Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
To me it's much likely someone googles "UA shut down my account" -- and FT is the first result with multiple threads....
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
For me -- when I do this search FT is the very first result -- maybe Google knows too much lol

Ah. It all depends on whether one uses "closed" vs. "shut down", apparently.
Then, of course, I am in China and use duckduckgo, not google!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Secondary, incognito account created for the sole purpose of recounting their sorry tale?
I think that's doubtful. Anyone who was a regular reader on FT should know the reaction they'd get from a tale like this. I'm actually one of the (apparently) few who thinks it's plausible someone was using their PPs to upgrade trips for strangers on a "friend's" say-so while not realizing the so-called "friend" was selling the service and I'm not terribly sympathetic.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I think that's doubtful. Anyone who was a regular reader on FT should know the reaction they'd get from a tale like this. I'm actually one of the (apparently) few who thinks it's plausible someone was using their PPs to upgrade trips for strangers on a "friend's" say-so while not realizing the so-called "friend" was selling the service and I'm not terribly sympathetic.
I would agree if that were all the OP said, but with the whining "15 year relationship", "UA won't talk to me", "multiple e-mails" etc., it's doubtful. OP tried to make it look like this is all UA's fault, which is ludicrous.
ContinentalFan and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There has been a recent trend to discuss the OP, while in these circumstances understand the OP's story and motivation is relevant. It is still best to stick to the issue and not psychoanalyze the OP, and stay within the FT rules (12.2).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Wine - agree, but (150 pages on this topic) raises the question of whether (recently) people had their accounts closes or suspended, canceled or whatever - and have been able to get them back
I can understand if an account gets "hacked" - but if it does happen, what are the steps that have been shown to work in getting things sorted out.... even if someone (like the OP suggests) might have been "busted" and a 1 strike and you are out approach regardless of motivation.

-m
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's not mix UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption with sold PlusPoints -- not aware of a report of an hacked account the led to sold PlusPoints. Remedies for hacked accounts are covered in the hacked thread and as mentioned UA seem to be able to confirm if an account has been hacked.
The OP stated they called to apply an upgrade clearly removes hacked as a reason.
SPN Lifer, uanj and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I would agree if that were all the OP said, but with the whining "15 year relationship", "UA won't talk to me", "multiple e-mails" etc., it's doubtful. OP tried to make it look like this is all UA's fault, which is ludicrous.
​​​​​​
To be clear, I have absolutely no clue if the latest person in this thread is guilty or not and this not UA's fault, but IMHO the lack of communication on UA's part is frustrating regardless if it understandable.

Up thread I wrote about my friend who had his AA account hacked and the lack of communication on AA's part was frustrating for him.

As he said, he had nothing to hide, he was willing to comply with whatever AA asked of him, but it was their lack of communication which concerned him.

The initial communication from AA asked my friend to obtain a Police report, as I wrote up thread his local Police department refused to take a report.

My friend replied to the AA email that he went to the Police department (he provided the date and time as well as who he spoke to at Police department), but the Police would not take a report (he provided the Police's reasoning) AA didn't reply, in fact he said it was 6 or so weeks after he replied to AA that they emailed him back, that they closed their investigation and had unlocked his account and restored whatever miles he had in their at the time.

My friend had no idea if AA had received his email, he didn't know what AA was doing or when they would finish whatever they were doing on their end.

Communication is important, the latest person in this thread wanted UA to at least continue to communicate.

Even IMHO if UA replied, we have received your latest reply and it doesn't change our decision, is better than nothing.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kmersh
​​​​​​…we have received your latest reply and it doesn't change our decision...
UA could certainly make that an automated response to e-mails rec’d from banished members. It would solve the accusations of “no response”.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:21 pm

​​​​​​...
Even IMHO if UA replied, we have received your latest reply and it doesn't change our decision, is better than nothing.
UA did
Originally Posted by Unitedcustomer382
Next mail after repeated attempts:
We have reviewed the complete case documentation and must remain firm in our decision. We do not close MileagePlus accounts unless we have concrete proof of a violation. We are unable to grant your request to reopen this account. It is important for us to preserve the integrity of our program for the vast majority of members who participate in accordance with the program rules. We will no longer respond to future emails regarding this account.
Concerning you friend 's incident with AA, As referenced earlier, hacked accounts are handled differently by UA.
Kevin AA and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​
To be clear, I have absolutely no clue if the latest person in this thread is guilty or not and this not UA's fault, but IMHO the lack of communication on UA's part is frustrating regardless if it understandable.

Up thread I wrote about my friend who had his AA account hacked and the lack of communication on AA's part was frustrating for him.

As he said, he had nothing to hide, he was willing to comply with whatever AA asked of him, but it was their lack of communication which concerned him.

The initial communication from AA asked my friend to obtain a Police report, as I wrote up thread his local Police department refused to take a report.

My friend replied to the AA email that he went to the Police department (he provided the date and time as well as who he spoke to at Police department), but the Police would not take a report (he provided the Police's reasoning) AA didn't reply, in fact he said it was 6 or so weeks after he replied to AA that they emailed him back, that they closed their investigation and had unlocked his account and restored whatever miles he had in their at the time.

My friend had no idea if AA had received his email, he didn't know what AA was doing or when they would finish whatever they were doing on their end.

Communication is important, the latest person in this thread wanted UA to at least continue to communicate.

Persons account was not hacked, they even admitted they arranged the upgrades, they are just claiming they did not know their "friend" sold the upgrades. And UA did reply to them and said no account restore for you.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Practically there is low (virtually no) risk -- my wife and I are in a similar boat -- she sensibly kept her last name as opposed to either taking or adding to my hyphenated monstrosity, has an address in DC while I have one in OH, etc. and I've routinely booked her tickets or (attempted to) upgrade her with my miles/PP when she's flying UA -- with or without me. I've also attempted to use my PP for my dad (who only shares 1/2 of my surname and lives in CA) with no ill effects.

Per the literal rules "The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, PlusPoints, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited." However, UA doesn't appear to, thankfully and sensibly, take that as literally as I do instead allowing "transfers" (booking/sponsorship) as long as no sale, barter, or other remunerative quid-pro-quo exists. (It would be nice if this were explicitly stated rather than the nebulous "other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United" and the fact that UA's booking tools allow it.

Based on that and other flyers experiences I have a strong feeling UA only goes nuclear when they have additional proof/evidence that makes the renumeration almost unquestionable, e.g. selling "advice" with PP to a UA insider, or where one of the parties makes an incriminating statement
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, you should be fine, For this recent OP's case there had to be some other unmentioned fact, such as the PlusPoint was trafficked on a public site or the recipient made a point "I paid good money for this upgrade" to an UA employee

The questioning is highly unikely UNLESS they make some statement about having purchased the upgrade -- don't do that and things will go fine.

There should be no concern gifting to someone who you trust not to make an inappropriate statement. And you can protect yourself from the sold on ebay/craigslist by name checking the request. Unfamiliar / unverifiable name -- no go.
Thank you both 👍
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:58 pm

We wish the OP luck but cant but feel they are so SOL on this , they may have had a case had they been able to transfer the PPs to a 2nd party whom then sold them and was the one that actually applied them. But since it was the OP who it seems applied them we dont see any outcome that will be in the OPs favor. We know that AA has done things like this for years never knew UA to have started up as well

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2024 at 9:38 pm Reason: Let's stick to the FT world here; DIcuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.