not aware of (new policy for international 1Ks, new policy for more monetization of revenue fares, new policies regarding the priority between GPUs vs miles + copay, etc). I saw a thread where people post their success stories with GPUs, but it would be equally useful to see how people do not get their GPUs honored.
For me this year, here are some of my sour experiences with GPU.

1. Flight:UA863 SFO-SYD
Date: Feb 2019
Purchased: Sep 2018
Fare class: W

2. Flight: UA863 SFO-SYD
Date: March 2019
Purchased: Jan 2019

3. Flight: UA101 IAH-SYD
Date: May 2019
Purchased: March 2019

Given these experiences, I decided to use GPU for Lufthansa flights, all of which got instantly upgraded.

Anyone else with similar bad luck this year?
Maybe you could check the price difference with V fares which would give you a slight advantage over other 1Ks that only purchase W fares.

Are you trying to upgrade on weekend flights?
Old May 16, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1k since 2010
Well, I am quite price sensitive, so I could only go for W class. Maybe V class might do a trick, but until 2018, I have had near 100% success with upgrades on W class. I notice that this year, United is extremely slow with clearing waitlists. Btw, all of these flights were during weekdays.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Consider this:

Short of EWR-DEL, you're asking for upgrades on one of the most coveted business seats in the route network.
And connecting (SFO) to the most elite heavy and GS-laden hub in the network.
Booking the lowest possible fare class possible for using GPUs.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aacharya
Consider this:

Short of EWR-DEL, you're asking for upgrades on one of the most coveted business seats in the route network.
And connecting (SFO) to the most elite heavy and GS-laden hub in the network.
Booking the lowest possible fare class possible for using GPUs.
Can someone give me a list of the top 10 most difficult flights to get upgraded on?

I thought SFO-SIN was the hardest to get upgraded on.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:43 am

My 2019 GPU clearances:

MSY-IAH-LAX-SYD-LAX-IAH-MSY “W” fare

MSY-SFO-SIN-SFO-IAH-MSY “V” fare

Old May 16, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
GPU Failure Report

And

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...2019-a-12.html
chavala likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've had perfect success in clearing GPUs to and from MEL over the past five years. SYD - LAX also worked for me last year. SYD - SFO and SYD - IAH are much more challenging.

Btw, I always clear at booking. I'm not prepared to play Russian roulette with a flight of that length. If there's no PZ space available, I don't buy the ticket.
FLYMSY and Icydubloon like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Day of the week really matters for SYD.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:41 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
For what it's worth, all 5 of the GPUs I've used this year (all TATL) have cleared more or less at booking. And last December I cleared IAH-SYD and SYD-SFO at booking. I think GPU availability/usability for me has gotten slightly but noticeably better this year. In past years, with the same degree of flexibility and booking patterns, I was mostly waitlisting them. I feel like over the past 3 years, I've gone from hitting 75% (mostly waitlisted) to hitting 100% (half waitlisted) to 100% (almost all at booking).

Obviously, YMMV wildly! It's entirely possible that the availability patterns of PZ (formerly R) have shifted in a way that benefits me, but disadvantages others. But specifically w/r.t. SYD, I feel like it's gotten better -- the increased lift to Australia (IAH-SYD, LAX-MEL added over the past couple of years to the traditional LAX/SFO-SYD) seems to have made things easier if you have flexibility. SFO-SYD on a Friday during the school holidays is (and always has been) tough.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
beginning of this year I did the NZ fare from CDG to WLG, connecting in SFO and SYd. I did 4 of them in one month. on each of SFO-SYD I had a GS next to me complaining that their GPU's did not clear. AS 1K i think that chances of this to clear are close to 0 if a GS can't get it
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Similar good fortune with GPUs this year as GS but dismal luck last year (and previous) as 1K. Unfortunately before I realized that they actually may have some value I blew a bunch or short hop domestic flights early this year as in prior years I basically applied instruments to every flight I booked. Still have I think 2/3 left and will probably hit 1K mid summer.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
Can someone give me a list of the top 10 most difficult flights to get upgraded on?

I thought SFO-SIN was the hardest to get upgraded on.
The hardest routes are those routes where your GPUs have failed.
We don't have a sufficient global view (as individuals) to make a valid list. Loats of anecdotal data is the below threads. But any thoughts on hardest or even easiest will be based on limited personal opinions. Additionally, the time / day of the week and seasonality has a significant impact.

And https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-nowadays.html
Old May 16, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have flights in June 2019, booked in December 2018.

SYD-SFO cleared at booking
SFO-SYD has not cleared and unfortunately it is a Friday flight (a couple of factors locked me into a particular date).

My flights to SYD in December 2017 did not clear so I booked away from United to Air New Zealand (and paid the canx fee) so I could be in their Premium Economy. NZ in Premium Economy is so worth
It. The sooner United puts Premium Plus on the flights to SYD the better as it makes the long haul flight more tolerable - E+ on the long haul flights is horrible (cannot imagine what it is like in E-).

As the OP noted, there are options. I think the decline in ability to use GPUs changed when they got rid of the three cabin planes to Australia. For a route that is so business heavy and with the competition I am surprised they continue with the two cabin aircraft to SYD.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think the decline in ability to use GPUs changed when they got rid of the three cabin planes to Australia. For a route that is so business heavy and with the competition I am surprised they continue with the two cabin aircraft to SYD.
The 789 is better for upgrades. The 744 had 52 J seats, the 789 has 48, but considerably lower Y capacity, so the J:Y ratio has actually increased.

From what I've read, it feels like upgrades have in general become more available on the Australia routes over the past five years, some individual experiences to the contrary notwithstanding.
findark and Aussienarelle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.